UFC Vegas: Muniz vs Allen - Feb 25 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yet another Saturday night at the Apex this week. Hopefully one of the last times weā€™ll be doing this shitā€¦

9-E760-F72-0-A34-48-ED-868-E-163-D406-EF

ESPN MAIN CARD
Andre Muniz vs Brendan AllenĀ 

Augusto Sakai vs Donā€™Tale MayesĀ 

Tatiana Suarez vs Montana De La RosaĀ 

Mike Malott vs Yohan Lainesse

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMSĀ 
Erick Gonzalez vs Trevor Peek

Gabriella Fernandes vs Jasmine JasudaviciusĀ 

Jordan Leavitt vs Victor MartinezĀ 

Ode Osbourne vs Charles Johnson

Joe Solecki vs Carl Deaton III

Nurullo Aliev vs Rafael Alves

Ā 

Not much better than the Andrade vs Blanchfield card, to be honest. Itā€™s gonna get shat all over. I do think itā€™s a slightly better card overall just because thereā€™s a couple of interesting fights on the undercard but Iā€™m way less into this main event. Oh well. Canā€™t wait for them to finally get these shows back on the road. Itā€™s always ā€œfuck the Apexā€ in this house.

Ā 

3-ABEBEEB-9031-4483-9255-4364-CCD6-FDB0.

Andre Muniz vs Brendan Allen is a good fight. I think itā€™s better than the main event myself. Muniz is one of the real darkhorses of the Middleweight division to me and has been for a while. I donā€™t see him ever becoming champion or anything but heā€™s a tricky fucker to deal with and a potential banana skin for a lot of guys coming up through the rankings. Probably why there isnā€™t a line of 185ers who seem too eager to fight him. Heā€™s 33 years old now, a 3rd degree BJJ black-belt and has a 23-4 record with 19 finishes. 15 of them came by submission. Heā€™s won his last 9 fights in a row and heā€™s 5-0 in the UFC with 3 first round armbar submissions in there. His most notable win to date came in 2021 when he finished Jacare Souza with a brutal armbar, breaking his arm in the process.

image.gif.900fdf2a353165022b839617e0a2ffe6.gif

19-A34639-328-A-49-C1-9-E74-B4-B5-D1-E4-

Nasty stuff. You actually heard the snap on the broadcast. That wound up being Jacareā€™s last fight as well, he announced his retirement a few months later, although there have been rumblings of him returning to grappling competitions and even doing a Boxing match since, it seems the Muniz loss was his farewell to MMA. To finish a decorated BJJ beast like Jacare with an armbar like that is a hell of a feather in the cap. Since then Muniz also armbarred Eryk Anders and then won a decision off Uriah Hall in July. And guess what? Hall then announced his retirement! Fuckerā€™s snapping limbs and ending careers left and right.

144-F0-B6-F-1378-4358-ADF9-D5458-CD06596

Youā€™d think people would be talking more about him but heā€™s almost the forgotten man at 185. This is where Brendan Allen deserves credit. Like I say, there hasnā€™t been a line of guys offering to fight Muniz. But Allen called him out after his last win. No silly fake beef, just genuinely seems to want to test himself in a tough fight, which is always admirable. He originally called for the fight to go down at UFC 283 in Brazil in January, which was even more ballsy. Not only challenging a guy who seems to be being avoided, but wanting to fight on his turf? Fair play. It obviously never got done in time but Iā€™m glad they did make the fight. Allenā€™s no pushover himself either. His confidence will be high coming off a first round sub over Krzysztof Jotko in October. That was a good win for Allen. Iā€™ve made no secret of my complete apathy towards Jotko. Heā€™s a real dullard. The male, Polish version of Katlyn Chookagian. But heā€™s not easy to beat, and even harder to look good against. He was 24-6 and had just beat Gerald Meerschaert going into that fight, so for Allen to strangle him inside a round was good going. Allenā€™s 20-5 now, with 16 finishes and 11 submissions in his own right. Heā€™s won his last 3 fights. This is a legit fight. Iā€™d favour Muniz just because itā€™s probably gonna end up on the ground at some point and, as good as Allen is, Muniz is next level there. But Allenā€™s as game as they come and will be bang up for this. Really looking forward to it.

