What if they hadn't been champs

Sheffbag

Bit of a fantasy booking scenario. What if certain people had never been champs during that period? who would have stepped up and who would they have had runs with.

For instance Hogans first run. Would Orndoff or Piper been champ for a period as heels with the likes of Studd maybe getting a run with it or Steamboat?

Would the WWF have gone the same way if Austin had never been champ with Rock to face him?

This may bomb or may go well but its a way to pass a few min at work

Might be extreme but if Austin doesn't win the title at WM14 I think WWF loses the Monday Night War and the 2001 simulcast happens the other way around.

Either Vince isn't prepared to let a top star in Bret leave to WCW and is saddled with his massive contract or you get someone like Triple H or The Rock in that main event babyface spot when they weren't ready for it. I think the most likely is that Bret still leaves and Shawn and Hunter politic their way into DX splitting early with Triple H getting the main event spot at Mania 14. Tyson probably doesn't happen at all. Rock and HHH's feud becomes for the WWF Championship rather than for the IC title. Neither gets as over without The Corporation/Rock and Sock/McMahon-Helmsley Regime, which don't happen without Austin imo. The attitude era still happens but is mainly just dick jokes and ECW knockoff matches without anyone as badass as Austin to pull it off properly.

• Paid Members

I'd think Austin would still get a chance with the title, but at such a point as he's gone off the boil and it doesn't get over as big as it actually did. I'd be intrigued to see how things had turned out if Shawn doesn't win the belt at WrestleMania 12 and goes to WCW in '95 with Hall & Nash, turns out to be the third man at Bash At The Beach and we get the Kliq as the nWo running roughshod over WCW.

I think if Hogan hadn't taken the belt in 83, chances are Backlunds run would have lasted longer, but Superfly may have been the other option for a run with it.

I think Vince was determined to change the champ regardless so would Shiek have got a longer run at it or maybe Piper beating Backlund with interference from Orton to protect Bob

• Awards Moderator

The one that comes to mind for me is Bret Hart as Champion in November 1997 or whenever he won his last one. If Bret had never been Champion then, you can set off down a huge chain of "what ifs" and the entire industry could potentially have been fundamentally different.

• Paid Members

The one that comes to mind for me is Bret Hart as Champion in November 1997 or whenever he won his last one. If Bret had never been Champion then, you can set off down a huge chain of "what ifs" and the entire industry could potentially have been fundamentally different.

You could probably call it the Bretterfly effect.

• Paid Members

I wonder how things may have gone differently if Taker had won the belt instead of Bret at Summerslam 1997. Would we have had Bret Vs Shawn at Badd Blood for the title shot at Survivors that year? Shawn wins there then wins the belt at Survivor Series due to Kane debuting there instead?

Archived