Was the Invasion angle always destined to fail?

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

My main bugbear with WCW was the sound mixing. Eric Bishcoff really didn't seem to like entrance music and ring announcing bleeding through so you could actually hear it properly. It seemed like Penzer was only there for the benefit of the live venue crowd.

I want to thank everybody for the answers and comments - the show is now online to listen to, as the panel discuss, from start to finish, the entire Invasion angle. Including inside notes from the Observer and Figure Four Weekly Newsletters from 2001, breaking down how the biggest potential angle of all time fell apart, week by week. And of course, your feedback on expectations, high points, and the moment it died for you. This one was a lot of fun to do  - check it out, and as always, let us know what you think...

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/8bhesf/SCGRadio17-WasTheInvasionDoomedToFail.mp3

• Paid Members

My main bugbear with WCW was the sound mixing. Eric Bishcoff really didn't seem to like entrance music and ring announcing bleeding through so you could actually hear it properly. It seemed like Penzer was only there for the benefit of the live venue crowd.

I’ve noticed this re-watching old episodes of Nitro. I don’t remember it from watching the edited episodes of WCW WorldWide on Channel 5.

Why was WCW production always so shit? They had money. It always looked gloomy, grey, and under-lit compared to WWF. Even TNA (on less money) looks far superior to WCW from a lighting & set perspesctive

I dont think they had the budget. I liked it though, better than the Impact Zone
I think it was more to do with just a general neglect of presentation and aesthetics. Their budgets were huge, they must've had the money to make a decent arena set up, hire in teams who made shit hot graphics, presentation packages, montages etc. But they just didn't appear to care much for that side of things. It carried over into other things like wrestlers with little character definition, crap ring attires, and even music. (not that there was no great characters, attires or themes).

Didn't Bischoff or Jericho say in one of their books that WCW used to be sent the crap employees from Turner that none of the other companies wanted. So they'd end up with camera men who didn't have a clue how to shoot wrestling matches and stuff like that. Probably the same for production and stuff too.

Archived