All Things Horror

Brewster McCloud

Yes, I know there's a perfectly good film thread, but I reckon horror deserves its own. It's by far my favourite genre and I'm of the opinion that a rubbishy horror film is still a better film than a rubbishy anything else. I read Kim Newman's website regularly to get the latest tips, as he's seen so many he's able to sort the treasures from the trash pile, or at least point out why a crappy horror film might have a few elements worth checking out. It's very rare he'll say something is complete shit, and I appreciate his nuanced reviews. 

That being said, it's been a while since I saw a really good one at the cinema. The teen-friendly jump scare assembly line seems to be dominating. Those films can be enjoyable in and of themselves, but I much prefer a creeping sense of dread/wrongness that makes gives me that uncanny shiver. As Indonesian cinema has recently made a bit of a mark, I'lll link to Rumah Dara (House of Blood) as it's a great example of how to be inspired by The Texas Chainsaw Massacre:

I'd also like any recommendations for good horror books. I mostly read non-fiction these days, but I'd like to get stuck into something decent, however trashy.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

That being said, it's been a while since I saw a really good one at the cinema.

Halloween, Hereditary, Overlord, A Quiet Place and Slaughterhouse Rulez all came out at the cinema this year.

• Paid Members

I found this terrifying 

image.thumb.png.30ac220759275a7d558520db0c86e69d.png

On a more serious note, I ended up watching Sinister based on recommendations from the films thread and fucking hell, that's more than I can handle. I've always been useless at watching horror films, but thought I would give it another bash. I regret my decision based on the lawnmower scene alone. 

20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Halloween, Hereditary, Overlord, A Quiet Place and Slaughterhouse Rulez all came out at the cinema this year.

I didn't see Halloween or Slaughterhouse Rulez, but I liked the others you mentioned. Overlord was great until the final third when it just turned into another superhero movie with the magic potion and whatnot. A Quiet Place was interesting: couldn't really support its gimmick, though, I felt. Why on earth would you get pregnant in that scenario? Apart from Overlord, these seem like quite a while ago to me! Well, not a "while" obviously, but what's next on the agenda at the cinema? I saw a poster for Happy Death Day 2 last time I was at the cinema, which I can't even really fathom. Same scenario, different girl? I thought HDD was amusing, the "reveal" sucked.

16 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I found this terrifying 

image.thumb.png.30ac220759275a7d558520db0c86e69d.png

On a more serious note, I ended up watching Sinister based on recommendations from the films thread and fucking hell, that's more than I can handle. I've always been useless at watching horror films, but thought I would give it another bash. I regret my decision based on the lawnmower scene alone. 

I dug Sinister. It's always weird seeing Ethan Hawke in things like this, but I thought the use of old video was effectively creepy. It's the best thing about it by far - watching those snuff films - when it gets to the demon stuff, meh. 

25 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Danny McBride wrote the new Halloween didn't he? Is there much humour in the new one if anyone's seen it?

He did indeed. Sorry that I haven't seen it, but from what I heard there is a lot of humour in it. That's mostly why I didn't watch it, because while I have nothing against comedy horror, I don't think Halloween warrants it. Why not just treat it seriously or do a full-on parody instead? Or, weird idea, I know, try to create a new horror franchise instead of this endless necrophilia? Because people lap this shit up. Yes. 

Before I make Gus a happy man and bugger off, I'll grant you  The Witch Who Came From The Sea:

It ended up on the Video Nasties list, oddly, but it's pretty good for an exploitation film of that era. NSFW.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Danny McBride wrote the new Halloween didn't he? Is there much humour in the new one if anyone's seen it?

It's a pretty straight horror film. The only scene that really has any humour (apart from a few one liners) is a scene with two policemen and it feels very 'Danny McBride' and doesn't fit with the film at all

Archived