TUF Finale: Mighty Mouse vs Some Ham 'n' Egger - Dec 3

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

He can be frustrating to watch because its obvious that he's capable of so much more. Very few fighters get the better of Masvidal on the feet, defensively he's one of the best in the game.

I think his persona outside of the cage has something to do with it too, he goes under the radar but he's always interesting to listen too. Masvidal is the kind of fighter id like to see get the Countdown/documentary treatment, hes got a story to tell.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did we think of this then? Didn't stay up to watch, but heard apart from a hairy first round, it was fairly routine job for DJ.

Guy is on another level, it's immense. Does he go back to Bantamweight if he beats Anderson's record?

• Paid Members

Mighty Mouse is just incredible. He might just be the most complete fighter to ever hold UFC gold. There's really no holes in his game and no fat in his technique. He's like Floyd Mayweather in that way, minus the violence against women and general cuntery.

Fair play to Tim Elliott though. He gave a much better account of himself than I gave him credit for. That first round was the best round anyone's had against DJ since probably the 3rd round of the first Uncle Creepy fight back in 2012. After completely counting him out and calling him a Ham 'n' Egger on here, there was a spell in that first round where I thought I might have egg on my face.

In the end though, Mouse did what great champions do and found a way to overcome the bad shit and come up with answers on the fly. I can't even think who's next to challenge him. What do you do? Wilson Reis was supposed to get the shot at UFC 201. Maybe do that? Although Reis is down as fighting at UFC 208 currently, in a nothing fight against Ulka Sasaki. As small time as Mouse vs Reis sounds as a title fight, I can't think what else to do with him. He's rinsed the division that much!

Really enjoyed the fight though. Some of the transitions on the ground in that opening round were insane.

Benavidez vs Cejudo was good. Not a FOTY type thing but I enjoyed it and the crowd seemed into it. Really close. Could've gone either way and I kind of wished it was a 5 rounder when it ended. I wasn't scoring it closely but I felt like it was probably a draw. I can see them tangling again over 5 rounds down the line because it still feels like unfinished business with how close the decision was and you get the feeling the rivalry isn't over.

Masvidal vs Ellenberger was a funny one. What a strange ending. They should probably just do a rematch of this one. You felt like it was just a matter of time until Masvidal got him out of there anyway but the circumstances of how it happened, it's harsh on Ellenberger that that goes down as a TKO loss. I guess there's nothing in the rule book that says that if your toes get caught in the cage they have to stop the action or call it a No Contest or whatever. But it's a shitty way to lose if you're Ellenberger.

Thought Sara McMann looked good. Probably her best performance yet all-round. Her standup looked a bit better and she got through some dicey moments on the ground with Davis and came through to submit a BJJ black-belt. I like McMann so it's good to see her get a solid win like this. Hopefully she can build on it.

I really like this Brandon Moreno. In an era where I'm not following TUF at all and not many guys stand out coming off the show, I think Moreno actually shows real promise. He's young, you can see the raw skills and he's likeable too. He's constantly fucking excited and it's infectious. Could be great for the Mexican shows.

What the fuck was Hall vs Maynard about? With Hall loving the leg locks there was always the risk it'd go this way but bloody hell it was like pulling teeth. Maynard's been in a couple of these now. This reminded me a lot of his awful fight with Clay Guida years ago. Just of those clashes of styles that didn't work. Maynard had no answer for Hall's unique style. And it is very unique to him. He'll be a tricky puzzle to solve. Not many fighters have that leg lock heavy game mixed with that unorthodox karate style. It's an odd mix.

Between Hall vs Maynard and the weird finish to Masvidal vs Ellenberger, it was a bit of a strange one really. The top two fights made it worthwhile though.

Finally got some time to visit the forum, and have to say that my mindset changed a few times in the lead up to this event.

Initially, I was well into the notion of a house full of champions fighting it out for a title shot against DJ, as it would mean an obvious jump up in class for the fights during the show, and would mean an interesting fight for DJ in the finale.

Then Tim Elliott won the damn thing.

