The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

The only time a Hall Of Fame ceremony has had it's own dvd release was the 2004 ceremony before WM-XX.Since then the ceremony has been included in full as the third disc of the 3 disc WrestleMania dvds. I imagine it will be again this year.

• Paid Members

Did any UK television channels broadcast AWA & World Class at all?...

AWA in itself didn't as far as I know. However, Central TV (the old Midlands ITV franchise) aired a variety of tapes in the late 80s/early 90s including Professional Wrestling from Florida (from the first half of 1989), Global Wrestling (Florida version, not the later Dallas group), and matches from the AWA/World Class/Memphis partnership of late 1988.Early 80s World Class aired here on Lifestyle (an old satellite women's-oriented channel).

AWA in itself didn't as far as I know. However, Central TV (the old Midlands ITV franchise) aired a variety of tapes in the late 80s/early 90s including Professional Wrestling from Florida (from the first half of 1989), Global Wrestling (Florida version, not the later Dallas group), and matches from the AWA/World Class/Memphis partnership of late 1988.Early 80s World Class aired here on Lifestyle (an old satellite women's-oriented channel).
I see. Thanks for that, John. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was once told that AWA aired on ITV (or possibly just LWT) late night in the early 80s, but it's quite possible that I or the person who told me could have been confused, drunk, high, or all of the above...

Why did the USWA have so many title changes?

Depends what you mean. They used to do every title change at all the house shows on the swing (Memphis on Monday, then Nashville on Saturday, Evansville on Monday and Louisville on Tuesday with spot shows inbetween) so pretty much everyone in the territory got to see the title switch hands. If you count each of those as only one though, and you're asking why there were so many different champions, it's simple - it's a low-rent territory and people often didn't stay long so titles had to get moved around a lot. That, along with the fact that hotshotting was in some ways a way of life for Jarrett, Lawler, Dundee and Hales (since they were on such a shoestring budget and needed to do everything they could every single week to try and get some sort of crowd) and that Lawler (and to a lesser extent, Christopher) was THE babyface in the company and needed to be chasing the title as often as possible but also had to convincingly beat every challenge that ever came to him, otherwise his aura would fade and the territory would fade with it.

• Paid Members

Sid came back on Raw in about July/August 1997 to tease being Steve Austin's tag partner (which ended up being Dude Love). Why was his appearance a one off?Was Bret really ready to fight HBK at KOTR 1997 or was it just bait and switch?Why did HBK forfeit the tag titles? Was this because of his backstage fight with Bret when he threatened to quit or was he injured?

Sid came back on Raw in about July/August 1997 to tease being Steve Austin's tag partner (which ended up being Dude Love). Why was his appearance a one off?

It was only a month after he appeared on the King Of The Ring ppv, so he hadn't actually left. He'd just not been used for a few weeks and wasn't again.

Was Bret really ready to fight HBK at KOTR 1997 or was it just bait and switch?

The only sources I have seen were the Power Slam's from around that time, but I was always under the impression that it was supposed to happen before Bret got re-injured.

Why did HBK forfeit the tag titles? Was this because of his backstage fight with Bret when he threatened to quit or was he injured?

After the fight I think he walked out and had no intention of coming back. Throughout 1997 was when he was doing the Kliq sign on tv regularly and according to Hall & Nash was trying to get a release so he could join them in WCW.

Did Lou Thesz & Ric Flair ever wrestle each other? I know Thesz's best days were long behind him when Flair's career was in it's infancy, but knowing how long Thesz was active for before finally retiring, I figured it was still a large possibility.

I am pretty sure that they never did. I have never seen any mention of it over at Kayfabe Memories and Meltzer has never wrote that they have wrestled, and he would certainly have bought it up at some point. On the other hand Lawler has wrestled Thesz.