The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

With music, the rights for use at a live performance and the rights for use on a recording (video or DVD) are sold separately. Usually the rights for recording are much more expensive.This is why Booker T's music (which WCW originally bought in from an outside group) is used on TV but not on DVD releases, and is also why the performances of America the Beautiful are sometimes cut from WrestleMania DVDs.

• Paid Members

With music, the rights for use at a live performance and the rights for use on a recording (video or DVD) are sold separately. Usually the rights for recording are much more expensive.This is why Booker T's music (which WCW originally bought in from an outside group) is used on TV but not on DVD releases, and is also why the performances of America the Beautiful are sometimes cut from WrestleMania DVDs.

A good example of this in 'regular' TV Shows is in the original last ever Only Fools episode (1996). In the live version, 'Our House' was sung by The Beatles, but on the Video release, it had been replaces with a cover by a woman. Obviously they decided it was too expensive. Other times, the music is left in, such as Simply Red's 'Holding back the years' at Rodney's wedding.Anyone know whether it's a flat fee they pay to use it on DVD or something like a percentage of each sale or does it just vary from deal to deal?Can I also just say, this thread is a great read.

• Paid Members

Incidentally, BBC can use much more "real" music on TV than most channels as they have a deal set up with the industry where they pay a huge flat-rate (divided between the major record labels) and can then pretty much use as much as they like for broadcast without having to get permission.Cheers to Charlie Brooker for that tidbit.

A good example of this in 'regular' TV Shows is in the original last ever Only Fools episode (1996). In the live version, 'Our House' was sung by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, but on the Video release, it had been replaces with a cover by a woman. Obviously they decided it was too expensive. Other times, the music is left in, such as Simply Red's 'Holding back the years' at Rodney's wedding.Anyone know whether it's a flat fee they pay to use it on DVD or something like a percentage of each sale or does it just vary from deal to deal?Can I also just say, this thread is a great read.
anal edit

The outside group WCW bought Booker's music from is likely Kraftwerk, because it sounds incredibly like a song of one of their albums (either Trans-Europe Express or Man Machine, I forget which). He's been using it since the early days of Harlem Heat in WCW in 1993...

Incidentally, BBC can use much more "real" music on TV than most channels as they have a deal set up with the industry where they pay a huge flat-rate (divided between the major record labels) and can then pretty much use as much as they like for broadcast without having to get permission.Cheers to Charlie Brooker for that tidbit.

I believe the Beeb also has a sweet deal for the use of "Happy Birthday", which tends to cost broadcasters a ton to use in any other circumstance. I think Michael Jackson may have been the beneficiary at one point, though not anymore...

Didn't Razor beat Jacob, but couldn't wrestle for some reason? So Savio took his place?

Can't verify that, but Vega definetly did beat IRS in the pre-game show to take Razor's place, and was thus in his fourth match of the night when he took on Mabel in the final. I'd never heard of him before watching the event (my previously frequent access to WWF and wrestling in general was severely limited in early to mid 95), so it was all quite weird to me...

Shite show, great moment though from Michael "Dox Hendrix" Hayes as he claims he's going to translate Vega's Spanish pre-final interview."Tell my mother I love her... If I survive this, I'm gonna quit stealing hubcaps..."

Shite show, great moment though from Michael "Dox Hendrix" Hayes as he claims he's going to translate Vega's Spanish pre-final interview."Tell my mother I love her... If I survive this, I'm gonna quit stealing hubcaps..."

You've melded two parts together. Hayes' first contribution was as Vega made his way to the ring to face Yokozuna in the quarter-finals."I have no chance against the 641-pound Yokozuna. I have no idea what I'm doing out here. I want my mother to know I love her, this could be my last match."The other part was just after his semi-final win over the Roadie."I don't know how I got here.""I'll never be able to beat Mabel. There's no way.""I feel so fortunate, but Mabel's just going to wipe the ring with me. I'm gonna quit stealing hubcaps.""Carlos told him to quit now and save himself. He says he's contemplating that."

You've melded two parts together.

Hey, it's been 11 years and there's no way I'm going back to watch that horrible show again. :D