Belllator 256: A Fecking Pair Of Women's Knickers (9th April 2021)

jimufctna24

Thanks Ebb. I will be watching on iPlayer tomorrow morning. What's the passing of Prince Philip got to do with them not airing a show live on iPlayer? If it was on BBC one I could understand that they'd want to air the news/tributes instead, but I don't see the link with iPlayer.

I'm not really familiar with the two featherweights opening the main card but they've both got a pretty decent record.

Diana Asaragova is quite the looker, if she gets a win I'd say Bellator start to put some hype behind her much like they do with Valerie Loureda.

I don't see anything past a Bader win in the main event, I think he gets a TKO stoppage in the later rounds. I'm right in saying all the tournament fights are 5 rounders aren't I?

The show hasn't been uploaded to iPlayer yet so thanks Egg Shen for linking us to the direct link on youtube, it saved me encountering potential spoilers.

Not a bad show, it was quite decision heavy but all the fights were relatively enjoyable.....saying that I have to admit to skipping the Liz Carmouche fight.

Bader and Machida was not exactly fireworks but it was a pretty good technical display. I fancy Bader's chances in this tournament now, I think the weight cut for the Nemkov fight really hurt him and I feel a solid year at LHW will be very beneficial to him. I fancy him to make it to the finals (though I might change my mind if Anderson gets steam rolled by the unknown Yagshimuradov).

The Cat Zingano fight just looked like a training practice, she got the fight to the ground and that submission pretty easily. It was barely a fight.

Machida's striking was giving Bader all sorts of issues during the opening few rounds, partially because Bader was having issues with Machida's speed. It was only when Bader got his wrestling game going, and sapped Machida of his stamina, that the fight swung in his direction. 

Thus, I think Nemkov is an absolute nightmare match-up for Bader at 205lbs. Not only does he have the speed, skills and power to trouble Bader in the striking department, he also has the grappling game to shut down Bader's wrestling. Bader's only chance would be if Nemkov faded in the later rounds. 

Borics would be a fun fight for the winner of McKee vs Pitbull. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

For a round and a half Machida rolled back the clock, he looked great! He was never the same after that first takedown though, after that Bader bossed it. Harsh ground and pound too, Machida got beaten up.

Not a lot else to report. The other talking point is just how Dan Moret won a split decision over Yamauchi. Just an absolute shocker of a decision.

Also, this happened on the prelims. You dont see many KO's in Womens MMA like this:

I like Yamauchi so I was obviously gutted he lost. 

Bellator's LW division is wank in its current state though. Hopefully the likes of Usman, Nikaev, Bak, Shabliy, Vlad Tokov, etc change that over the next 18 months. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

In general i think Bellator's rankings need to be taken with a pinch of salt at the moment. I think it'll take a couple of years for the divisions to truly sort themselves out.

Lightweight is arguably Bellator's weakest division though. Doesnt help that the belt is being held up by Pitbull either.

20210411_084853.jpg.fe71c2d04ecda7afd545bd14b908f727.jpg

Most interesting/exciting name there is Aviv Gozali at #9.

8 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

In general i think Bellator's rankings need to be taken with a pinch of salt at the moment. I think it'll take a couple of years for the divisions to truly sort themselves out.

Lightweight is arguably Bellator's weakest division though. Doesnt help that the belt is being held up by Pitbull either.

Aye, that's my impression too. 

If this article from Danny Martin is anything to go by Shabliy is probably the best LW in Bellator - https://www.thefight-site.com/home/lessons-to-learn-alexandr-peresvet-shabliy

Can't wait for him to debut. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

So, from what I understand, Shabliy is debuting against Primus, who, according to those rankings, is No.1 contender? If Shabliy does stove Primus in, that seems a hell of a bump.

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

So, from what I understand, Shabliy is debuting against Primus, who, according to those rankings, is No.1 contender? If Shabliy does stove Primus in, that seems a hell of a bump.

Ahhh, so he is. I must have forgotten that fight had been announced. Perfect opportunity for Shabliy to make a big impression. 

• Paid Members

Yeh i think we'll see quite alot of that style of matchmaking this year until these things sort themselves out. Like, really an unranked fighter shouldnt be fighting the no.1 in the weight class, but we'll just have to give them a pass.

Similar on this weekends. Dan Moret beat #3 Yamauchi, will Moret find himself ranked at #3 now? 😄