Khamzat Chimaev 🚂

Egg Shen

4 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Yeah most probably, it'd be interesting to see if/how he can control Maia on the ground or up against the cage though.

Yeah, same here. I'd love to see how Chimaev fares on the ground with Maia, but I can see him rushing him and eventually stopping him on the feet. Maia has definitely lost a step, and he's more prone to being stunned and knocked down now than he has been in recent years.

4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Not saying it’s the most logical matchmaking, just that I’d be up for watching Wonderboy vs Chimaev if it was booked. You couldn’t get much more opposing styles and I always like that. It’s probably the Maia fight next anyway.

Hey, if it was booked I'd watch it for sure. I just don't see why Wonderboy would take that fight. It has absolutely zero upside for him. At this point anyway.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

I just don't see why Wonderboy would take that fight. It has absolutely zero upside for him. At this point anyway.

Really? from a ranking standpoint he's not gonna gain anything but Chimaev is probably the biggest fight in the division already outside of guys in the top 5.

The only fight Wonderboy could feasibly get with someone ranked above him is a fight with Leon Edwards, if that doesn't happen he's probably better off taking the Chimaev fight. Wonderboy is falling into that Rich Franklin attraction fight slot anyway at his age and given his popularity, the Chimaev fight makes perfect sense.

How many unranked fighters get UFC main event slots within 4 fights of being in the promotion? Wonderboy could slot in nicely there on the marquee in a main event. Anyone he fights ranked between 6-15 is a co-main event status at best. Chimaev is already abit of an exception to the rule.

Edited by Egg Shen

22 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Really? from a ranking standpoint he's not gonna gain anything but Chimaev is probably the biggest fight in the division already outside of guys in the top 5.

The only fight Wonderboy could feasibly get with someone ranked above him is a fight with Leon Edwards, if that doesn't happen he's probably better off taking the Chimaev fight. Wonderboy is falling into that Rich Franklin attraction fight slot anyway at his age and given his popularity, the Chimaev fight makes perfect sense.

How many unranked fighters get UFC main event slots within 4 fights of being in the promotion? Wonderboy could slot in nicely there on the marquee in a main event. Anyone he fights ranked between 6-15 is a co-main event status at best. Chimaev is already abit of an exception to the rule.

That's why he's pushing for the Edwards fight I'd imagine.

But let's say Wonderboy fights Chimaev, and outpoints him relatively easy for arguments sake. Do you think people will be saying "Wow! Wonderboy just beat the great Chimaev! Surely he's closer to a title shot now!"

Of course not. They say the same thing that they said when Corey Anderson spanked Johnny Walker. 

They'll say Chimaev either wasn't as good as everyone thought, and will claim he just crushed bums before Wonderboy beat him, or they'll say it was too soon for him.

Either that or Chimaev wins and Wonderboy is sent spiralling into the bottom reaches of the top ten. 

It's a no-win for him. He'd be well advised to avoid that fight.

• Paid Members

@David one of your picks has piped up. 

I’m not a big fan of watching Magny fight but I’d be interested in this. You don’t just blow through Magny so if Chimaev did to him what he’s been doing to everyone else, then we can actually start talking about him being a contender. If not, then maybe we get to see what Chimaev’s got beyond the first round. Because if anyone can spoil and grind it out and drag Chimaev into an ugly gruelling type of fight, it’s a guy like Magny. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

But let's say Wonderboy fights Chimaev, and outpoints him relatively easy for arguments sake. Do you think people will be saying "Wow! Wonderboy just beat the great Chimaev! Surely he's closer to a title shot now!"

Of course not. They say the same thing that they said when Corey Anderson spanked Johnny Walker. 

They'll say Chimaev either wasn't as good as everyone thought, and will claim he just crushed bums before Wonderboy beat him, or they'll say it was too soon for him.

i dont agree with that.

Walker was always a wild card, he had several losses before he bad even entered the UFC, he was simply a wild man that could give anyone fits on their night. Chimaev is coming in with a different kind of hype and exposure. If Wonderboy fought him and beat him now it definitely puts him in a much better position than he is in now. A Wonderboy/Chimaev fight would have more eyeballs on it than any other fight he could take. 

Edited by Egg Shen

I think Neil Magny vs Khamzat is definitely the fight to make. If Magny wins he can say he derailed the hype train and try and move up the card and start claiming the UFC need to give him higher ranked opponents, if he loses he's still boring old Neil Magny who remains a constant feature in the top 10.

If Khamzat wins he beats a veteran who is not on the slide at all and really cements himself as a top 10 guy. 

On 9/26/2020 at 10:41 PM, Egg Shen said:

I like the fight but Magny's a banana peel thats probably worth avoiding. If he could beat Magny it would be a decent scalp but no one ever really looks good against Neil Magny, the guys a nightmare.

Are you not confident he beats Neil Magny?

If he can't beat Neil Magny then he isn't ready to face a top five fighter.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Are you not confident he beats Neil Magny?

If he can't beat Neil Magny then he isn't ready to face a top five fighter.

im more confident he'd beat Stephen Thompson and Thompson is ranked 5 places above Magny. If you can get to the top 5 and avoid Magny along the way thats a route anyone would take. No one in the current top 5 has fought Neil Magny.

Magny is the worst type of opponent to face, hes another Jon Fitch or Jake Shields. To get through him is a massive achievement but he's a guy everyone wants to avoid if they can help it. Whats the upside to beating Magny? hes unglamourous, his fights dont tend to be exciting and he has no fans. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Whats the upside to beating Magny? hes unglamourous, his fights dont tend to be exciting and he has no fans. 

In much the same way as there's no real upside for Thompson to take the Chimaev fight. He wants Leon Edwards, and that makes total sense.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

In much the same way as there's no real upside for Thompson to take the Chimaev fight. He wants Leon Edwards, and that makes total sense.

not taking it into account that Chimaev is the hottest prospect and most talked about new fighter in the sport? any fighter would want to steal that thunder.

• Paid Members

i dont disagree with that, but if that fight can be avoided and he leap frogs it into a fight with Wonderboy, thats the fight to take, and like said, if Wonderboy cant secure a Leon Edwards fights the Chimaev fight is the best fight he can take.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

not taking it into account that Chimaev is the hottest prospect and most talked about new fighter in the sport? any fighter would want to steal that thunder.

But he wouldn't be "stealing the thunder," would he? Same as Corey Anderson didn't steal the thunder from johnny Walker. All that happens if Thompson outpoints Chimaev is that everyone shrugs their shoulders and says "ah well, he obviously wasn't that good anyway" or that it was a step too far, too soon.

No one will say "Man! Wonderboy is the shit! You see how he beat that guy who's beaten no one?!? Wow!"