UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just been watching the Bisping-Le weigh-in video and there are some fighters with terrible records on that card tomorrow.

Royson Wee (3-0) has already been talked about, but his opponent according to the on-screen UFC record is 1-2!

Lipeng Zhang is 8-7-1, Wang Sai is 7-5-1, Anying Wang is 2-1 (according to UFC, they have worse records elsewhere).

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, the requirements to land a UFC contract these days are lower than ever. They just need bodies to fill undercards. So even if you've only got two or three fights, as long as you're from a country where they're planning to hold a card and you're cheap, they'll give you a go. As Wee's opponent shows, you don't even have to have a winning record anymore. It used to be that you usually had to be coming off a three fight win streak over decent names for Joe Silva to even bother looking up your number. Times have changed.

I'll have to avoid the sites tomorrow afternoon. Good job Jim brought that up or I'd probably have forgot and ruined it for myself like a spanner. I'll watch the BT showing.

Funny they're only testing Bisping and Le after the fight. I thought they always did pre and post-fight tests? Why have I got this feeling Le's going to flatten Bisping and then fail the test? It just seems to be the way with Bisping. Look at his big losses. Hendo (TRT man), Sonnen (TRT, HGH, EPO, alphabet soup of PEDs man), Wanderlei (running from tests man), Vitor (TRT man). There's only Rashad and Kennedy who haven't been linked to some kind of drug controversy.

I still think Bisping should beat Le. But if he does lose and especially if he gets laid out, man, that'll probably be it for him as far as getting in title contention goes. Especially losing to a 42 year old part timer.

• Paid Members

I must admit, my inner troll wants to see Royston Wee built up to something like a 10-0 record with blatant tin cans, having him cut promos how he's the uncrowned champion and the best thing since sliced Jesus, blah blah blah - sort of like an MMA Honky Tonk Man, really pissing off the fans. Then have him completely obliterated by Barao, Faber or Dillashaw. It would be very entertaining, I think.

• Paid Members

The thing with Wee for me is, he's actually fighting the kind of opposition he should be fighting as a 3-0 novice. The likes Cain Velasquez, BJ Penn, Chris Weidman or Ronda Rousey are incredibly rare. Those type of freakishly skilled fighters have the natural talent and ability to improve at a ridiculous rate that means they can challenge for or win UFC titles within 10 fights. But the vast majority of MMA fighters can't do that.

Like Royston Wee. Luke Thomas was saying on his live chat this week that Wee couldn't even pass guard in his last fight (and it wasn't like he was fighting Demian Maia, it was another newbie). He's got a ton of work to do. Wee should wreck this 1-2 guy if he's any good. He should be smashing these guys if he's any type of prospect. So we'll see.

It's just weird for me. I've got no problem with a three fight novice fighting cans to gain experience for a bit. It's just really weird to see it happening actually in the UFC when the UFC's meant to be the Premier League of MMA. It's all just about plugging holes and filling cards on the calendar.

Elizabeth Phillips (136lbs, 4-2) vs. Milana Dudieva (135lbs, 10-3) was long periods of nothing punctuated by a few moments of action, capped off with nothing really happening. Dudieva showed her punching power early in the first round and it was clear that this spooked Phillips who started backing off and that was almost all she did for the rest of the fight. They grappled a little and Dudieva generally had the advantage there. Dudieva wins on a split decision, and Andy Friedlander found a way to screw up reading numbers off a card. Kenny Florian called the decision awful but Phillips did almost nothing but back up the entire fight, and when they grappled or were on the floor, Dudieva was the more aggressive

Yao Zhikui (135lbs, 1-1) vs. Royston Wee (136lbs, 3-0) saw the ‘much heralded’ Wee not look bad for the first minute or so but after that, it was all Zhikui. Not that Zhikui looked that great; he’s clearly green as grass and has a way to go before being even average. However, he still outshone Wee who realistically has no place being in the UFC, but when you’re looking for bodies to full up local shows, you go with whatever you can get. And somehow, Wee won on a Split Decision, with Andy Friedlander yet again screwing up on reading the scores properly.

• Paid Members

The unstoppable machine that is Royston Wee rolls on - there seems to be no-one in the world who can stop his momentum!

This is actually starting to fit in with the trolling scenario I described above. Tin cans, bad decisions, undefeated streak - this is going to be hilarious if they can keep it up for him.

Wang Anying (170lbs, 2-0) vs. Colby Covington (171lbs, 5-0) turned into quite the one-sided, one round beating, with Covington looking sharp and dangerous with the ground and pound. However, like in the Wee fight, it remains to be seen whether it was because one guy was really that good or the other guy was just not good enough.

Archived