UFC Vegas: Strickland vs Imavov - Jan 14 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, its not terrible. I think Strickland is cemented as a PPV type level fighter at this point, anyone who gets there is ok for an Apex main event really.

Imavov has landed a fight against a guy 6 places higher in the rankings too.

• wandshogun09 changed the title to UFC Vegas: Strickland vs Imavov - Jan 14 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
  • Paid Members

Updated the opening post and the poll. If it wasnā€™t for the fact weā€™ve had a few weeks off from the UFC Iā€™d have strongly considered skipping this but Iā€™ll skim through it on Sunday morning. Losing that Shavkat Rakhmonov vs Geoff Neal fight was almost a deathblow to the card for me but itā€™s still got some stuff Iā€™m interested in like Umar-Barcelos, Jimmy Flickā€™s return, Ige-Jackson is alright. Itā€™ll do. Really not feeling this new main event though. Hereā€™s how the card is looking a few days out.Ā 

BCDFFF30-C82D-4654-9BA5-DF8BE32962A6.png

F8343C72-B5D9-48C7-93C4-38269F62E993.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah Imavov looks much the bigger man.

I'm actually quite excited for this. I've followed a few of the betting breakdown channels that give you a good idea on the undercard and it's got me interested. Some potential barnburners on tap.

Probably most excited for Nurmagamedov/Barcelos. I didn't realise Barcelos was 35 but a few people are saying it's pretty crazy he's such an underdog here despite the buzz on Nurmagamedov.

Strangelty interested in that Nick Fiore fight too. Alwyas curious when a guy enters the UFC despite not having any kind of record to suggest he's of UFC level (though, UFC level isn't really a thing anymore).

Soriano/Kopylov and Al Hassan/Ribeiro are guaranteed fireworks.

• Paid Members

Iā€™m still not really feeling it, even with the break between shows. I can only imagine how down on this card Iā€™d feel if we were coming off the usual run of weekly shows. Some stuff worth a look but itā€™s really nothing to write home about.Ā 

BCE4043D-B69C-44C8-80E7-91264AE537BA.jpeg

5D9D62FD-8FAB-4926-A135-22C11CEE944B.jpeg

251FC295-1371-4602-B880-2AFF3470FE20.gif

• Paid Members

Ha, just caught up on it. Watched it in instalments.

86153432-DF51-4202-B08-F-6-F6045-C8-F132

šŸ¤®

Strickland vs Imavov wasnā€™t the best. Wasnā€™t expecting a great deal from it though. My expectations going into Strickland fights are rock bottom these days. Especially 5 rounders. But by Strickland standards, this actually wasnā€™t as bad as some of his past fights. I donā€™t know if itā€™s because weā€™ve had a break from UFC or if itā€™s because my bar for what I expect out of Strickland fights is so low that anything even half watchable is a pleasant surprise or what. It was better than the Cannonier fight, although thatā€™s not saying much. I still donā€™t think Strickland is anything special but, as I feared, Imavov isnā€™t either. The fact Strickland held up better than him in the later rounds, despite him being the one who took the fight on short notice, isnā€™t a good sign for Imavov. Not a lot else to say about this one. Strickland definitely won and it wasnā€™t quite as shite to watch as it usually is but it still wasnā€™t much good and Iā€™m not in a hurry to watch either of these two again anytime soon. Fuck Imavov for letting this prick back in the win column.

Dan Ige badly needed a win and he found it in style here. What a peach of a knockout shot.

image.gif.e2f031b14209a5d442261e854fb09a92.gif

Felt bad for Damon Jackson. After that feel-good win last time I was hoping heā€™d be able to build on the momentum of that but Ige was having none of it. My confidence was pretty shot going in when it came to Ige and I think I said I predicted heā€™d go the way of Marlon Moraes and end up making up the numbers and losing in PFL soon. That was definitely harsh though. Heā€™s been matched up really tough his last few fights and this was a much needed scaling back of opposition for him. Still donā€™t see him going too far, heā€™s just not got enough about him to trouble the top boys at Featherweight, but itā€™s nice to see him snap that losing streak all the same.

Roman Kopylov had by far the best showing of his career. Heā€™s a guy whoā€™s been on the roster a few years and his fights just come and go. Iā€™ve never particularly rated him or enjoyed watching him and, to be honest, I was hoping and half expecting Punahele Soriano to bash him up here. Kopylov wrecked him though.

image.gif.444a58797bda112ed65e49e5b543280a.gif

That body kick was horrible. Soriano is hard as nails but thereā€™s no putting a brave face on that shit. He was done the second they kick landed. The follow up punches were just for decoration. Sad to see Soriano lose again but, credit where itā€™s due, this was good stuff from Kopylov. Doubt he builds on it though. He seems like a Jake Matthews type who will have a stellar performance like this every once in a while and then look flat as fuck next time out. Although he did stop Alessio Di Chirico in his previous fight as well so maybe heā€™s onto something. Chase Hooperā€™s long lost brother from a Russian mother.

Raquel Pennington vs Ketlen Vieira was unsurprisingly a dud. Pennington is usually a fairly entertaining scrapper but I had a feeling Vieira would be able to drag her into a nothing happening 15 minute snoozer. Skimmed through it but it looked like a close one and I saw a lot of people had it scored for Vieira but Pennington got the split decision. Just further adds to the complete and utter apathy of the womenā€™s Bantamweight division. As dull as Vieiraā€™s last few fights have been, sheā€™d have at least been a fresh body to feed to Nunes. Thatā€™s out now and nobody is clamouring to see Nunes vs Pennington 2. Basically just leaves us with Nunes vs Dumont, Aldana or a third go with Pena. Party time!

