UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whether something is on Fox Sports or Fight Pass is to do with time zones, not quality.

David's not saying that at all. He's basically saying this headliner is so fucking bad that replaying the Dublin card would draw better ratings for the channel.

I wasn't replying to David specifically. A lot of people are talking as if Fox Sports = C show and Fight Pass = D show

To be fair, I wasn't even aware of it myself (that every single card in North American is on Fox Sports/Fox) so you at least opened my eyes.

Well, to be fair, the Fight Pass shows are often weak (because they're full of local fighters and people the locals can plausibly beat), but the timezone thing seems to be the key factor. The Brazil shows are also on Fox Sports, since they're only an hour ahead of the US.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Maynard still has enough of his name left to where beating him will mean something. Not as much as it used to, but it's still good to have on your résumé that you beat Gray Maynard. Now, after this, if Pearson does win, then I'd say that beating Maynard doesn't mean a whole lot.

• Paid Members

Maynard's fallen pretty hard compared to where he was sitting in 2011 but if you think Pearson not beating Maynard doesn't mean anything you're wrong, Maynard still sits at #12 in the UFC rankings, Pearson's not in the top 15, Trujilo is not in the top 15... it's a bigger fight for Ross.

I wouldn't say that it means absolutely nothing, but it's like beating a solid mid card guy like Evan Dunham. I'm surprised that Maynard is still ranked to be honest, two first round KOs and the stinker with Guida- the guy needs to retire.

But, I guess people know his name. For me, Pearson beating Trujillo would have said a lot more about where he stands in the division for me. Trujillo is coming off that crazy fight and KO of Jamie Varner, Gray hasn't done a damn thing since the Edgar fights over 3 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

arguably the most least talked about UFC show in history, this is tomorrow!

...considering we've had two weeks off im actually looking forward to it. Been following the press and listening to the MMA Beat today and their ripping the bout order on this card, pretty much everything thinks Makovsky/Formiga, McMann/Murphy need to be on the main card.

• Paid Members

Yeah I definitely think Makovsky vs Formiga should've been put on the main card. I'd have moved Baczynski's fight to FS2, bumped Makovsky vs Formiga up to FS1 and had McMann vs Murphy headline the prelims.

It's a thin card and I'm still not arsed about the main event. There's a few good fights there though, and like you say, the little break we've had means I'm looking forward to some fights now so this'll do. Pearson vs Maynard is kind of interesting, Boetsch-Tavares and Tavares-Peralta should both be good. I can see Makovsky-Formiga stealing the show, a win for Makovsky here could see him bag the next title shot at 125 as well (all the more reason it should've been on the main card). And I'm looking forward to see how Sara McMann looks coming off her first loss. And she's against the unbeaten former Invicta champ as well. Some decent stuff on the card. It'd look a lot better if it had a more appealing headliner.

I'm looking forward to the main event because I like OSP, I don't like Bader. and I think OSP has a good chance at beating Bader and getting someone higher up the ladder. If OSP can keep the distance or has good enough takedown defence, I think he has more than enough to handle Bader and I think he'll finish him with strikes. I'd like to see OSP KO Bader but we'll see. Pearson vs. Maynard has the potential to be a great moment for Pearson with a KO finish of Maynard, which most people seem to think is what we will see, but if Maynard has anything left in the tank, this could turn into a grinder with Maynard taking Pearson down and holding him there for all three rounds.Tavares vs. Boetsch could  be a scrap; Boetsch's back will be against the wall because a loss here means he'll be 1-4 in his last five. and that victory was a close split decision win over CB Dollaway that probably should have gone to CB. I expect this one to be hard hitting and I think Tavares will edge it.

On the undercard, I'm very interested in McMann vs. Murphy, especially to see how McMann comes back from her quick loss to Rousey and if McMann has added anything to her game.

This isn't a card with much you can get 'into' beforehand but I think it could turn into a good night of fights.

• Paid Members

kinda strange how OSP hasnt really caught on in the UFC, he's 4-0 and looks to be improving every fight, hes finishing fools but he gets little love. This is abit of a statement fight, i think a finish of Bader throws him right in the mix...and vice versa, whether we like it or not if Bader wins tomorrow, that muthafucker is a contender.

Since moving back to my parents and not having BT Sport anymore, I've lost touch with UFC over the past few months, but I managed to stream the McGregor fight last month, so gonna try the same again tonight to see Ross fight Maynard.  Should be a fun scrap.

• Paid Members

I've got a feeling Maynard's beating Ross Pearson tonight. Maynard absolutely has to win tonight so I've got a feeling he'll try to go back to his bread and butter. And without checking, has Pearson even fought a good wrestler yet, much less beat one?

Maynard by decision for me, but I'm hoping for Pearson by KO.

• Paid Members

Some berk at BT Sport's pressed the wrong button and I'm looking at an empty cricket pitch instead of the prelims. Still more exciting than Bader but this is a right bollocks-up. Half hour in and they haven't even put the old 'sorry you cunts, we're experiencing technical difficulties' message up. Amateurs. Fuck it, I'm going to bed.

Archived