Family Name - Help or Hindrance?

Jackpot

Rocky Johnson and Peter Maivia were obviously great, but by the time young Dwayne comes around, nobody outside hardcore fans really remembers them, so it's easy enough to push him as a third-generationer without too much of a shadow. Same with Mr. Perfect and Larry "The Ax" Hennig, and Bret & Stu Hart.

There's a huge difference between Mr Perfect and The Rock's dad, I'd say. Because of the national and global expansion and the comprehensive DVD output, Mr Perfect in 2010 was far more well known than Rocky Johnson was in 1996. The pre-WrestleMania guys are basically nobodies, just names that we know but have no connection to. Even Bruno Sammartino means fuck all to most of us really, and in our memories Bob Backlund is the 1994 loon before he's the bland babyface of his heyday.

• Paid Members

Rocky Johnson and Peter Maivia were obviously great, but by the time young Dwayne comes around, nobody outside hardcore fans really remembers them, so it's easy enough to push him as a third-generationer without too much of a shadow. Same with Mr. Perfect and Larry "The Ax" Hennig, and Bret & Stu Hart.

There's a huge difference between Mr Perfect and The Rock's dad, I'd say. Because of the national and global expansion and the comprehensive DVD output, Mr Perfect in 2010 was far more well known than Rocky Johnson was in 1996. The pre-WrestleMania guys are basically nobodies, just names that we know but have no connection to. Even Bruno Sammartino means fuck all to most of us really, and in our memories Bob Backlund is the 1994 loon before he's the bland babyface of his heyday.

I wasn't comparing Perfect with Rocky Johnson, I was comparing him to The Rock, and Rocky Johnson to Larry Hennig. The Perfect and Curtis Axel comparison, I haven't a clue what to do with.

I think, ultimately, the name makes no difference. A family name may get your foot in the door but the cream always rises to the top. For example, it doesn't take a genius to realise that Charlotte is better than David was and as a result Charlotte is likely to have a longer and fuller career than her brother.

A name isn't a hindrance, but its not going to make someone the top guy. 

• Paid Members

Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas are decent examples of heritage being ignored.

Their lineage is fantastic yet it's never brought up, the fact they're brothers has maybe only been alluded to.

When Bray was Harris, it was mentioned a fair amount, I always recall a promonhe cut ad hoc with Striker where he went on about how his boots belonged to his Uncle Barry.

Pretty much everyone knows they're related to each other and to IRS and the Windham family, yet because they have been booked relatively strongly as individuals no one cares.

It certainly didn't help Dibiase JR. Sure he was good as a tag star in legacy but once they gave him a singles run they basically tried to make him his father. They gave him the Million Dollar Title, He used a version of his Dad's finisher and they even brought in Virgil for a while. Really didn't work out for young Ted.

Archived