Pele has died at 82

PunkStep

• Paid Members

Think it's fair to say the passing of Pele deserves its own thread. The 'GOAT' of football argument has raged like never before over the past month, and for many Pele is the greatest to have ever kicked a ball. Before 1986, it was seemingly undisputed. 

It's a borderline impossible argument anyway, and can become tiresome, but if there were a football Mount Rushmore then he would be on there. 

In the late 80s, everyone in the world knew who Maradona was. In the early 2000s everyone knew who Beckham was. Everyone in today's age know who Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are. However EVERYONE in the world from the 1960s to today knew who Pele was. He is still the biggest name in the history of the sport. The first true megastar.

This video has done the rounds a lot over the past month, and it's a reminder of the skill he possessed.

Three World Cup winner's medals (one retrospectively awarded), scored in one final as a teenager and another in his thirties. Two time Copa Libertadores and Intercontinental Cup winner. One of the very best, RIP

• Paid Members

Youngest player to score at a World Cup too.

He's one of those that it was always going to feel odd when he passed, having always been around.

Along with Maradona and Cruyff, a shoo-in for the football Mount Rushmore for sure.

RIP.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

Everybody no matter age or nationality knows/knew who he was. America went nuts when he went there, getting commercial deals and getting 78,000 people at one of his matches.

I think it's a great testament to how well known he was that a sports writer (Rick Reilly) can relay an anecdote on various news programmes (promoting his brilliant book Commander in Cheat) that Trump's golf caddies nicknamed him Pelé on account of how often he kicks the ball, in full confidence that the audience will understand the reference.

• Paid Members

Definitely the most iconic player in the history of the game. The debate about the ‘best’ will continue to rage - I genuinely believe Messi now has that accolade for his achievements in the modern game* - but Pele was the first true global megastar. 

He’s André the Giant - his stardom exceeds that of mere mortals to the point where they become something of a mythical legend. 

One of my favourite stories related to Pele doesn’t involve him and I can’t recall the specific team/player - but essentially a player is knocked groggy by a tackle in a gritty game. They battle on and even score, I think a header from a corner. The manager is barking instructions to him, but his head is scrambled and he doesn’t hear him. Another player says “He’s gone gaffer, he doesn’t know who he is”. The gaffer replies “Tell him he’s fucking Pele.” Brilliant if true. 

*It was Wes Hoolahan before Messi won the World Cup

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

It's already the Armando Jose Armando stadium, so can't see it happening

I wasn't being serious, as if Argentina are going to name a stadium after a Brazilian! Anyway if Pele were to have a stadium named after him in every country, then Maradona should have two named after him.

The Santos stadium makes perfect sense, surprised it isn't already named after him. It really wouldn't surprise me either if some of the smaller CAF or Caribbean nations rename one of their stadiums after Pele just to curry favour with that bent prick at FIFA.

On 1/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, PunkStep said:

It really wouldn't surprise me either if some of the smaller CAF or Caribbean nations rename one of their stadiums after Pele just to curry favour with that bent prick at FIFA.

You called it. Cape Verde are the first to officially rename their 15,000 national stadium after Pele.