This really felt like the first proper breakout moment for Umar Nurmagomedov to me. I enjoy watching Barcelos a lot but I never saw him getting much positive out of this matchup. I thought heā€™d basically get outworked though. I pictured him landing some stuff but getting outstruck on the feet, and losing any grappling exchanges. I never saw it ending like this thoughā€¦

image.gif.017da370a1306af666ce6cf6a8fe28b6.gif

Barcelos is a tough guy. In 21 fights heā€™d only been finished once and that was a submission loss way back in 2014. Heā€™d never been knocked out. This was a bad one as well. His head bounced. Hopefully heā€™s OK. It was beautiful stuff from Umar though. In real time I was focused on the knee, I guess Barcelos was as well, but that sneaky left came right behind it and switched the lights out. Exciting times ahead. I know Iā€™m like a broken record with my praise for the Bantamweight division but itā€™s such a great mix of talent. So many potentially awesome fights to be made. I donā€™t know if the rankings on UFCā€™s site are up to date but as I type this Umar is ranked #11 now. Looking at the names above him I can see him being paired with Ricky Simon next. Thatā€™s a cracking fight. Unless they wanna just bite the bullet and give him a name coming off a loss like Dominick Cruz or Song Yadong or something. He clearly needs a tougher test though.

Was happy to see Javid Basharat pick up another win. Wasnā€™t a mind blowing performance but heā€™s on the right track and stays undefeated. It was my first time seeing Mendonca so Iā€™m not sure how to properly rate this win but Mendonca was also unbeaten and trains with Charles Oliveira so thereā€™s that. I enjoyed this as wellā€¦

F0-EDA17-E-A8-D6-47-E8-B4-D8-3458902-F0-

The gun gesture thing is always cringe but anyone who saw the weigh in wouldā€™ve picked up on why Basharat did it. As you can see there šŸ˜‚ I quite like Basharat so far. Wouldnā€™t mind seeing him get on the London card if possible but that would mean going straight back into camp pretty much immediately so weā€™ll see. I liked the callout of Chris Gutierrez and Iā€™d be up for seeing that next but I canā€™t see Gutierrez going for that at the moment, coming off knocking out and retiring Frankie Edgar, it seems unlikely heā€™ll wanna face some newcomer.Ā 

Abdul Razak Alhassan vs Claudio Ribeiro did what it said on the tin. Alhassan is as pure a finisher as there is on the roster and, although Iā€™d never seen Ribeiro before, it sounded like heā€™s cut from similar cloth. Alhassan hits so hard though. It took him a bit longer this time, it made it to the start of the second round (heā€™s slacking) and thenā€¦

image.gif.1a0192ab0e6c0767b3b5178d17ec06a3.gif

Just set about him and Ribeiro was like a deer in the headlights when those bombs starting detonating. Felder touched on it post-fight but it definitely seemed like Alhassan made a point of being a little bit more patient here, fighting a bit smarter and picking his spots rather than just trying to blitz the guy out of there like he usually does. Itā€™s only gonna take him so far. Middleweight isnā€™t the strongest division but at 37/38 years old, I donā€™t see Alhassan becoming a well rounded MMA fighter now or beating particularly notable opposition. Heā€™s got the Judo base that he never uses but heā€™s so hardwired to swing those hammers that itā€™s always gonna be his default way of fighting.

Wasnā€™t keen on that Mateusz Rebecki vs Nick Fiore fight at all. Struggled to keep my interest and I ended up just skimming through it. Not a great first impression from either man. Shame really because I found Rebeckiā€™s happiness and smiley face before the fight quite endearing. I wanted to like him but then the fight started and he bored me shitless. Maybe thereā€™s better to come.

Allan Nascimento got a sweet standing rear naked choke finish against Carlos Hernandez.

image.gif.2a44b738a1e6150975d4dfa119a4a56f.gif

Nascimento is a bit of a darkhorse, I think. Not in the sense that I ever see him making a splash in the title picture but I can see him being a bit of a solid gatekeeper or litmus test for the up and comers at Flyweight. Heā€™s not a bad fighter at all and he already handed Jake Hadley a loss in his UFC debut. I could see him falling into that Trinaldo role at 125lbs where heā€™ll never be ā€œin the mixā€ but new guys will have to get through him to advance up the ladder and heā€™ll pick up some decent wins here and there.

I was a tad disappointed with how Charles Johnson vs Jimmy Flick played out but not exactly shocked either. I said in the opening post I was really looking forward to seeing Flick back after his premature retirement but this was always gonna be a tricky return matchup for him. Johnson isnā€™t a pushover and heā€™s been active during Flickā€™s sabbatical from the sport. Mokaev couldnā€™t submit Johnson so I had a feeling Flick might struggle as well. In a division like Flyweight, if youā€™re not sharp these fuckers will make you pay the price and Johnson did just that, getting the first round TKO to boot. I thought the stoppage mightā€™ve been slightly early but not massively so. I hope Flick sticks around now though. Heā€™s got work to do but this was a tough fight to come back to after 2 years away and ring rust mightā€™ve also played a part in this loss, to be fair. Charles Johnson needs to sort that hairdo out though, pronto. What the fuck is it?

Not a bad card as it turned out. Umar Nurmagomedov stole the show for me and there were a couple of nice finishes and strong performances. I really, really, really donā€™t want any more Sean Strickland main events. Weā€™ll keep getting them though, Iā€™m sure. Strickland and the Apex and 5 rounds is a fucking abysmal combination.