At that point to say I was deflated was an understatement. I had been hoping for an Ogikubo win since the start of the season, and wanted to see how he'd do against Mouse. Then he got decisioned by Tim fucking Elliott in the final. The same guy who got cut after going 2-4 only last year.

Then I watched the fight, and after the first round I was interested again, as Elliott looked a damn sight better than he did back during his first run. He'd also sorted out his hair as well, which was a bonus.

But yeah, DJ eventually took over, and just like Elliott said in his post-fight interview, he did look like he was just happy to be there. It was as if he'd gone "well, I gave it a go in the first and it didn't quite work. Let's see if I can survive the five rounds"

He'll be a decent addition to the roster, but I don't see him doing much.

The Hall vs Maynard fight was interesting. I could understand Maynard complaining about Hall not engaging with him on the feet if he wasn't get blasted in the face by kicks all fight long. Hall fought a superb fight, and his tactic of dropping for a leg whenever anyone closes the distance on him is no different to a wrestler dropping for a takedown in the same position. He just got grief for it because it's not something we see much of in the UFC, but boy was it effective.

Maynard has no grounds for complaint. He didn't want to go to the ground, and he got beaten on the feet. Bully to you, Maynard! 

• Paid Members

Yeah my frustration with the Hall vs Maynard fight was mostly on Maynard. Hall was always going to be chasing those leg locks and dropping for them at every opportunity. The problem was that Maynard had no answer for it. You could tell he wasn't keen on taking Hall down because then he's playing Hall's game on the ground. But on the feet he wasn't doing a lot either, other than stand around and eat kicks.

I was actually impressed by Hall's standup to be honest. Granted, he's no savant by any means, but for a guy who was primarily a grappler he looked pretty comfortable on the feet and moved well.

I used to be a huge fan of Maynard's. but the guy should have retired long ago. He's a shell of a fighter, and looks fucked must of the time now.

Ugh, Johnson never finishes anyone. Even when he does it's in the last 30 seconds of round 5. Taking up too much time of my life!

It was however a mostly entertaining card for one I wasn't going to bother with. 

Some interesting new Octagon Girls......

• Paid Members

Stupidly behind, but it's been a busy week...

Hats off to Tim Elliott, he gave a better account of himself than plenty of other contenders who people thought had a better chance against Mouse. Elliott threated everywhere and pretty much forced Mighty Mouse to fight a very generic, safe kind of fight which is a credit to Elliott and his style. I can't recall another fighter who's forced DJ to have to fight that kind of fight, not recently anyway. Mighty Mouse is legit though, i was rooting for Elliott but that was a Champion's performance, he adapted, shut down the threat and dominated through to the final bell.

Elliott will likely be a staple at 125 for a long time to come though, fans seem to have taken to him and his weird ass style is great to watch.

I had Benvavidez/Cejudo a draw after the point deduction. Good fight that really deserved them extra two rounds. Thought Cejudo probably looked the best he ever has too, how a judge scored round 1 for Benavidez i'll never know.

Masvidal looked great. Sucked about the ending, but that thing was only going one way. Great to see Masvidal step on the gas and be more aggressive too, guys a beast. If Cowboy wins tomorrow, i'm down for Masvidal/Cowboy...or Brown for that matter.

Hall/Maynard was terrible but oddly intriguing. I can't recall any fighter in the modern era look so confused in there as Gray Maynard did. At some point he had to realise that it was time to follow Hall down and try damage him strikes, the guy looked lost out there. Ryan Hall is a puzzle to solve, he's far from a complete fighter but he has such a unique set of skillst that it makes him very difficult to fight, i love watching guys like that.

• Paid Members

Ugh, Johnson never finishes anyone. Even when he does it's in the last 30 seconds of round 5.

Eh? He battered Henry Cejudo in less than 3 minutes in his fight before this. And of his 9 title defences, he's finished 5 of them. Cejudo and Benavidez in the first round. Cariaso in the second.

He's more of a finisher than Jon Jones, GSP or Jose Aldo were during their title reigns.

Archived