UFC Vegas: Ankalaev vs Walker 2 - Jan 13 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, NeverYield said:

I'd like to see Strickland win cos he's entertained the fuck out of me lately with his anticsšŸ¤£

You come around here, posting shit like this in the wrong thread? That's not the way things are done here, chief.Ā 

16 minutes ago, David said:

You come around here, posting shit like this in the wrong thread? That's not the way things are done here, chief.Ā 

I'm sure someone mentioned the Strickland fight up above, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Right thread, wrong thread. It doesnā€™t matter to me. Itā€™s the positivity towards Prickland that summoned Disgusted Paulie.Ā 

I don't particularly know too much about him to be honest beyond his last few fights and some clips I've seen of him.

Had a little chuckle on some of the outrageous things he's said on podcasts lately, and when he leapt into the crowd at DPP the other week, but some other things I've seen of him today he is a bit of an idiot isn't he...Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeh, him claiming that the US' batshit gun laws are why "America has real men and Europe doesn't" is him in a nutcase.

• Paid Members

Very late getting to it but I ended up watching this card all jumbled up. Caught some fights on the night, some the next day, then bits here and there throughout the week. Just too much shit going on this week.

Ankalaev vs Walker 2 was alright in the end. I had fears that it might end up being a 5 round stinker but it was very watchable for the round and half it lasted. Shame about the result thoughā€¦

IMB_XVs3eI.gif.1d21e7ee0b1eca19a3c2f58e7a94c278.gif

IMG_0124.thumb.jpeg.af27710003e8b01d32944915dd37c5cb.jpeg

Why does Walker always get knocked out in cartoonish fashion? šŸ˜‚ But yeah, nice finish for Ankalaev. Not really a fan. Heā€™s bored me a couple of times too many. But canā€™t really find fault with this one. Truth be told this is how the first fight shouldā€™ve gone if Ankalaev didnā€™t throw that filthy knee like an idiot.

Wonder whatā€™s next though? My initial thought was Alex Pereira vs Jamahal Hill for the strap. Itā€™s the most logical next move given that Hill never actually lost the belt. Plus thereā€™s the ready made story of Pereira trying to avenge Gloverā€™s loss to Hill. But I saw a clip of Helwani recently speculating that Hill might still be out a while longer yet. If thatā€™s the case, Pereira vs Ankalaev is the only option at 205. Looking at the rankings, there really is nothing else. It has to be Hill or Ankalaev. Guess it all depends on when Pereira wants to get back in there and if/when Hillā€™s gonna be good to go.

Was chuffed to see Jim Miller get another win on the road to UFC 300. Barring injury, he was gonna get a fight at 300 whether he won or lost this fight but obviously itā€™s cooler that heā€™ll now go into that card on a win and with some momentum. Just makes the whole story feel more special. Benitez was game but it always felt like a very winnable fight for Miller. And I think the bit of a late career resurgence and newfound motivation with 300 looming meant he wasnā€™t losing this one.

IMB_w7Sots.gif.81899b3e4364b4c2c972c4c9058c20ae.gif

Nasty. I was glad he found the finish in that last round. He was winning the rounds anyway but a finish always helps. Wasnā€™t Millerā€™s best fight but it was alright. I was just happy with the result.

Obviously by now we all know whatā€™s next.

IMG_0859.thumb.jpeg.00f63506a0b7ba580ec20d7ad5891292.jpeg

Bit of a curveball but Iā€™m happy enough with it. The talk immediately after the show was that Miller might fight Matt Brown at Welterweight at UFC 300. That sounded all kinds of awesome and a matchup Iā€™d have never even considered. I wasnā€™t thinking about fights at 170 at all but Miller vs Brown wouldā€™ve been tremendous. And of course, Paul Felder was the other name being tossed around, with Felder even talking to the media about it post-show as well. This Bobby Green announcement felt like it came out of nowhere but itā€™s definitely a fun one and itā€™s a fight theyā€™ve tried to make a bunch of times over the years so hopefully it happens this time.