Ā 

6-F222354-7-B74-4919-B07-D-29-CCFD32252-

Augusto Sakai vs Donā€™Tale Mayes. Yep. Every single card has to have one of these shitty Heavyweight fights. This isnā€™t as bad as some weā€™ve been subjected to of late but itā€™s still not a fight Iā€™m looking forward to. Sakai is 15-5-1 and on a horrible 4 fight losing skid. He was stopped in all 4 fights. He went 4-0 in his first 4 UFC fights, then went 0-4 in his following 4. They matched him up tough in his last 4, to be fair, but thatā€™s the point. Losing decisively to the Overeems, Rozenstruiks, Tuivasas and Spivacs just confirms heā€™s not on that level and never will be. As for Mayes, heā€™s 9-4-0-1 and his best wins are Josh Parisian and Roque Martinez. Yeah. He got ragged about by Hamdy Abdelwahab last time out but then Hamdy got done by USADA so itā€™s a No Contest now. Hopefully this just descends into some wild, sloppy, fun brawl but Iā€™m fully expecting a shite, plodding decision. Remember when Angle, Benoit, Edge, Mysterio, Eddie and Chavo were dubbed the ā€œSmackdown Sixā€ when they were tearing it up in TV matches every week? Well Sakai, Mayes, Parisian, Sherman, Martinez and Collier are basically the ā€œApex Sixā€ and itā€™s the total opposite. Every combination produces pure shite.

Ā 

6-D988-CAE-7-C72-4-BD9-9566-B6-DE0-CBC51

Tatiana Suarez vs Montana De La Rosa is ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā this time. Might seem an odd choice and Iā€™m not sure how good of a fight it will actually end up being but itā€™s the one Iā€™m most intrigued by on the whole card and it hasnā€™t got much at all to do with De La Rosa. Sheā€™s 12-7-1 and 1-2-1 in her last 4. Never really done much of note or been particularly impressive from what I recall. My interest here is all to do with it being Suarezā€™s return after a load of setbacks and a massive layoff. Iā€™ll give a bit of backstory because Iā€™m not sure how well itā€™s known. Her story is pretty crazy.

4650-AEE4-0155-468-D-BEAB-830-E41028483.

16-FC66-F5-1-D68-4-C1-A-B79-C-1-D2197-EE

She started wrestling at just 3 years old after seeing her older brother wrestle and nagging her mum to let her do it. She fell in love with it, became obsessed and as she got older she dreamed of winning Olympic gold one day. She stuck at it and it turned out she was really good. By 20 years old, she was preparing for theĀ 2012 London Olympics.

ā€œGoing into an Olympic year, I was like ā€˜Iā€™m finally going to do what I said I was going to do - Iā€™m going to be an Olympic champ.ā€™ It was so close, and then it happened.ā€ - Tatiana Suarez

The ā€œitā€ sheā€™s referring to is cancer. She went for a MRI because she was suffering with neck pain and during the scan they found it.

ā€œThey said ā€˜By the way, you canā€™t wrestle anymore. Thereā€™s a node on your thyroid you have to get checked out, it might be cancerous.ā€™ Iā€™m like, Iā€™m 20 years old! I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with me. So I go there and they tell me itā€™s definitely cancer and I need to get treated. I was like, what? It was a very difficult time. I stayed to myself. I didnā€™t involve my family too much.ā€ - Tatiana Suarez

It took a long time for her to get through it and get the all clear but during her recovery she discovered Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which naturally led her to MMA. By 2014, she was making her MMA debut.

