Hello all - first topic

AnnouncerSte

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here - I'm a developing wrestling commentator hoping to build upon recent work in the UK I've had the pleasure of taking on.

My first topic, is on topic - 

What are your most memorable announcer calls in wrestling history?

Those that come to mind for me are:

Jim Ross "I am not believing this" after HBK's kickout of the Tombstone at WM25

Ross and Lawler when HBK wins the World Title at SS02 - Ross- "Shawn Michaels, Shawn Michaels is the World Champion" Lawler "What did you say??"

Styles at WM22 when Foley gets socko out "Well it isn't very hardcore..." (wraps it in barbed wire) "Ok, now it's hardcore."

Thoughts people, and good to be here.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone will ever forget JR's famous call when Mankind was thrown off the cell at King of the Ring '98: "My goodness, that's got to hurt!" It'll be etched on our brains till the day we die.

• Awards Moderator

My favourite ever call was one I only heard a few months ago. It was JR during the Angle-Orton match from Vengeance 2006: "he's spent more time on the canvas than Rembrandt". Superb, superb stuff.

Beyond that, KOTR 98 is a clear favourite ("with God as my witness he's been broken in half!") - the mythologising of JR's announcing in Foley's first book helped with that for me - and of course Bobby Heenan throughout the 1992 Royal Rumble. Without him, it'd still be a great match but it would certainly be missing a key ingredient in making it a classic.

WrestleMania X8 always gets a chuckle.

APA are making their entrance.

JR: something along the lines of "The APA have to be considered favourites in this match."

King: "Speaking of favourites, my favourite tag team in the WWF are in the ring right now."

JR: "Who's that? The Dudleyz?"

King: "No, Stacy Keibler's left leg and her right one."

45 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

My favourite ever call was one I only heard a few months ago. It was JR during the Angle-Orton match from Vengeance 2006: "he's spent more time on the canvas than Rembrandt". Superb, superb stuff.

You must have not been paying much attention to JR's commentary over the years, as that was probably the 600th time he'd said that.

It is a fun line though

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, The Dart said:

You must have not been paying much attention to JR's commentary over the years, as that was probably the 600th time he'd said that.

It is a fun line though

I don't doubt it! JR was never one for one-off phrases like that, he had a greatest hits setlist for sure. That was genuinely the first time I'd noticed this one, however! Let's put it down to my pretentious increased interest in 17th century Dutch art in the last year... 

The only time I've ever laughed at anything JBL has said on commentary, I think it was from Great American Bash 2007, and for some reason Michael Cole mentions about his wife being Latina, to which JBL fires back with "I'm more amazed that your wifes a woman!". You know he'd had that one on the back burner for ages

Archived