UFC 173: Barao vs Dillashaw

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I tell you what I've noticed about Cormier, he's scarily a clone of Cain (or the other way around depending on your view point). Their suffocating styles are so alike and their relentless ground game are identical.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My brother stayed over for 173 and that's pretty much exactly what he said. Especially when Cormier did that thing Cain likes to do where the opponent is on all fours and they (Cain and DC) just hold on at the side smacking them in the head. Some of his cage clinch work is very Cain-esque as well. You can tell they spar a lot in the striking and grappling.

Meant to mention before but Dillashaw's performance gave me temporary amnesia, Tony Ferguson's KO of Kikuno was fucking ruthless. His head bounced off the canvas, twice. I really can't stand Ferguson but he's looked good of late, I must admit.

Enjoyed Iaquinta vs Clarke as well. Great comeback from Clarke after a rough first round. That choke came out of nowhere, Rogan didn't even seem to spot it until it was locked in.

• Paid Members

ahhh you fuckers beat me to it with the Cain comparison, i was gonna say that. It was a very-Cain like performance when the fight hit the ground, not super damaging but just working so much that the fights gonna stay exactly where it is.

People are saying it was against a fading Hendo but regardless it was still a pretty scary and very impressive performance, DC's never been in a moments danger in his MMA career.

People are saying it was against a fading Hendo but regardless it was still a pretty scary and very impressive performance, DC's never been in a moments danger in his MMA career.

I didn't think Hendo was fading, but he did look much smaller, which is an issue in a grappling match between two skilled fighters.

• Paid Members

the size difference was significant but the way he threw Hendo around was just insane. It's rare to see someone thrown around with such ease in MMA, especially when you consider the wrestling credentials of Hendo, he may have outsized but you think he'd be able to prevent being tossed around like he was.

I'm yet to chime in on the performance of TJ Dillashaw also, it really was an amazing performance. I've been trying to remember a similar situation where i guy as unheralded as Dillashaw comes in and just destroys a guy considered to to be the p4p best fighter in the world, i can't think of one. There's been some crazy upsets in MMA but it usually comes through a freak KO or something like that (GSP/Serra 1), this was sheer domination in an area of the fight you'd think Barao would be the much better fighter.

Next fight-wise, Dana seems to lean towards a Dillashaw/Barao rematch, i don't think that's necessary at the moment, the fight was too one sided to go down that route for me, i'd do Dillashaw/Assuncao, that fight makes a lot of sense especially considering Dillashaw is now the man in the division. I think Barao needs to win one to get back in line personally.

I'll echo wand's mention of the Ferguson and Clarke performances which have got buried underneath the performances at the top of the card. Two great shows for two different reasons, Ferguson didn't allow Kikuno to play his weird karate game and just put a beating on a guy who seemed clueless under pressure and Clarke's performance will end up on any future Ultimate Comeback type shows.

• Paid Members

I personally think the greatest fight out there in all of MMA from a competitive stand point and simply fighters at the top of their games is Jones vs Cormier.

In fact, I would actually go on record saying that those 2 fighters at their peak is perhaps the greatest MMA fight of all time in terms of pure talent. Despite Cormier's strength, Jones will tower over him and I think it will be fascinating to see the contrasting styles collide.

On this basis, despite liking Gusty more than Jones, I want to see a Jones win to set up this fight.

I'm yet to chime in on the performance of TJ Dillashaw also, it really was an amazing performance. I've been trying to remember a similar situation where i guy as unheralded as Dillashaw comes in and just destroys a guy considered to to be the p4p best fighter in the world, i can't think of one. There's been some crazy upsets in MMA but it usually comes through a freak KO or something like that (GSP/Serra 1), this was sheer domination in an area of the fight you'd think Barao would be the much better fighter.

Next fight-wise, Dana seems to lean towards a Dillashaw/Barao rematch, i don't think that's necessary at the moment, the fight was too one sided to go down that route for me, i'd do Dillashaw/Assuncao, that fight makes a lot of sense especially considering Dillashaw is now the man in the division. I think Barao needs to win one to get back in line personally.

Bit late to the discussion but I

• Paid Members

DC is worthy of the hype, the weight cut doesn't seem to have affected him at all and his heavyweight resume is pretty impressive so count that in as well.

DC's still a rookie in MMA terms, i know he's getting up there in age but the guy looks fantastic physically right now and i dont think age will play a factor anytime soon, i don't think there's many guys who can challenge the guy at 205 given his skillset.

• Paid Members

Bit late to the discussion but I

• Paid Members

The way he absolutely dominated Josh Barnett was when I really became a believer of Cormier. He'd KO'd Bigfoot before that which was impressive, but no-one had ever handled Barnett like Cormier did over the course of a fight. Barnett's losses up to then had mostly either been close decisions (Nog), controversial stoppages (Cro Cop x2) or when Rizzo knocked him out when he was green. This was Cormier controlling every aspect of the fight, as the smaller man as well. I remember someone calling him 'The Black Fedor' at the time and that's kind of what he looked like. Not in terms of fighting style, but the way he was able to beat these bigger guys dominantly as an undersized and chubby heavyweight. People were quick to excuse the Barnett fight because Barnett broke his hand, but DC broke his hand as well and was still able to pick Barnett up and slam him, Hogan-Andre WrestleMania III style.

The comment he made about Jones being scared of him, I don't think he's serious about that. He's just trying to drum up interest in the fight. It's a nice little soundbite they can use on the promos if/when the fight eventually happens. He's spoken very highly of Jones as a fighter plenty of times, he knows Jones isn't scared of anyone.

I love the Jones vs Cormier fight. I hope it happens. It's the closest we've got to seeing Cain vs Jones for the forseeable future as well.

• Paid Members
he should be beating the likes of Barnett, Mir and Bigfoot with ease really.

No-one at that time had beat Barnett with ease though. Cormier was the first, and there was Travis Browne later but at the time they fought, Cormier wasn't expected to walk through Barnett the way he did at all. When they fought Barnett had had 36 fights. Cormier only had 9, and his only really notable win was Bigfoot. He was the underdog and he crushed Barnett for 25 minutes and gave him nothing. Outside of one brief spell on the feet, it looked like a 25 minute Steiner Brothers squash from Worldwide in '92.

Cormier was the underdog vs Bigfoot as well. He was still a rookie and was only in the tournament as an alternate because other guys dropped out. And he won the whole tournament.

I just don

Archived