NOAH live on FITE TV this Sun w/ Shiozaki v Nakajima

Pickers

Had a look at the GHC Tag & Heavyweight matches last night. Both pretty enjoyable as it goes. Always happy to see SAKU. Funaki looking good too. Average age of the participants in that match is 48 (brought down by Marufuji, at a tender 41).

The main was heading towards a 5-star match, but whilst I have no issues with guys chopping the shit out of each other (particularly in Japan), it perhaps became a bit one dimensional for my taste. An easy watch anyway. Couldn't tell if Shiozaki was 'out' at one point. It looked like it. Oddly enough, the last match I saw of his in All Japan was a 2/3 falls, which should really have been awarded to his opponent, as he was evidently unconcious at one stage. They somehow bumblefucked throught that, but it put me off watching their product & him in particular. This was more like an old school NOAH match. I hardly recognised Nakajima, with his new look. Bored of saying it, but NJPW should've picked him up years ago, unless there's an issue I'm unaware of.

-Whilst it's clear enough in the opening post that the event was held at Yokohama Budokan, it should perhaps be noted that this is a new facility (also used by STARDOM) & not THE Budokan, which obv's is located in Tokyo-

Edited by KingofSports

On 11/24/2020 at 4:06 AM, KingofSports said:

Had a look at the GHC Tag & Heavyweight matches last night. Both pretty enjoyable as it goes. Always happy to see SAKU. Funaki looking good too. Average age of the participants in that match is 48 (brought down by Marufuji, at a tender 41).

The main was heading towards a 5-star match, but whilst I have no issues with guys chopping the shit out of each other (particularly in Japan), it perhaps became a bit one dimensional for my taste. An easy watch anyway. Couldn't tell if Shiozaki was 'out' at one point. It looked like it. Oddly enough, the last match I saw of his in All Japan was a 2/3 falls, which should really have been awarded to his opponent, as he was evidently unconcious at one stage. They somehow bumblefucked throught that, but it put me off watching their product & him in particular. This was more like an old school NOAH match. I hardly recognised Nakajima, with his new look. Bored of saying it, but NJPW should've picked him up years ago, unless there's an issue I'm unaware of.

-Whilst it's clear enough in the opening post that the event was held at Yokohama Budokan, it should perhaps be noted that this is a new facility (also used by STARDOM) & not THE Budokan, which obv's is located in Tokyo-

Good summary. They're jumping straight into another big event next week with Shiozaki defending against Sugiura in Yoyogi on 12/6. It will be live on FITE TV. 

If your take on the main was similar to mine, shouldn't Shiozaki have simply been counted out? I know it wouldn't have suited the narrative and it's a very rare situation, though twice for him bizarrely enough. It just kinda took a dump on anything resembling rules. I still enjoyed the match, but that's pretty dificult to overlook.

Go / Sugiura should be a decent match. Both still looking in good nick. Maybe they should have somebody on standby for a run-in, just in case Shiozaki lapses into unconciousness again.

How did you get the commentary job @Pickers? By all accounts I've heard you did a good job on it and I can only hope you and your colleague get better with every show.

It's crazy that we've gone from finally being able to see NOAH shows live as they happen through streaming - catching up with their rival Japanese competitors - to seeing live shows with English commentary.

Hopefully they also get put on Wrestle Universe in time.

I nearly mentioned the announce team. After 20 years of listening to it, I've become totally accustomed to Japanese commentary, which generates the excitement, yet doesn't patronise or piss me off. I really struggle with English/American and can happily watch a match with no commentary at all. This was well done though. Informative, without being too intrusive & treating the matches more as a legit' sporting contests than 'pro wrestling'. Not sure if the Scots guy is the same one who covered Pancrase a few years ago. Top marks anyway to both gentlemen.

16 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

I nearly mentioned the announce team. After 20 years of listening to it, I've become totally accustomed to Japanese commentary, which generates the excitement, yet doesn't patronise or piss me off. I really struggle with English/American and can happily watch a match with no commentary at all. This was well done though. Informative, without being too intrusive & treating the matches more as a legit' sporting contests than 'pro wrestling'. Not sure if the Scots guy is the same one who covered Pancrase a few years ago. Top marks anyway to both gentlemen.

Thank you very much. Yes, it's Stewart Fulton, who usually does Pancrase, and myself. 

Here is the card for 12/6. It marks NOAH's first visit to this venue in 16 years. Show will be available to pre-order soon on FITE TV. 

NOAH "NOAH THE BEST 2020 ~FINAL CHRONICLE 2020~", 06.12.2020
Yoyogi National Stadium Gymnasium #2

1. Kinya Okada vs. Yasutaka Yano
2. Daisuke Harada, Atsushi Kotoge & Junta Miyawaki vs. Tadasuke, Haoh & Nioh
3. Hajime Ohara, YO-HEY & Seiki Yoshioka vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima, Masa Kitamiya & Manabu Soya
4. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Yoshinari Ogawa & HAYATA (c) vs. Kotaro Suzuki & Salvaje de Oriente
5. GHC National Title: Kenoh (c) vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
6. Naomichi Marufuji, Keiji Muto, Masakatsu Funaki & Yuko Miyamoto vs. Kaito Kiyomiya, Shuhei Taniguchi, Daiki Inaba & Yoshiki Inamura
7. GHC Heavyweight Title: Go Shiozaki (c) vs. Takashi Sugiura

I don't think the National Title existed in the days when I watched NOAH on a more regular basis. Was it designed for Japanese competitors only, with GHC Heavyweight open to all comers?..or just an additional belt to compete for? Kenoh v Saku sounds interesting. I enjoyed early Taniguchi as a wrestler, but not so much as Maybach. Glad to see that's gone now.

10 hours ago, KingofSports said:

I don't think the National Title existed in the days when I watched NOAH on a more regular basis. Was it designed for Japanese competitors only, with GHC Heavyweight open to all comers?..or just an additional belt to compete for? Kenoh v Saku sounds interesting. I enjoyed early Taniguchi as a wrestler, but not so much as Maybach. Glad to see that's gone now.

It was created late last year. I think it suits Kenoh. He's the third person to hold the title. Effectively a championship for those currently outside of the main event picture to fight over. 

The 12/6 show can be ordered at https://www.fite.tv/watch/noah-the-best-final-chroncile-2020/2p8ho/

• Paid Members

How does FITE work, do you need to watch live or do the shows go into an "on demand" type pot after first showing? 

I used to love NOAH, never followed it like some on here but loved picking up shows and comps, and I am tempted to dip in and see what's going on but not enough to get up at sparrows fart on my day off.