ā€œI was in a really low place when I found MMA. Wrestling was very serious to me. It was everything, it wasnā€™t a hobby. Even in high school, I didnā€™t have a social life. I didnā€™t go to prom, I didnā€™t even walk at my graduation! I was at Olympic trials. I had a higher goal and it was all about getting that gold medal. So when it didnā€™t go my way, it was very hard to find my way back. But I did. Now Iā€™m here. Iā€™m trying to be the best in the world at this now. I feel like people have seen one percent of what I can do. When everything starts coming together, I 100% believe nobody will be able to stop me.ā€ - Tatiana Suarez

D0765-ED1-1-B19-4-E8-C-9075-6-E0842-A354

She came into the UFC through The Ultimate Fighter back in 2016, won the Strawweight tournament and then followed up with 4 more wins in the UFC. By the summer of 2019, she was undefeatedĀ at 8-0Ā and had beaten Alexa Grasso, Carla Esparza and Nina Ansaroff (now Nunes) in her last 3 fights. The fact that she was a high level grappler in a division more heavy on strikers had people thinking the sky was the limit for her. She brought a different skillset and posed different problems than anyone else in the division at that time. It all seemed to be lining up perfectly. Then it all went wrong again. Another neck injury has seen her forced to the sidelines again. She was scheduled to return in 2021 against Roxanne Modafferi but again had to withdraw through injury. Just fucking brutal. Sheā€™s still undefeated, sheā€™s still relatively young at 32 years old, but sheā€™s now been on the shelf for a whopping 3 and a half years. Weā€™re only a week away from the fight now. Hopefully she can finally stay healthy and start making up for lost time. Who knows how sheā€™ll look now? She was thought to be possibly the next big thing at one point. All bets are off now though. She just needs to get back in there, get herself a win and go from there. Sheā€™s moving up to Flyweight as well. Things are getting very interesting. Shevchenkoā€™s got her upcoming defence against Grasso next month. Thereā€™s always that Taila Santos rematch, weā€™ve just seen Erin Blanchfield emerge as a fresh challenger. Suarez obviously has a lot of work to do but if she can get back on track she can add her name to the mix. Canā€™t help but root for her after all the shit sheā€™s been through. What an amazing story it would be if she can somehow go on a run at the title against all the odds.

Ā 

B7-E0976-A-BFA8-4348-A6-B0-83-F3-CD6249-

Mike Malott vs Yohan Lainesse might seem like a nothing fight at first glance but Iā€™m kind of looking forward to seeing Malott back in there. Heā€™s Canadian, 31 years old and has a record of 8-1-1 with all 8 wins being finishes. He got a quick submission on DWCS in 2021 and made his UFC debut in April against Mickey Gall. The way that fight played out probably had poor Mickey pining for the glory days of fighting CM Punk. It did not go well.

0795-DDE3-C568-4996-A190-E57-D4-B695-D5-

Timmy Malott made him do the old Flair FlopĀ at 3:41Ā of the opening round. Nice debut but he sat out the rest of the year so any momentum he gained from that has fizzled away now. Lainesse is 9-1 with 6 knockouts. Got his arse handed to him in his UFC debut by Gabriel Green and thatā€™s his only loss so far. He bounced back in September with a points win over Darian Weeks.

Ā 

D30-C3157-746-E-4-AE8-8029-6-A447-AB91-F

Erick Gonzalez vs Trevor PeekĀ is a complete patch up job. They were both originally paired off with different opponents but injuries took those guys out so the matchmakers slung these two together. The UFC really hasnā€™t been kind so far to ā€˜Ghost Pepperā€™ Gonzalez. He got knocked out by Jim Miller in his debut, then got subbed quick by Terrance McKinney in his last fight in August. Record standsĀ at 14-7. Thisā€™ll be Peekā€™s first Octagon appearance. Heā€™s 28, undefeated at 7-0-0-1 with 7 knockouts. The one blip was a No Contest in his MMA debut due to an accidental kick in the bollocks. Aside from that, itā€™s been all wins and all by knockout. He stopped ex UFCer Khama Worthy in August and got another KO on DWCS in September.

