Bellator 280 - Bader vs. Kongo II (May 6th) 🇨🇵

Egg Shen

Will Cheick Kongo leave as Champ?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Bellator is off to France next Friday.

20220501_223000.jpg.4c2987231daf7cf710669bb4bd8456a8.jpg

Main Card:

Ryan Bader vs. Cheick Kongo

Yoel Romero vs. Alex Polizzi

Davey Gallon vs. Benjamin Brander

Lorenz Larken vs. Kyle Stewart

Mike Shipman vs. Gregory Babene

Prelims:

Lewis Long vs. Thibault Gouti

Fabacary Diatta vs. Jordan Barton

Soren Bak vs. Charlie Leary

Lucie Bertaud vs. Katarzyna Sadura

Yves Landu vs. Gavin Hughes

Pedro Carvalho vs. Piotr Niedzielski

Youcef Ouabass vs. Matthieu Duclos

Victor Verchere vs. Bourama Camara

Ive skipped a few shows but having this in a nice Friday evening UK time slot makes it all the more appealing.

I nicked that fight card from Big Marcell's Twitter im fairly sure theres been some changes to the card.

Cheick Kongo will be a week shy of his 47th birthday going into this, pretty incredible. The first fight ended early due to an eye poke so they run it back. I woud love to see Kongo win this purely for his longevity in the game. He's bored us to tears over the years at times but what a career!

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Meant to mention that Marcel’s started listing the upcoming Bellator events the same way he does the UFC ones. Handy that. I struggle to keep up with what’s coming up in Bellator these days. His little pinned tweet of upcoming UFCs is a godsend for me when doing the opening posts as well.

Fair play to Kongo for still going strong while pushing 50! I’ve got almost zero interest in him or Bader though.

This card is all about the co-main for me. But it’s gonna be painful either way as a massive fan of both. I just hope it’s a fun one and that nobody gets too badly fucked up. Barmy fight though. One that genuinely never even crossed my mind until it was announced. Got to think Yoel crushes him at this point but he does stand way more than a wrestler of his quality usually would, or probably should, you just never know. But I’d be surprised if Yoel doesn’t get the W. I can’t pick a side though.

Lorenz Larkin is a fighter I’ll always tune in for as well actually. Not bad. 

• Paid Members

At least they Manheof will still be alive next Saturday, plus Romero/Polizzi is a much better fight.

If you ain't acquainted with Polizzi... he's the guy who came back from this to win his last fight:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

it was a weird fight to make, but you are right about the old school Bellator vibes.

20220506_064428.thumb.jpg.e8caa60e7ddf6dfabb61bf4c3f978962.jpg

I dont think ever gonna be a danger of Yoel looking remotely out of shape is there, not matter how old he gets?

Bash me if you will for saying this, but I think the Yoel Romero hype train is exactly that. Hype. 

People buy into his imposing physique, his persona and so on, but in reality? He's a bog-standard fighter. What has he done really? Beat Luke Rockhold in in 2018? KO'd Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida six years ago?

He comes in, jumps around, does nothing of note, and loses. His output is criminal in most of his fights. The dude threatens to look active at most, but delivers fuck all. He's 1-5 in the last five years for a reason.

The most exciting thing he's done is that call-out of Bisping way back when.

Glancing at his wiki reveals that between 2014-2016, he won 6 fights in a row:

- made mincemeat out of Derek Brunsons liver when stopping him

- flattened Tim Kennedy and Lyoto and left them unconscious

- beat Jacare (who was on an 8 fight winning streak)

- split Weidmans skull almost in half with a knee

Then he lost twice to Whitaker, Izzy, Costa and Phil Davis. ALL decisions, and all when he was over 40 years of age. You have quite the definition of a 'bog standard fighter'.

Edited by Dai

• Paid Members

Yeah, that utter nonsense. You dont stick around the top level of the UFC for 10 years if you are a "hype job". You can 100% complain that sometimes Romero's output in fights is not good and there's an argument to be made that was probably capable of even more, but the actual skillset he has and how he's utilised it is about as dangerous as there's ever been in the sport. Even in his defeats, he's run top end fighters incredibly close.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Glancing at his wiki reveals that between 2014-2016, he won 6 fights in a row:

- made mincemeat out of Derek Brunsons liver when stopping him

- flattened Tim Kennedy and Lyoto and left them unconscious

- beat Jacare (who was on an 8 fight winning streak)

- split Weidmans skull almost in half with a knee

Then he lost twice to Whitaker, Izzy, Costa and Phil Davis. ALL decisions, and all when he was over 40 years of age. You have quite the definition of a 'bog standard fighter'.

Oh, he may have been very good over five years ago, but he isn't now. And hasn't been for quite some time. 

25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah, that utter nonsense. You dont stick around the top level of the UFC for 10 years if you are a "hype job". You can 100% complain that sometimes Romero's output in fights is not good and there's an argument to be made that was probably capable of even more, but the actual skillset he has and how he's utilised it is about as dangerous as there's ever been in the sport. Even in his defeats, he's run top end fighters incredibly close.

Nah, I don't agree. In his fights over the past three-five years I've never really saw him as a real threat. He's always looked on the verge of doing something, then not done it. I think the UFC kept him around because he's entertaining, for sure. But he's not the killer he's made out to be. In my opinion, anyway.

This is a very bizarre series of posts. Youre arguing about a 'hype train' for the 2022, 45 years old, Yoel Romero, and calling him bog standard. Not sure what youre reading to gain such an impression, but the one here is clearly not of that ilk. Id say everyone here knows hes past his best, and is just enjoying what is surely the last few fights of a legend. Saying 45 year old Yoel Romero isnt as good as he was 5 years ago surely isnt shock news. He was booked against Manhoef for this show, so any talk of how good he is now is pretty much irrelevant.

Edited by Dai

Just an observation, having watched him since his UFC days. He's honestly always struck me as someone who flatters to deceive. I can think of more Romero fights I've watched where I come away thinking "well, that was weird and shit. He didn't do anything" than I do "wow, the guys a killer. What a performance."

I think how he looks physically and how he acts has helped to create an aura bout him that really isn't there.