Good gimmicks that never caught on

tiger_rick

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I may be in the minority but I thought Adam Bomb was a superb concept for a character, a big fuck off bloke with great agility who was that way because he'd been exposed to radiation as a youngster.

I thought he had the best fucking look. To this wide-eyed year old, he was the next WWF champion. 

• Paid Members
I thought he had the best fucking look. To this wide-eyed year old, he was the next WWF champion.

With his look, agility for his size and increasing popularity, I was convinced that at least he was going to be built up to eventually take the Intercontinental title off Double J... right up until he got flattened by Mabel. Even as a kid, I was like "Well, they have no plans for Bomb then." It made me sad.

Bitterest Man in the World Adam Bomb's shoot interview talks about WrestleMania X. I can't remember the exact answer, but apparently Earthquake couldn't work but Bomb carried him to great house show matches, then at WrestleMania their match got cut because of some reason or other. I think he blamed the clique.

Two suggestions that come to mind for me:

Adam Rose -- he's still there, of course, but it's been a flop. Unique character with a great entrance, seemed like loads of potential for backstage bits and Santino-esque shenanigans... And it didn't work.

Jamie Noble -- his trailer park trash gimmick was great, but I'm thinking specifically of the Napoleon complex run he had around 2008. He could've been the new Crash Holly, probably with a higher ceiling as well. I'd absolutely love either 2002 Jamie Noble or 2008 Jamie Noble on the roster now as a full-timer. 

The reason why Quake Vs Adam Bomb turned into a squash at Mania 10 was probably due to time, this was their reason for pulling the 10 man tag off the card. But to be fair I don't know how and why this match ended up on the WrestleMania 10 card to begin with. This match is up there with that Owen Vs Skinner match from Mania 8.  Just pointless.

• Paid Members

Never understood why Earthquake squashed him at Mania 10

I don't know how and why this match ended up on the WrestleMania 10 card to begin with. This match is up there with that Owen Vs Skinner match from Mania 8.  Just pointless.

The reasons for it being short on the night have been covered (time constraints), but the reason it was booked in the first place (Bomb replacing Ludvig Borga, who had broken his ankle in January but they had hoped he would recover in time for Mania) and that 'Quake was always going to go over strong with a clean win, is that he'd been brought back specifically to give Yokozuna a feud for after WrestleMania. Nobody's going to believe you've got much chance against the 568lb top heel, just coming off nearly a year with the belt, if you struggle too much with Adam Bomb.

The reasons for it being short on the night have been covered (time constraints), but the reason it was booked in the first place (Bomb replacing Ludvig Borga, who had broken his ankle in January but they had hoped he would recover in time for Mania) and that 'Quake was always going to go over strong with a clean win, is that he'd been brought back specifically to give Yokozuna a feud for after WrestleMania. Nobody's going to believe you've got much chance against the 568lb top heel, just coming off nearly a year with the belt, if you struggle too much with Adam Bomb.

Even then, it seems silly. They could have turned Adam Bomb babyface to feud with Yokozuna. It's mad that at the same time they were running the New Generation campaign, they were bringing back Earthquake and Roddy Piper and still using the Bushwhackers, who must have been pushing 80 at the time.

• Paid Members
It's mad that at the same time they were running the New Generation campaign, they were bringing back Earthquake and Roddy Piper and still using the Bushwhackers, who must have been pushing 80 at the time.

And by July they had green-lit going with Bob Backlund, whose best years were in the 70s, as the next big heel. As good as some of the "psycho Backlund" TV turned out to be, it still made the "New Generation" bollocks seem risible.

• Paid Members

Earthquake was only 30 at the time and still had a hell of a presence. He would have jobbed to Yoko in the end and put over the new talent. He was barely two years older than Shawn Michaels. I would have loved the proposed Earthquake comebacks in 98 and 2001 to be honest.

I always liked the concept of the Truth Commission. The idea of a Stable each with specific skills and a defined role was quite good and I quite like their paramilitary look. Don Callis was pretty good in his role but the other 4 were the absolute shits.

Yeah, The Jackyl was underrated but I don't think the Truth Commission helped in that the outfits they wore looked shite. I think they should have ditched the army stuff and gone with a proper 'cult' theme earlier and maybe it could have gone further/got bigger (especially in the 90's as there was that Heaven's Gate cult and Waco/David Koresh). Seeing The Jackyl put with The Oddities was pretty disappointing, they could have gone a lot further with that gimmick in my opinion.

• Paid Members

Just to cross over the last two topics, when Golga first appeared I was convinced it was Tank from the Truth Commission, who was actually Mantaur. But then, I probably wasn't 100% sure that Tank hadn't been Earthquake anyway.

Remember when Recon and Sniper were repackaged as "Armageddon" under their real names? Gimmick name, but no discernible gimmick. Thank Christ that Recon would eventually become a megastar as B2.

Archived