Ā 

41-AEE792-E0-FE-46-C8-A8-B3-EA71-C46-F9-

Gabriella Fernandes vs Jasmine Jasudavicius isnā€™t leaping off the page. Brazilā€™s Fernandes makes her UFC debut. Sheā€™s 29 with an 8-1 record and 5 finishes. Sheā€™s been fighting for LFA most recently and stopped her last couple of opponents there. Jasudavicius is Canadian, 7-2 overall and 1-1 in the UFC. She won a decision off Kay Hansen in her debut but got completely schooled by Natalia Silva last time out. Not overly impressed by her but I donā€™t know enough about Fernandes to really judge this one.

Ā 

D2-D22-FB1-D6-B3-49-BE-9-AB8-DD93-A0430-

Jordan Leavitt vs Victor Martinez is whatever. I donā€™t mind Leavitt but I havenā€™t forgiven him for losing to Pimblett yet. Itā€™s too soon and heā€™s yet to redeem himself. Heā€™s 10-2 and quite average really. His most noteworthy win is probably his highlight reel slam KO against a washed up Matt Wiman a couple of years back. I like him though because he gets the homophobes of the MMA fanbase (so most of the fanbase) all wound up with his Louis Spence mannerisms. I donā€™t even know if Leavitt is gay, nor do I care, none of our business. I just love the insecurity he provokes in the neckbearded weirdos. Donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen this Martinez bloke. Nickname is ā€˜The Brickā€™ apparently. Like ā€˜The Rockā€™ but rectangular, I guess. Vic ā€˜The Brickā€™. Heā€™s 13-4 and coming off a decision win on DWCS in September.

Ā 

580-BF197-11-B4-446-E-B893-908-CCE06-E86

Ode Osbourne vs Charles Johnson is a decent enough undercard fight. Osbourneā€™s never gonna really advance up the ladder, especially in the stacked lower weight classes, but I usually enjoy watching him. Heā€™s 11-5-0-1 and hasnā€™t really had those standout wins but heā€™s one of those guys I watch and think he should probably be doing a little bit better than he is.

image.gif.11f4dcbee8c41d18846c19d2ebcdc2dc.gif

There he is knocking Zarrukh Adashev dead back in June. Sweet finish. Problem is he then got stopped by Tyson Nam in his next fight in August. He just canā€™t seem to put the wins together for whatever reason. Heā€™s a decent fighter though. I seem to recall even in some of his losses he had his moments. Iā€™m sure he was giving Manel Kape some issues before Kape got the finish. And Johnson is just a tricky little bastard. He lost his UFC debut to Mokaev but he did manage to take Mokaev the distance and make him work for it. Since then heā€™s took a decision off Zhalgas Zhumagulov and finished Jimmy Flick. He also stopped Carlos Mota in the 5th round of their LFA title fight early last year. Heā€™s no joke, heā€™s never been finished and heā€™s not easy to look good against.

Ā 

71-C3-BF73-B188-447-F-9827-04-B7-D035-CA

Joe Solecki vs Carl Deaton III. Not a clue. Soleckiā€™s a pretty good fighter from what I remember seeing of him. Solid grappling, 12-3 record and has wins over Jim Miller, Matt Wiman and Alex Da Silva in the UFC. Heā€™s won 7 of his last 8 and the only loss was a split decision against Jared Gordon. Same Jared Gordon who FUCKING BEAT PADDY PIMBLETT in December! Never forget. Solecki was meant to fight on the Andrade vs Blanchfield card a week earlier but his opponent dropped out and here we are. Never seen this Deaton III chap. Nor did I ever see Carl Deaton II or Carl Deaton I. Heā€™sĀ 33 and fights out of American Top Team. His record is 17-5-0-2 and 12 finishes. Only names I recognise on his record are ex UFC fighter/jobber Justin Jaynes, who Deaton beat on points last year. And Abel Cullum, who submitted Deaton back in 2014. Thatā€™s about it on him.

