Favourites that you soured on...

Liam O'Rourke

Ric Flair for me as well. I usually hold to my boys. Kane's been in the gutter for most of his career but that's all part of the Kane madness and I absoloutely fucking love him. What other wrestler can inspire a conversation I had with a lapsed fan where the words "is Kane a demon or is he still in the world of business?" are dropped. Plenty of guys like Wyatt have the stink now too but I see that more as a reflection of the WWE machine and what it does nowadays. Wyatt coulda and shoulda.

Flair just can't help himself, though. He's the old yeller Triple H heeled against in 2005 for real. And I kind of feel bad in a way for taking that stance because his son died, his daughters a wrestler, his wives all leave him and it all amounts to the business being all he has. I also became the biggest Ric Flair fan ever in 2008 after merely appreciating him as a weird old interfering fucker for a few years prior to that, so around the time of WrestleMania I watched so many Flair packages, went over his DVD sets, stayed up for the Hall Of Fame, thought the "I love you" thing was actually pretty damn keen, thought WrestleMania that year should have closed with a fading shot of his boots and robe in the ring whilst Flair himself melted into an ectoplasmic morph of wrestling brilliance before he ever made it back to Gorilla etc. They'd scoop him up afterwards with a dust pan, fashion his remains into a locket for Triple H to wear that would unlock extra job classes for him or some shit and wrestling would never be the same again because The Man would be gone. Bittersweet.

Well we all know what happened. And did I think he would be like proper proper gone? Of course not, but I did eat up that he'd never wrestle again. And it's not like he's had a million matches but it just burned me on Flair completely and made me realise that I'm not that into his old stuff. I love how a crazy Flair promo can brighten up a dull Nitro even in it's dying days and I appreciate all that he done in the 1980s but he aint my guy, he's not even close to being my guy, and that's cool but yeah it's quite a souring and with guilt on both sides. I don't even know what he's doing now, I can't tell anymore. He could be proper done apart from 'nice' appearances and that's that or he could be booked into a convention centre next week doing his whole Leaving Las Vegas thing.

The comfortable middle ground I can go back to is Evolution era Ric Flair. That's my Ric Flair television character.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Jericho (mid 2010-2015)

I was a huge Jericho fan as I was getting in to wrestling back in 2000. I didn't watch regularly throughout 2002 and 2003 but when I came back to watching weekly after Wrestlemania 20 I was really pleased to see Jericho still around in this company that looked really different.

I enjoyed Jericho on a weekly basis as heel or face and loved the 2005 Cena feud. I was gutted when he left as I felt he had only just started the type of run he should have been having for ages. Obviously the 2008 heel character was very good and I was happy to see Jericho at the top.

However, after Jerishow and in to mid 2010 he became a bloated and more uninspired version of what he was doing and I wasn't interested in seeing him spinning his wheels before leaving again.

2012 produced a handful of good matches but the feud with Punk just didn't connect, a reversal back to the suit wearing character just didn't feel the same in a light up jacket. 2013 and 2014 short runs seemed pointless too and I couldn't invest as it always felt like you knew he how his feuds would end as he wasn't sticking around. Also, Y2J feeing like a tribute act to years gone by at this time did not help.

I enjoyed 2015 network era Jericho where we got some belting matches against Neville in Japan and Owens in MSG. Obviously there was still a bit of the 'tribute act Jericho' stink to him though.

2016 though, what a man. Compeletey undone any bad will from recent years and that takes some doing. I feel like reinvent may be too big a word for this renaissance but maybe not. It's been a treat.

To be fair to Flair, how he was treated in WCW like when they did the angle when he was sent to the asylum and becoming a pastiche of himself (OTT Flair flops etc) really tarnished his legacy back then. It took him returning to the WWE and Trips buddying up to him and being part of Evolution where he started to get his reptuation back on track. Plus the farewell match with HBK was one of the best of his career.

