The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What the hell does the thing about forties and rollies at the beginning of Cryme Tyme's theme mean?

Pop a forty = Opening a 40 ounce beer. These are commonly associated with black ghetto culture, as seen in Spike Lee films, usually sold by scared Korean shop owners. Check your roley = Check your watch (because it's Crime time, you see). Roley being a slang term for Rolex, purveyor of expensive watches. As used in many a hip hop song and blaxploitation movie. Edited by JLM

Pete Gas of the Mean Street Posse... I think it was a version of the Buff Blockbuster/Flipping Second Rope Neckbreaker.

It was Pete Gas, but it wasn't that move. It was a kinda sit-out spinebuster, where, at the start of the move, Pete Gas would have his hands over the face of the oppenent (like a gas mask).

Pete Gas of the Mean Street Posse... I think it was a version of the Buff Blockbuster/Flipping Second Rope Neckbreaker.

It was Pete Gas, but it wasn't that move. It was a kinda sit-out spinebuster, where, at the start of the move, Pete Gas would have his hands over the face of the oppenent (like a gas mask).
It was Rodney who did the Blockbuster, he called it the 'High Society'. Yeah, Posse trivia!

26/8/96 on Monday Nitro in a match with Alex Wright. Wright 'knocks himself out' on the guardrail after falling from the top rope to the outside, but Jericho refuses the win and declares the match a no-contest. Jericho then cuts a promo about how he's here to represent wrestling and WCW and not what the nWo stand for. The match and promo are on the 'Before They Were WWE Superstars 2' DVD release.

26/8/96 on Monday Nitro in a match with Alex Wright. Wright 'knocks himself out' on the guardrail after falling from the top rope to the outside, but Jericho refuses the win and declares the match a no-contest. Jericho then cuts a promo about how he's here to represent wrestling and WCW and not what the nWo stand for. The match and promo are on the 'Before They Were WWE Superstars 2' DVD release.

...and also, helpfully, in the Nitro August 2006 folder I'm currently torrenting. Cheers, La Parka face! :D Edited by gwailofilms

What the hell does the thing about forties and rollies at the beginning of Cryme Tyme's theme mean?

Pop a forty = Opening a 40 ounce beer. These are commonly associated with black ghetto culture, as seen in Spike Lee films, usually sold by scared Korean shop owners. Check your roley = Check your watch (because it's Crime time, you see). Roley being a slang term for Rolex, purveyor of expensive watches. As used in many a hip hop song and blaxploitation movie.
Further to previous answer, the forty refered to in "Pop a forty" is also slang for Colt 45, a malt liquor popular in black ghettos because it is both cheap and higher in alcohol when compared to normal American beers. It is commonly sold in 40 ounce bottles and wether the "forty" refers to the Colt Forty-five or the forty ounce bottle is open to debate. But as the Colt 45 comes in the 40oz bottles it doesn't really matter. The phrase has been around for at least 20 years, the first time I heard it used was 1986.

• Paid Members

I betcha that went over well with the crowd. :rolleyes:Just wondering how Ted DiBiase turned from being in the nWo to managing The Steiners. How did he turn face?How did Earl Hebner get himself fired? I seen him reffing a match for TNA. Thank you brahs.