Shinjiro Otani seriously injured during a match

Merzbow

13 hours ago, garynysmon said:

These moves often aren't as impressive looking to your average punter as they may be for a wrestler. I reckon there are often substitute moves that would be much safer to do without distracting much, if anything, from the match.

This is the key point, I think. The attitude that all these fake fighters are actually legit tough guys who get deliberately hurt for YOUR entertainment is toxic, gaslighting bullshit being perpetuated by cycles of shitty workers chasing pops. If it looks dangerous because it IS dangerous, then that's not working; that's putting your and your opponent's careers and lives on the line and hoping for the best. If you agree to take that bump, you best agree with the promoter that you're getting a retirement payoff, and that promoter had better confirm that bump is worth his investment. I said it in a previous thread, but your average punter doesn't know what a tope suicida or a buckle bomb feels like, but they know what a kick in the nuts does. It might give my identity away, but I had a heated debate this weekend with some trainees over a back drop, with them insisting a move where you're driven into the mat back-first from six+ feet in the air wasn't "big" enough. I've not seen the Otani match, so I might be wrong and it might be a marvel of storytelling leading to a match-ending high-risk buckle bump, but sadly it would stun me if it was.

Get well soon, Shinjiro.