Ā 

ECA70482-D171-4-E09-AE53-71-ED67627-EB2.

Nurullo Aliev vs Rafael Alves has my attention. Admittedly solely because of madman Alves but a quick search on Aliev and heā€™s also piqued my interest. Heā€™s only 23 years old and 8-0. Got a first round TKO on DWCS in his last fight. Still though, Alves is the ā€˜A-sideā€™ here.

image.gif.d94a0c42dc80fc29885995668ce53c3a.gif

image.gif.aad3cfbbea5c1eb8eed9e595175629ad.gif

šŸ¤£ Little lunatic. Heā€™s never going far, heā€™s got a proper journeyman record of 20-11 and he usually loses when he faces stiff opposition. But heā€™s a lot of fun to watch, has 15 finishes and he does have a first round submission over Marc Diakiese. His last fight against Drew Dober in the second gif there was brilliant. I loved that fight. He got put away with a body shot in the third round but it was tremendous fun while it lasted. Hopefully more of the same here. Tough test for Aliev in his debut.

Ā 

So. Back to the Apex we go.Ā 

B6AFF8D5-A829-4F6E-97C2-7D1DCE752704.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Nothing much to add which we haven't said over the years, wand. The MMA poster award should just be called the "wandshogun09 Award".

BTW, dirty old bollocks that I am, I noticed Hailey Cowan in the write-up:

Hailey_Cowan.jpg?1509768641

• Paid Members

The Jose Johnson vs Garrett Armfield and Hailey Cowan vs Ailin Perez fights are both off. Donā€™t know why, havenā€™t bothered looking, donā€™t really care. Shorter card is probably a good thing anyway and itā€™s an early kick off as well.Ā 

52C4E2CA-3108-4740-9A71-B40D105FBCB7.jpeg

42085748-DD80-4AB4-A8A6-21F5D7C437B0.jpeg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

im sure they just take fights off the Apex cards last minute on purpose to make them abit easier to sit through

Theyā€™ve been a bit smart/crafty this time as well because theyā€™ve put the Rafael Alves fight as the Fight Pass opener so Iā€™ll be tuning in from the start for that at least. Iā€™ll probably check out sometime before the main card starts though and Iā€™ll do my usual Sunday catch up.

The good thing is, like you mentioned before, this is the last card at the Apex for the foreseeable future. Looking at all the upcoming cards after tonightā€™s, all the ones on the current schedule will be in front of crowds!Ā 

F8FB4FA6-FB0C-4333-884A-47EF6DCB0358.gif

I did. I wasnt looking foward to the main event, so the fact that it got cancelled didnt bother me at all. What you were left with was a perfectly watchable main card, that had a solid main event scrap, and that was done in two hours. Perfect for a show like this.

Malott looked pretty good, and finished it with a lovely head and arm. It was fantastic to see Tatiana Suarez back in there, and also look very impressive. The fact she was a weight class higher than she usually is, and still dominated the fight will send a big message to her regular weight class. If she stays injury free, shes easily looking at a title shot come the end of the year.

The Sakai fight was pretty dull, and it was clear that Mayes was easily a few levels beneath him.

The big story was, of course, Brendan Allen subbing the BJJ wizard. Huge victory for him. The striking was pretty much 50/50 for the whole fight, but bizarrely, it was Allen who dominated on the ground in R2 and then before the sub in R3. The R2 ground exchange was very strange, as Muniz didnt do anything off his back, and sort of just accepted defeat. When hes such a high level sub guy, it was very strange how bad he looked in R2 on the ground. Even the back defence that led to the finish just seemed a bit off too. Not sure what happened to Muniz. Fun fight, with a finish which will surely lead to Allen getting a nice opportunity in his next fight.