Dean Ambrose. There was a point where I'd have laughed at you if you'd have told me Roman Reigns would one day be my favourite member of The Shield, and that I'd cringe every time Ambrose graced my screen, but that's where we're at. To be fair he's been better recently, but I'm still finding it very hard to enjoy his stuff. 

I absolutely agree with everyone who's said New Day - although I still think Big E would do well in a singles role. 

To be fair to Flair, how he was treated in WCW like when they did the angle when he was sent to the asylum and becoming a pastiche of himself (OTT Flair flops etc) really tarnished his legacy back then. It took him returning to the WWE and Trips buddying up to him and being part of Evolution where he started to get his reptuation back on track. Plus the farewell match with HBK was one of the best of his career.

I hope that was intentional

Mine also has to be Dean Ambrose. He really stood out to me in his Shield days as he genuinely seemed a little bit unhinged, and had a more subtle / effortless way of demonstrating this. Now everything he does looks far too thought out and badly acted. I don't think he quite gets the 'personality turned up to 11' thing and he's become an absolute parody of himself. I feel like I'm watching a shit Living tv biopic of somebody playing what Dean Ambrose should be, rather than somebody who genuinely is a bit of a loose cannon. Far from being unpredictable, he's actually become massively predictable and dull. To be fair it hasn't helped his cause having the commentators tell us how crazy he is every 5 seconds, and don't get me started on his Tesco Value jeans...

I still like Dean Ambrose, I just think he needs separating from JBL (preferably with Bradshaw fucking off to the pre-show asylum), had enouh of him screaming at me how loony Ambrose is

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/5f2atq/SCG_Radio_101_-_The_Bloom_Is_Off_The_Rose.mp3

Join us as we discuss Favourites That You Soured On! Taking your nominations, we discuss individuals that were once thought of in high regard, but for whatever reason have fallen from grace in the eyes of you, the loyal listeners, and us around the oaken table. Names such as Mick Foley, Matt Hardy, Jim Ross, Dean Ambrose, Brock Lesnar, The Rock, Sting, Jake Roberts, Rob Van Dam, Seth Rollins, Ric Flair and Zack Ryder all get discussed, as well as many others to boot. A very fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Before I stick the boot in, I'll say that I enjoyed this show. Lots of great contributions from the listeners and the panel. Particularly our own WyattSheepMask and Gay as Fook who offered rants that came across brilliantly on the "radio".

HOWEVER...

I thought it suffered from the panel all having the same opinion on almost everyone. Particularly the three guys I'll mention below who were given a free pass because the panel all had the same opinion.

The Rock - What the fuck was that? He gets a free pass because he's The Rock? In 1998-2000 maybe. his stuff the last few years has been embarrassing shit delivered abysmally that would have been universally hated if Cena had said it. It doesn't get a free pass because the Rock was cool 15 years ago (and often still is if he's not in WWE). Also, if Old Man Jones is allowed to suggest again that Cena didn't smoke Rock on the mic in that feud, I'm driving down to impress Jimmy Valiant on your table.

Jim Ross - This one wasn't quite as bad but still. The guy's a miserable, bitter, cruel cunt whose lived for years off his reputation as a victim but has pleasantly put that right off his own steam. No one there to point out either that his commentary was lazy and repetitive for years. Like John Motson. He doesn't get a free pass just because Guy Mowbray is shit.

Paul Heyman - His act is so fucking tired. Every promo is the same. He's not been worth listening to for a couple of years. I know he only came up in passing but again dismissed as "He's Paul Heyman". I'm a huge fan of his but that's lame. He's a lazy bastard.

Seriously, really good listen overall.

It's The Rock for me. Fucking loved him in 1998, complained about Austin beating him at Mania 15 the way kids now do anytime Cena or Reigns win a match. Was fully on board for his babyface turn and big run. But in 2004, I watched it back on DVD and I cringed at all his 1999 mic work. Then when he came back in 2011, he was totally exposed and embarrassed by John Cena. I'll still enjoy his heel work in '98 and '03, but everything else, I can't be doing with.

Archived