Hello all - first topic

AnnouncerSte

• Paid Members

But 2000 really was his year, though. He was pretty awesome during that period.

As to the "unintentional" gay jokes, the best stuff was when Kurt Angle was feuding with Rey Mysterio and saying stuff like "I'm a man who loves to handle boys like you - no, wait!"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JR's had so many memorable quotes, you could fill a sizeable book with them. What a body of work he has left in wrestling. Truly the soundtrack to my childhood, that man. Listed a few of the lesser talked-about ones that stuck in my memory, as they gave me goosebumps at the time, although the text doesn't really do the words justice. It's all in the passion and the fire or emotion of the deliveries. . .

All I can say about Owen Hart is that I hope I can be as good a man as him so that I can see him again some day." - Raw, May 24, 1999

"I was there in the hospital when he came out of surgery. I thought I knew that man! I thought I knew Steve Austin! Son of a bitch!" - Wrestlemania X-Seven, post-Austin heel turn

"The big legdrop! He beat ANDRE THE GIANT with that move!" - during Rock vs Hogan, 'Mania X8

"A knockout shot! A knockout shot!" CLIMB THE LADDER KID! MAKE YOURSELF FAMOUS!" - during 'Taker vs Jeff Hardy in that ladder match on RAW in 2002. For a split second I believed Jeff Hardy was about to win the Undisputed title and was cheering like a kid.

"I pray that this is not a mistake that Shawn Michaels will regret, that HIS FAMILY will regret... for the rest of his natural life." - SummerSlam 2002, during HBK's entrance

"He's gonna rot in Hell for what he did here tonight." - At the conclusion of the same match, SummerSlam 2002

“DOES HE HAVE NO CONSCIENCE, DOES HE HAVE NO HEART, DO YOU HAVE NO SOUL,  YOU SON OF A BITCH? DO YOU REALISE WHAT YOU’VE JUST DONE?!” - My Christ, he was on fire at SummerSlam 2002

"Shawn Michaels is the World champion! Do you believe in miracles?!" - Survivor Series '02 as HBK holds up 'big gold' in the Elimination Chamber

"Will Triple H tap out... will he tap? The title's on the line! THE TITLE'S ON THE LINE!" - as Benoit has HHH in the match-ending Crippler Crossface, 'Mania XX

I could go on and on with JR quips, but I'm sure everyone is the same. Here's a couple of absolute crackers from Bobby Heenan: 

"I heard a rumour that Piper's mom and dad ran away from home."  - SummerSlam '91

"Virgil just came in, he's number 23, right? Just think, who knows how many bags he's gone through in the back!" - Royal Rumble '92

Bischoff: "When Flair walked by he held up 4 fingers. That was the sign of the 4 Horsemen--" Brain (interrupting): "When Hogan walked by I held up one finger." - Havoc '94

"We got a new heavyweight champion of the world! The first undefeated man in the history of this sport to ever win the World Championship, and have a record of 107, 108...who cares?! There's zero on the other side! We've got a new champion!" - As Goldberg beats Hogan for the World title on Nitro, June 1998

I know Lawler's jokes became a bit tiresome in his latest years (maybe the fact we grew up and he didn't) but some of things he used to come out with were just comedy gold.

I think the commentary side of things gets forgotten about these days, I know you get the occasional quality one liner from somebody but part of the fun back then was the commentary and them selling the match, not sure I quite get that feeling of Saxton and the three man commentary booth these days. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 9:40 PM, AnnouncerSte said:

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here - I'm a developing wrestling commentator hoping to build upon recent work in the UK I've had the pleasure of taking on.

My first topic, is on topic - 

What are your most memorable announcer calls in wrestling history?

Those that come to mind for me are:

Jim Ross "I am not believing this" after HBK's kickout of the Tombstone at WM25

Ross and Lawler when HBK wins the World Title at SS02 - Ross- "Shawn Michaels, Shawn Michaels is the World Champion" Lawler "What did you say??"

Styles at WM22 when Foley gets socko out "Well it isn't very hardcore..." (wraps it in barbed wire) "Ok, now it's hardcore."

Thoughts people, and good to be here.

Hello! 

Nice to meet you! 

• Paid Members

Cole's deadpan delivery then staring at the camera. Booker's disbelief and the "wow" afterwards. JR shaking his head. This came into my head randomly on the bus the other week and it set me off. It's absolutely perfect.

Archived