• wandshogun09 changed the title to UFC Vegas: Muniz vs Allen - Feb 25 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
  • Paid Members
On 2/26/2023 at 5:45 PM, Bruce85 said:

Did anyone bother watching this?Ā 

Well I started watching thisĀ on Saturday night. Watched the prelims live on Fight Pass. Was already starting to feel a bit tired, then the main card kicked off with Megan Olivi telling us the main event was off and that was my cue to hit the sack. Not that 5 rounds of Nikita Krylov vs Ryan Spann was ever worth staying up for, Iā€™d have never lasted. But that announcement was just the kick up the arse I needed to take a long hard look at myself and not give any more of myĀ Saturday nightĀ to another shitty Apex card. Apparently, Krylov vs Spann has been rescheduled for the Yan vs Merab cardĀ on the 11th March. Yay šŸ˜

I said in the opening post that I thought Brendan Allen vs Andre Muniz was a better fight than the main event. So to see it actually become the main event was kind of cool. The way the fight played out wasnā€™t what I expected at all though.

image.gif.c5f1d9dd4383ab1e11ca2d43ec5c3f0a.gif

I donā€™t know if I felt it was more Allen looking class, Muniz looking a bit off or maybe it was Allen forcing Muniz to look off? Either way, there was just something about Allen going into this one. Heā€™s never been a cocky type or that outspoken before but he made a point of calling out Muniz after his last fight, and initially wanted to do it on Munizā€™s turf in Brazil! He clearly saw something in Munizā€™s game that made him fancy it. And it turns out he was right. Now we know why he fancied it. He was always gonna be the better striker but, while heā€™s definitely no slouch on the ground, I thought Muniz would prove too much for him in the grappling. Allen wasnā€™t having it though. I donā€™t think anyone was calling Allen by submission here. That seemed like the most unlikely outcome. Muniz was weird. Seemed to just shrink in there once Allen started to get rolling. Thought he was starting to look a bit tired and demoralised from fairly early on.Ā 

Strong win for Allen. Thatā€™s twice in a row now heā€™s gone in there and submitted awkward tricky fighters. Jotko and now Muniz. And heā€™s calling out everyone now. Since the winĀ on Saturday nightĀ Iā€™ve seen him call for a Sean Strickland rematch, a Chris Curtis rematch, and heā€™s name dropped Jack Hermansson and Dricus Du Plessis. The DDP fight would be fun.

Augusto Sakai vs Donā€™Tale Mayesā€¦yeah, no comment.

The Tatiana Suarez comeback was the highlight of the show for me and a real feel-good moment. With the shite sheā€™s been through in life, not to mention the horrid run of injuries the last few years, youā€™d have to be a right shithouse to not be pulling for her. Nothing even against De La Rosa but I think about 98% of the MMA world was rooting against her in this one.

image.gif.2cc7367f5892c9ffcce8349fa0d6e53d.gif

Considering the massive layoff and all the setbacks, Suarez looked good here. Iā€™ve seen people on about her chances in the title race and I get the intrigue but youā€™ve got to put wins like this in perspective. De La Rosa isnā€™t that good. Sheā€™s not awful but sheā€™s not much cop. Thereā€™s a reason she was chosen as the first opponent back for Suarez. Not that I think theyā€™re ā€˜protectingā€™ her, more she needed a sensible and reasonable matchup after such a long time on the shelf. Under those circumstances, she looked about as good as you couldā€™ve expected. Controlled the pace and mostly where the fight took place, then turned it up in the second round and got the finish. You could see the relief on her face when it was over. Like a huge weight was lifted.Ā 

I really hope she can stay healthy now and get a string of fights in. This was her blowing off the cobwebs fight. Sheā€™ll only improve and build on this if she can stay busy and get a few fight camps in now. The Flyweight division really benefits from having her back as well. Not sure who sheā€™ll be paired up with next but thereā€™s a few cool fights to make. I wouldnā€™t do it next but Suarez vs Blanchfield could be very interesting down the line given both of their grappling skills.

