#JeSuisCharlie

SpursRiot2012

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Is this not the biggest attack on our freedom that we've had in our lifetimes? It's a fucking madness.

Surely that's the GCHQ/Snowden revelations? Finding out everyone’s communications are intercepted & kept. That mobiles & laptops are used as open listening/snooping devices on a mass scale is a farbigger attack on our freedoms than 2 nutters killing a dozen people.

The scale isn't even comparable

Is this not the biggest attack on our freedom that we've had in our lifetimes? It's a fucking madness. 

Louch: On this subject you're coming across like a fucking idiot.

I dislike the lazy media led term of labelling everyone terrorists. And how it's only used when Muslims commit mass murders. Try and see beyond that.

Louch: On this subject you're coming across like a fucking idiot.

I dislike the lazy media led term of labelling everyone terrorists. And how it's only used when Muslims commit mass murders. Try and see beyond that.

• Paid Members

Where's the distinction made between 'terrorists' & 'crazed gunmen'? Is it purely down to how the media decides to report it or is it now dependant on the perpetrators religion? Was the bloke who gunned down that Batman screening in the USA a terrorist? What if he shouted 'Praise Allah' whilst doing it, would that make a difference?

And again on this, we had plenty Irish terrorists back in the day, Terrorism is terrorism.

Terrorism is used to further a political cause. Yesterday was idiots killing people through misinterpreted readings of a centuries old text, and using that misreading as an excuse to commit senseless acts of violence. If you can't see the difference then I can't help it either.

• Paid Members

And again on this, we had plenty Irish terrorists back in the day, Terrorism is terrorism

Unfortunately terrorism isn't terrorism. People can, & have been arrested on 'terrorism' charges for heckling politicians and police can & have used 'anti terror' laws for anything such as detaining journalists (the Miranda case) & stopping political protest.

I'm aware this is nothing to do with what happened yesterday but it's no longer as black & white as many would like to think.

• Paid Members

In reply to Louch: No, it isn't. Either you're being pedantic or you're a cunt. The dictionary definition of terrorist might be one thing, what happened yesterday was 21st century terrorism. Killing however many people, cartoonists and editors who had previously, in your mind, disrespected your God, with the idea that everyone else will think twice about doing similar in future. Terrorism.

• Paid Members

And again on this, we had plenty Irish terrorists back in the day, Terrorism is terrorism

Unfortunately terrorism isn't terrorism. People can, & have been arrested on 'terrorism' charges for heckling politicians and police can & have used 'anti terror' laws for anything such as detaining journalists (the Miranda case) & stopping political protest.

I'm aware this is nothing to do with what happened yesterday but it's no longer as black & white as many would like to think.

Dude, you think I'm not angry about the use of anti-terrorism laws to stifle democratic protest? Of course I am. But one thing at a time!

Just because it's your definition of terrorism, through what u read in the paper, and see on tv described as terrorism , doesn't make it terrorism. Dictionary definitions are there for a reason - because thats what the words really mean!!

That you can't reply without insulting me shows there is no point trying to have an sort of discussion with you.

• Paid Members

That's your business. Fact is, three-ish terrorists went and shot dead a bunch of people yesterday because of their (as you say) misinterpretation of their religious beliefs. They happened to be Muslim. But they were. They were. Life, eh?

According to the UK Terrorism Act 2000, terrorism is:

The use or threat of action designed to influence the government or an international governmental organisation or to intimidate the public, or a section of the public; made for the purposes of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause; and it involves or causes:

serious violence against a person;
serious damage to a property;
a threat to a person's life;
a serious risk to the health and safety of the public; or
serious interference with or disruption to an electronic system.

Archived