maybe stating tbe obvious: Bret Hart is underated!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Bobby Eaton also has a fucking sexy punch. One of the best. You can tell who came up through Mempho, as their punches are supreme. Not just the delivery of them, but the variety of them. Jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts, bolo punches. 

Anyone who thinks punches in wrestling are shit things for shit wrestlers needs to watch some Lawler vs Dundee!

I wouldn't say hes under rated. Everyone knows he was one the best technical wrestlers the WWE has ever had. The problem is now adays the WWE wrestlers don't get long enough to show case their actual wrestling as everythings for tv

His matches vs Mr Perfect from Summerslam 91, Bulldog 92, aswell as other matches like against Shawn Michaels at WM12, Piper WM8 are top quality and not to forget him the 123 Kid from Raw in the early 90s. That's a hidden gem. Iis on the best of Raw dvd. People need to see that match.

• Moderators

Wrestlers get far more time to wrestle in showcases now than when Bret did. Raw didn't exactly have regular 20 minute matches in his pomp, and Superstars and Wrestling Challenge were pretty much all sub 3 min squashes.

Iv always felt that his behaviour/comments/bitterness etc since Montreal and his stroke have over shadowed his actual in ring career and he is known for now and remembered more for those above things which is a shame because in-ring he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he could go with the best of them and was probably at one time the best ever as far as wrestling quality and performance is concerned. He could really make you believe, his selling was very effective and his general stiffness and believability was un-matched in my opinion. He could get a pretty excellent match out of just about anybody and was probably the most reliable hand around.

I feel his bitterness stems from bad decision making i.e. how he handled the whole Montreal thing, the death of Owen which is understandable and the fact that he was forced to retire due to his stroke, I'm confident and im sure he is as well that if he had not had his accident he would have had a lot more to give in the ring and his career would have entered a second faze, along the lines of what happened with Shawn Michaels when he made his return, I don't doubt for a second that Bret could have done what Shawn did if he had not had the accident or Montreal had never occurred. With that said even despite Montreal if he had of been healthy enough, WWE could have cashed in big time on a Bret Hart return to the WWE. When Bret returned a few years back for the Shawn/Vince thing, it was dishearting and a shame to see something have to be watered down due to Brets condition, a lot more could have been done and his return could have delivered a lot more had Bret have been in a position to deliver a more Bret Hart like performance and actually work a more competitive match.

If you take away the period after those incidents and focus solely on his in-ring career I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone else who was better than Bret Hart, his standard of matches and how over he was could make a pretty solid argument that he was the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be.

Tim Horner being brought up in a Bret Hart thread reminds me of the time Lawler shouted at JR 'who cares about Buddy Rogers? No one even remembers him'. If southern wrestling was any good we'd be paying Bill Watts a tenner a month to watch the UWF Network

Anyway, Bret obviously isn't underrated as he's(rightfully) acknowledged as one of the greatest of all time by pretty much everyone in the business, even by people who can't stand him

Plus there's a good chance he fucked Melina, even after Big Dave had been through her

• Moderators

If southern wrestling was any good 

Thousands paid EVERY WEEK to go to the same arena on the same day every single week, so it couldn't have been that bad, could it? WWWF/WWF ran MSG once a month, Jarrett ran the Mid South Coliseum once a week.

• Moderators

The Southern stuffs aged inherently better than old WWF cartoony stuff to be honest. All because the south was based around personal issues. All the feuds were based on personal slights. Jarrett even had it written on his wall "Personal Issues Draw Money", and having problems with people that make you so fucking angry with someone you want to kill them is still relevant today. More cartoony stuff isn't and seems completely of it's time.

• Paid Members

If southern wrestling was any good we'd be paying Bill Watts a tenner a month to watch the UWF Network

Instead I'm paying Vince McMahon a tenner a month to get pissed off at the lack of use of the Mid-South library.

• Moderators

If southern wrestling was any good we'd be paying Bill Watts a tenner a month to watch the UWF Network

Instead I'm paying Vince McMahon a tenner a month to get pissed off at the lack of use of the Mid-South library.

They haven't even got the documentary up! I'd actually pay an extra fiver a month for a "classic" tier showing territorial weeklies.

Archived