10 years since... TWC International Showdown

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

One of the best wrestling days out I've ever had this.

My two abiding memories are the crushing disapointment of losing the camera that had my photos with the wrestlers on, but then the elation of winning the raffle and getting that free trip to New York to see ROH.

Cheers Herbie.

I remember this show not just for being the most star filled event with great matches I had seen till then but for the minor things and major fuck ups to me

I remember creating a signing queue for punk while waiting for Daniels. Saw a guy in a beanie sat on the closed bar, thought to myself he looks familier, probably an fwa and London show hanger on/trainee (there were many at the time who all dressed like grunge sewer rats) realising it was punk I go and speak to him and realise I've basically created his own meet and greet line. I'm sure he was really happy about that

The floor seats were shit, third row was OK at uprising where e barrier rush shit started but here I was in a corner section and it was shit. I spent the second half walking around talking and watching from the back of the hall. Actually missed a few spots of Shane vs raven. Didn't really watch the Japanese match as I wasn't Into it at the time and only saw the high spots fro. The main event

Got my gormless face om the DVD during dougs entrance. Had the wrestling channel on during a summer break from uni and a mate spat out his coffee pretty much when the match came on and he saw me there..even though he knew I was in the building that night. I would go on to make a few more appearances on the wrestling channel with ipwuk, an ldn show maybe among others. My favorite being me walking out looking pissed off (in a rush and hungover) from Gold rush 2004 in my Ott sheepskin coat at the end of the show

Which leads in how glad I was to be wearing that bulky thing that night. Coming fro. St Albans at the time I had gone to BU3 on a certain promoters charter bus. It had actually got me to kings cross with enough time to spare that I could order a super slow burger king and get my train. However this time I think a number of factors happened. 1) the show ran later, in fact I had gone to check on the bus in the main event not want I to be stranded which cut the flow of the main event as talked about earlier. 2) Once in London some cretins....basically bullied said promoter into taking the bus to Victoria first against the scheduled stopping routes. It was already past any chance they had of getting a train but I still had a fucking chance before even if I had to get the next line over and take a short cab ride home. So I get off at Victoria sensing it is a safer part of London than kings cross to bed down in. I end up on the steps of waterloo till 7am as its a Sunday and after a long rail replacement bus I get back to my halls in q state. Now I've can cope with this normally but add in that in 3 hours I had to be back in Victoria to go for Christmas break. I got my coach home, too far actually by 6 miles with my mum left to chase q bus while my dad calls me frantically trying to wake me up. So thanks for all that to the people who had to go to Victoria first....bottom of my heart..fuck you? Ten years later

Showdown definately caused me to stop buying floor seats unless it was Broxbourne after that. I have to have unrestricted views if they are an option now makes life happier

I was training to be a wrestler at this time (a short lived venture) with Stevie Knight and Mick Romeo at 'FWA North-East' in Barton-Upon-Humber, every Sunday.

I remember Stevie the day after International Showdown, packet of fags in hand as always arriving at the training. Obviously we were all keen for stories of his weekend and he was happy to oblige. I remember him saying that he thought CM Punk was a 'dick', how meticulous the NOAH guys were when it came to the ring in Scotland and insisting on the ropes being straight and in alignment, how Misawa thought James Tighe was 'green' and how he was a little miffed that the 6-man was a dark match instead of opening the main show.

Stevie was also practicing moonsaults at that time as his character in the FWA kept teasing it and it had got over quite well with the audience so apparently Alex Shane wanted him to do one on a show.....well, I say he was practicing. If I remember rightly, he was going to try one with a big crash mat in the ring but instead, before even climbing the buckles, said something akin to 'Fuck that! Mavis (he'd always call Alex 'Mavis' for some reason) can do one'. Stevie never did do a moonsault.

Stevie was quite the character. Although how he ended the school was a little shitty in my opinion I appreciate now that he was pissed off with the wrestling business (especially after he lost so much money on the Celebrity Carnage tour) and wanted to move abroad (which he eventually did).

Still, those 6 months in 2005 I trained with him were fun and left me with some great memories - especially from the tour itself.

I like that he held it as close to Hull as he could without having to go over the Humber Bridge twice, this saving his toll money and everyone else paying instead. Was £3 per crossing at the time

• Paid Members

Enjoyed the write up Benny > Myself and Fludder didn't even know a scene exsisted back then but guess the same model is followed to a degree.

What always shocks me is how these shows didn't make an absolute bomb , the numbers quoted are huge regarding fans/ ticket prices.

Archived