If Could Take Only 3 Wrestling Matches To a Desert Island...

Liam O'Rourke

These are by no means a top 3 all time but I'd take things that reminded me of what stood out to me and drew me so far into that wrestling malarkey. Normal wrestling viewing is over, I have to look for the key elements

First of all I'd have something like Foley, Edge & Lita v Funk, Dreamer & Beulah at ECW ONS 06. Cos that match is just a ride. Terrifying, hilarious, insane, seedy, fucking gross. That'll take me right back to what I remember wrestling when I first got into it.. Awesome/Tanaka from the year before would be another great shout, but that was quite snappy

Then I'd have Daniel Bryan v Orton v Batista at WM30 to remind me of getting invested in a character. Regardless of how the company wanted to do this Mania, the show was obviously set up for Bryan's big moment and yet they still sucker me in with these cliches like TRIPLE H HAS A SLEDGEHAMMER! and him being taken off on a stretcher that if I wasn't so invested in the character would've meant very little

Third I'm tempted by an Ishii stiff-fest but seeing as a have an E-C-Dub nostalgia match I'll go for Sasha/Bayley from Takeover Brooklyn. Wonderful story, again my knowledge that Bayley would likely win as Sasha had been called up completely went out of the window - when a wrestling story makes you want something so much that being in-the-know just means fuck all is a great feeling. Then there was the crowd, 10k going crazy for a WWE women's match was something I couldnt have imagined when I got into wrestling. The smarkiness of the crowd threatened to spoil it for me with some early boos for Bayley but the pairs stunning performance seemed to totally wipe all that nonsense out of the equation pretty early on. Plus Ishii matches don't (quite) make me cry.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/5u7tdk/SCGRadio73-DesertIslandDuelsPart1.mp3

Join us for Part 1 of our "Desert Island Duels" series! Taking your feedback, we discuss the possibility of being stranded on a desert with only three wrestling matches to watch forever - which ones did you decide to take and why? With fun nostalgia reliving countless classic battles and some awesome personal stories of what different matches meant to you, this ended up being such a blast we're coming back next week for more. An uplifting show that reminded us just why we love pro wrestling - check it out and let us know what you think!

• Awards Moderator

Enjoyed part 2 this week, if these prompt uploads continue then I think I've found my way to get through Fridays at work! 

Liam, if you could once again be good enough to send me a list of the matches mentioned if you have them, that would be amazing. 

Sad that there's no show next week, but excited for the return of the timeline - this is actually the first time I've had to wait for a timeline episode. When the last one came out, I hadn't actually heard any of them, so powered through them all one after the other (which was a very nice way to do it, if you ever did an SCG Monday Night War boxset compilation thing it'd work really well). Glad the next one's not too far away!

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/qyreex/SCGRadio74-DesertIslandDuelsPart2.mp3

Join us for Part 2 of our "Desert Island Duels" series! Taking your feedback, we discuss the possibility of being stranded on a desert with only three wrestling matches to watch forever - which ones did you decide to take and why? We break down matches such as HHH Vs. Cactus, Bret Hart Vs. Roddy Piper, HHH Vs. Rock, Angle Vs. Michaels, Royal Rumble 2001, Lesnar Vs. Cena, Misawa Vs. Kobashi, Punk Vs. Cena matches not at MITB, and quite literally a ton more. This series was a really fun blast of nostalgia and positivity with emotional personal recollections galore. Check it out and let us know what you think!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/qyreex/SCGRadio74-DesertIslandDuelsPart2.mp3

Join us for Part 2 of our "Desert Island Duels" series! Taking your feedback, we discuss the possibility of being stranded on a desert with only three wrestling matches to watch forever - which ones did you decide to take and why? We break down matches such as HHH Vs. Cactus, Bret Hart Vs. Roddy Piper, HHH Vs. Rock, Angle Vs. Michaels, Royal Rumble 2001, Lesnar Vs. Cena, Misawa Vs. Kobashi, Punk Vs. Cena matches not at MITB, and quite literally a ton more. This series was a really fun blast of nostalgia and positivity with emotional personal recollections galore. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Do you have a link to some of your other podcasts too?

• Paid Members

No idea how tempted I was to hit you with LMGTFY. It's sooooooooooooo not hard.

squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com

Archived