UFC Vegas: Santos vs Ankalaev - Mar 12 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Rountree might the most violent fighter in the UFC, when he lets them fly it's just frightening.ย 

The main event was a plodder but i thought Ankalaev looked decent. Its a rough one because you have to fight cautiously against Santos, or you get dead. Ankalaev's post fight interview with the translator might down as the most boring in history too.

Always felt McKinney would fall to bits if his early blitz didnt pay off, but it very nearly did! i think this was a bit of a poor move on his part overall, if he'd have he'd have looked a genius but you shouldnt be fighting Drew Dober on 2 weeks notice.

The downfall of Moraes is sad to see, its very Barao-esque.

If Pereira/Adesanya fought tomorrow, i think id might pick Pereira. The guy is massive, his striking is tight as hell and I reckon he could be all wrong for Izzy. Problem is, i never see Pereira getting there. He's gonna hit a poor stylistic matchup along the way and get taken out.

ย 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

If Pereira/Adesanya fought tomorrow, i think id might pick Pereira. The guy is massive, his striking is tight as hell and I reckon he could be all wrong for Izzy. Problem is, i never see Pereira getting there. He's gonna hit a poor stylistic matchup along the way and get taken out.

ย 

Whilst I think you're right about him probably not getting to the Adesanya position, the UFC have lost their rocker if they put him in a poor style match up. They should be thinking "we have something here, what's the quickest, safest way to try and get him to a title fight?".ย 

Two more wins (if he can do it) and they should be looking to book it. Brad Tavares, Darren Till. Possibly Kelvin Gastelum. Avoids the worst style match ups for him, away from the strongest grapplers, and the current highest level fighters in the division, but still ranked guys that have operated at the top of the division. If Pereira can't beat them, then him working up to Adesanya is a pipe dream anyway.ย 

ย 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Two more wins (if he can do it) and they should be looking to book it. Brad Tavares, Darren Till. Possibly Kelvin Gastelum.

Throw Paulo Costa in there as well. That would be a fun one. Until Costa weighs in at Heavyweight and the fight gets binned anyway. Thereโ€™s Uriah Hall whoโ€™s unlikely to be going for takedowns. Could always throw him at Strickland as well. Predominately a striker but canโ€™t seem to break an egg. Iโ€™m still not convinced Pereiraโ€™s ready for the top 10 yet, heโ€™s 6 fights into his MMA career, but there are fights to make near the top end of 185 that youโ€™d think would be favourable for Pereira.

Canโ€™t be arsed to check the rankings but all the names weโ€™ve both mentioned (bar Tavares) are probably either in the Top 10 or hovering just outside it, so if theyโ€™re looking to fast track him, there is a path. As long as he doesnโ€™t run into Brunson, Vettori or Hermansson, heโ€™s got a decent shot of making it to at least a shot at the title. And Brunsonโ€™s talking retirement anyway so thatโ€™s one down soon. Iโ€™m guessing itโ€™s Adesanya vs Cannonier next so itโ€™ll be interesting to see how they match Pereira up next. Personally, Iโ€™d do the Costa fight. Sod it.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The middleweight rankings are a bit ridiculous. Chris Weidman is still ranked for God sake. Yeah absolutely Paulo Costa would be a barn burner. If Pereira loses then you still rehab some of these other guys a little. The worst thing they could do is match him up with a strong grappler that wouldn't get him any closer to the Adesanya fight should he even win, as well as extra damaging should he lose.ย 

Pereira has got a ways to go in his development for MMA, like you say, but time is not on his or the UFC's side. They don't have six fights to muck about and give him more experience, not at his age. It'll go tits up before then. Leap frog him, if he loses then he has a solid out. Should he actually get the Adesanya fight at some point, it has every chance of being competitive. Pereira is not going to look out of place, with the back story that they have. Adesanya is not going to initiate the grappling, so there would be a tonne of intrigue around it.ย 

Watch Cannonier go out and harness the power of his gemstones now and hit Israel with a salt crystal that he shoots out of his arsehole, clocking Adesanya right in the centre of his eyes, 1-2-3 new champion. Jared poses, shakes the ropes and goes back to the locker room on a little motorised ring, while Dana spontaneously combusts. Adesanya's body then levitates into the air, while people question if it could be Marty Jannetty. I may or may not have been blending a couple of things together there. With Cannonier? It seems slightlyย plausible.ย