UFC Raleigh: Blaydes vs Dos Santos - Jan 25 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

It wasn’t bad or anything but at times it felt like they were both just trying to be the loudest voice in the room and ‘outfunny’ each other.

That was partially the problem with Strikeforce's 3-man booth back in the day. 2-man teams usually work better (IMO)

A rumour cropped up last week that Miocic was set to announce his retirement. It was said that his eye injuries were not healing as expected. While the rumour was probably bollocks, as Miocic has now been medically cleared to fight, it does sound like he's taking his time to make sure his eye heals properly, which is the sensible thing to do. 

Waiting for him are Cormier, Ngannou and Blaydes. I would be down for Miocic fighting any of those three. Nonetheless, I suspect DC will get the next crack, leaving Ngannou and Blaydes to stay busy with other opponents. 

• Paid Members

Yeah Stipe finally got cleared. He's said he'll fight whoever the UFC decides is next, he doesn't care, but I could understand if he preferred that it wouldn't be Cormier, considering the amount of eye pokes he's taken from him alone. I'm sure that's the fight the UFC will book though, but it'll probably be on Stipe's timescale as he said in the piece I was reading that he hasn't trained at all in five months. Could be July or August again really. 

Ngannou could have been next but the fight against Rosenstruick will mean that'll have to be played out first. Blaydes has put himself up there, but those two stoppage losses should really leave him third in line. He'll have to fight again. Volkov maybe. I'd like to see him school Greg Hardy too, although that fight does nothing for him other than a stay busy pay day. He could have done with calling out Jon Jones for the summer, and tried to encourage him up to HW. Of course Jones wouldn't be interested in that fight, but Blaydes could use the publicity the callout would have given him. 

• Paid Members

It’s hard to even imagine who Ngannou and Blaydes could fight in that scenario. They’ve already fought each other twice. They’ve both beat Dos Santos and Overeem. Cain’s gone. Suppose Blaydes could fight Derrick Lewis if Lewis gets by Latifi. I know Fabricio Werdum’s suspension is up soon, think he’s good to go from April. So maybe he gets matched with one of them? 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

It’s hard to even imagine who Ngannou and Blaydes could fight in that scenario. They’ve already fought each other twice. They’ve both beat Dos Santos and Overeem. Cain’s gone. Suppose Blaydes could fight Derrick Lewis if Lewis gets by Latifi. I know Fabricio Werdum’s suspension is up soon, think he’s good to go from April. So maybe he gets matched with one of them? 

Ben Rothwell? It would be a complete filler match though.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

best Blaydes can hope for is Rozenstruick to beat Ngannou, that leads the way for a full on no. 1 contender fight whilst DC/Stipe sort out their shit.

Even then though, there’s always the chance they go with Rozenstruik getting the shot instead of Blaydes. At that point Rozenstruik would be undefeated with wins over Ngannou and Overeem. He’d have as strong a claim as Blaydes really. Plus, right or wrong, you know the UFC will always favour going with a knockout artist over a wrestler. Even though Blaydes has proven to be a finisher himself. It’s all up in the air. It’s not a terrible problem to have though. Stipe could wind up facing any of Cormier, Blaydes, Ngannou or Rozenstruik next. And I’d be interested to some degree in seeing any of them. 

• Paid Members

Think they need to try and get Ivanov another match soon, too. HWs with good records are pretty thin on the ground at the mo, and Ivanov has shown he can at least be a gatekeeper, if not a contender.