This Mike Malott bloke looks decent. Granted he hasnā€™t faced anyone that good yet but heā€™s handled the opposition thrown at him very well so far. Knocked Mickey Gall out cold in his debut, has a fairly long layoff and now comes back and submits Lainesse in a round. Looked like he barely broke a sweat.

Trevor Peek got the first round finish in his UFC debut against Erick GonzalezĀ and somehow looked kind of terrible at the same time šŸ¤£ itā€™s weird criticising him when he got a first round knockout but he looked sloppy as shit the whole fight really. Gonzalez was ragging him about and then when they were striking Peekā€™s punches were just flailing shots that looked like how a 6 year old kid would throw punches. But a couple connected and that was that. Heā€™s got away with it so far and itā€™ll work against someone like Gonzalez but itā€™s not gonna cut it against anyone better. He wonā€™t be dull to watch, Iā€™ll say that for him. When do you ever see someone throwing hillbilly hammerfists in the standup? Fucking hell šŸ¤£Ā 

Why couldnā€™t Jordan Leavitt have done this to Laddy Paddy?

image.gif.173334ce6cc773acaf02aec05f942a85.gif

Chute Boxe style! Not much else to say about this one. It was over before it ever got going but I was happy to see Leavitt back in the win column here.

I enjoyed the Ode Osbourne vs Charles Johnson fight. Close one and they were well matched but I felt like the right man won. Just about. Neither are ever gonna be in title contention in the UFC but both have become undercard highlights on these Fight Night cards the more Iā€™ve seen of them.

Joe Solecki schooled new kid Carl Deaton. Gave him a proper grappling lesson, Deaton had sod all for him on the ground. In fairness, Deaton had stepped in on late notice so probably not a fair reflection. But he seemed more of a striker so jumping in against a grappler like Solecki probably wasnā€™t the wisest move. Hopefully Solecki gets a decent fight next. This is a guy who beat Jim Miller not so long ago, and heā€™s only lost once since (to Jared Gordon via split decision) yet it seems like heā€™s moving down the ladder if anything. I get that Deaton was a substitute but even the original opponent Benoit Saint Denis felt like a step down.

Nurullo Aliev had an interesting Octagon debut. Got the win over a tough guy in Rafael Alves, which isnā€™t a bad way to kick off a UFC career. They were going mad for him in Tajikistan as well.

Crazy scenes. Heā€™s only 23 as well. Stays unbeaten and improves to 9-0. Yet another one to keep an eye on at Lightweight. Wasnā€™t without controversy though. The whole thing with him supposedly biting Alvesā€™ finger. Cost him a point, which couldā€™ve been a big deal if he hadnā€™t dominated enough of the rest of the fight to make up for it. For what itā€™s worth, Aliev is denying there was ever a bite. Heā€™s claiming Alves was trying to fishhook and caught his finger on the teeth that way. Fuck knows? But that makes more sense to me because why would Aliev bite at that point when he was on top and in control? Whatever. Looking forward to whatā€™s ahead for him.

Not the best show, not the worst. I actually think losing the main event improved it in a weird way. Oh well, onto 285.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

I seldom skip ufc events and almost always watch every fight but despite having nothing today all day Sunday I didnā€™t bother with this event. I watch the main event on Monday and thought Allen looked pretty good but like you said not sure if that was down to him being on form, Muniz being off or a bit of both. Be interesting to see who he gets next.Ā 
Ā 

Donā€™t mind Spann/krylov being rebooked as long at itā€™s a 3 round fight on a semi decent show.Ā 
Ā 

But yeah, the next few events look much more promising!Ā 

Edited by Bruce85