UFC on FOX: Weidman vs Gastelum - Jul 22

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's not up to me to figure that one out (it's not an easy one solution answer, after all, hence why I'm backing away), but a clear cooling of their brand, both on telly and PPV, is surely not doing them any favours. Simply, star power is what draws.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

It's not up to me to figure that one out (it's not an easy one solution answer, after all, hence why I'm backing away), but a clear cooling of their brand, both on telly and PPV, is surely not doing them any favours. Simply, star power is what draws.

Of course star power draws, but in the fight game you have to wait for the stars to come along to an extent. You can't "make" them like they can in pro wrestling really.

I find it tends to work in cycles, and that we'll see an uptick at some point down the line.

• Paid Members

Maybe, it's such a rotten time for the business to take a nosedive, is my point. I realise you can't just make a McGregor or GSP, but the Nunes fight showed how off they can be with this.

It will be interesting to see how much the McGregor/Mayweather fight cannibalises their shows. 

15 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Maybe, it's such a rotten time for the business to take a nosedive, is my point. I realise you can't just make a McGregor or GSP, but the Nunes fight showed how off they can be with this.

It will be interesting to see how much the McGregor/Mayweather fight cannibalises their shows. 

I think a Jones win in spectacular fashion this weekend is what they need, and then for him to go on a tear and keep it together. He's a star in the making, and even has the controversial background to go with it.

• Paid Members

Whilst I'd prefer a Jones win, I Think DC victory would freshen the feud up and add a nice little wrinkle to the whole thing whilst prolonging the story. If Jones just smashes him easily, then there's really nothing left for Jones apart from the Gusty rematch. 

I hate to say it, but go DC. 

• Paid Members

As dangerous a puncher as Rumble is, I don't think he's ever beating Jones. Jones is too smart a fighter and there's too much of a blueprint now on how to beat Rumble. Not many on the planet can carry out that blueprint, granted, but I think Jones is one of them. He'd stifle Rumble's power early, frustrate the fuck out of him then, once he unravels, Jones would dismantle him. 

I wouldn't mind seeing it down the line, just because it'd be a fresh opponent for Jones and at least Rumble would have a punchers chance. But I really don't see that one ending well at all for Rumble. I don't think he's the man to stop Jones. I don't think that man exists in the current UFC 205lb division. Well, he does, but it's Jones himself. He's the most likely to end his own career because he's a fucking idiot. 

18 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

As dangerous a puncher as Rumble is, I don't think he's ever beating Jones. Jones is too smart a fighter and there's too much of a blueprint now on how to beat Rumble. Not many on the planet can carry out that blueprint, granted, but I think Jones is one of them. He'd stifle Rumble's power early, frustrate the fuck out of him then, once he unravels, Jones would dismantle him. 

I wouldn't mind seeing it down the line, just because it'd be a fresh opponent for Jones and at least Rumble would have a punchers chance. But I really don't see that one ending well at all for Rumble. I don't think he's the man to stop Jones. I don't think that man exists in the current UFC 205lb division. Well, he does, but it's Jones himself. He's the most likely to end his own career because he's a fucking idiot. 

See, I would give Rumble more of a chance of beating Jones than I would give him to beat Cormier. 

• Paid Members

Anyone seen the bickering on twitter between Weidman and Bisping since Saturday night? Started with Weidman calling him "that British bum" in his post-fight interview and it's escalated from there.

After the discussion in here though, this was the highlight for me...

image.jpg

• Paid Members

Weidman vs Jacare is what I think they'll go with, which I quite like. Though I also like the idea of Wiedman v Silva III. Two former champions having a trilogy fight to try and get back to wearing the crown. It would likely get Anderson motivated as well I'd think. 

If Whittaker beats Bisping, would that mean the current incarnation of the Middleweight division, has one of, if not the highest, number of current or former champions of the division (not counting interim), still relevant at the top of it? 

Anderson, Weidman, Rockhold, Bisping and possibly Whittaker?

• Paid Members

I'm not even sure Anderson would want the Weidman fight. You'd think it would be something that would motivate him but Anderson's a funny one. He very much marches to his own beat. He seemed mentally done with Weidman whenever he was asked about it after their second fight but who knows? A lots happened since then and Weidman has lost a few since so maybe Anderson would find it more appealing now. I'd be up for it. As much as I feel like Weidman more than proved himself against Anderson, the way the second fight ended did leave it on a shit unsatisfactory ending. Fuck it. Whack it on a Brazil card or the next MSG show. 

Archived