Bautista vs Simon was indeed a cracker. No FOTN bonus was awarded but this shouldā€™ve got it. Really good scrap and easily Bautistaā€™s best win to date. Loved his idea of fighting Rob Font next. Thatā€™ll do nicely.

Brunno Ferreira might just have driven the final nail in Phil Hawes UFC career.

IMB_FILRxa.gif.bc381a61666bb3eaa1a05fa1a384e2ad.gif

Christ. Hawes was already coming in on shaky form. Heā€™d lost 3 of his last 4 and been KOā€™d in the first round in all 3 losses. Now Ferreiraā€™s gone and extended it with another first round walloping.

As expected, the Waldo Cortes-Acosta vs Andrei Arlovski fight shat the bed. Admittedly I skimmed through the bulk of this one just because lifeā€™s too short, isnā€™t it? Nobodyā€™s got time for this bollocks. Arlovski, bless him, hasnā€™t had an enjoyable fight in years. And Waldoā€™s generally been rotten to watch bar one fight. This always had high dud potential and thatā€™s exactly what it was. Thing is, itā€™s understandable from Arlovski at this stage. Heā€™s about to turn 45, heā€™s got a ton of miles on him and heā€™s on his last legs. Waldoā€™s supposed to be the new breed though, the young guy coming up. Heā€™s awful. All the taunting and dancing and dicking about doesnā€™t really hit when youā€™re scraping by an old relic in an absolute snoozer. Then he was being a bit of a knob when the fight ended. Shitehawk.

Marcus McGhee put a beating on Gaston Bolanos. It was an enjoyable fight while it lasted but McGhee just seemed to have more fire power in the exchanges and it paid off.

IMB_JeDrgn.gif.61e06987128c2b23dc0decf0c29e1563.gif

That right hook was the beginning of the end. Bolanos never seemed to fully recover from that. Luckily for him that spinning kick never landed flush or theyā€™d still be looking for his head in the stands. Saw a lot of positivity about McGhee on social media after the fight. I donā€™t really know how good he actually is yet though. Heā€™s looked good so far but hasnā€™t exactly been in with the strongest opposition. Juryā€™s out for me but I do like him. Seems a top lad from the few interview bits Iā€™ve seen so far.

Like @Egg Shen said, Jean SilvaĀ stood out on the prelims. Took an absolute age to get in the Octagon. It was a good job the 2 fights prior ended early because he took his bastard time getting in there. After an entrance like that, you better win. He did.

IMB_OImxo4.gif.db4945d73da17d835f4a124bba37f64b.gif

Although Iā€™m not sure what to take from it really. Silva looked vicious but itā€™s gotta be said Westin Wilson is fucking shite. There was talk before his UFC debut that he only got signed because he had ties to one of the matchmakers. And in his first couple of trips to the Octagon, heā€™s definitely looked out of his depth. He was terrible here. Silva was clearly a big puncher and aggressive but Wilson just fannied about in front of him, hands down low, chin up on a flagpole. He was just asking to be chinned and chinned he was.

Nikolas Motta made short work of Tom Nolan. Disaster debut for Nolan this was.

IMB_JG8hDV.gif.60c57b844a633b8446558f760c9d8605.gif

Gone in 63 Seconds. Not much to add other than it was a sweet finish for Motta. Especially after a weird run of fights and results previously.

And if you havenā€™t seen Joshua Van fight yet you should probably fix that. He only made his UFC debut in June and heā€™s gone 3-0 since and was loads of fun to watch in all 3 fights. Got his first UFC finish here as well.

IMB_cKAYAB.gif.bafeffd6da88f4bc3265a3d9381aea36.gif

Seriously, get watching him, heā€™s ace. Sure I read something that he wants to fight ā€œ6 or 7 times this yearā€ as well. That would surely be a record?

Decent little show all in all. Didnā€™t surpass expectations but wasnā€™t bad either.

Edited by wandshogun09