UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was a remarkable performance and to make Guida look like a chump really is something. Guida fucked me off by doing a Benson Henderson when just after he tapped he gets up and jogs around the octagon like an utter twat. Get the fuck out of the way and let the better man claim his rightful place in the spot light. Its embarrassing behaviour.

Haha, I just think the jogging is Guida's thing or gimmick and I'm not sure he meant any disrespect. He's like the non stop dancing priest from Father Ted. I like him but he's a bit of a novelty act, a midcard gatekeeper you have to beat to get a crack at the featherweight top five. McGregor should have to fight him too.

For me, Bermudez oozes quality. I like Aldo but I would really like to see Mendes vs Bermudez for the title next year.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guida looked absolutely fucked as soon as he got taken down, like he lost his balls the second it hit the mat. Has he been taken down much in the UFC?

Only watched the main card after the fact- finally have a solid Internet connection at home again but we had to go out while this was live to celebrate my cousin's 8th birthday- little brat she is. Anyway, was a very good card.

Didn't rate Lawler vs. Brown all that highly until the 5th round- it was a good, competitive fight, but not the classic I was expecting. Then they came out guns blazing, everything on the line, and it was fantastic. Brown winging a punch with all his might when his hand definitely appeared broken was damn impressive. Brown was tough, but Lawler was more skilled. Skills usually beat toughness, sorry Mr. Immortal. I think this'll keep him near the top of the division, a gallant effort against the elite.

Rumble... hell yeah! Exactly what I wanted to see. Rumble vs. Glover seems like the next logical step to me, then bring on the shitle tot.

Bobby Green... nice feel good story considering what he's been through. Thomson seems to be losing a step, he's seemed more aggressive when fighting Bendo and obviously Diaz.

• Paid Members

Glover's coming off the loss to Jones though. So Rumble vs Glover mightn't be likely. You never know these days I guess with how the matchmaking is. But I wouldn't think they'll do Rumble vs Glover next. Plus Glover's meant to be fighting Phil Davis on the Brazil PPV in October.

Bifkin - Yeah, there's no denying that Bermudez has been more tested than McGregor so far. There's more to base an opinion on him as a fighter because we've seen more of him. He's really turned a corner the last year or so as well. I remember it was only a couple of years ago he was getting dropped pretty regularly. He was winning but he seemed to get hurt at least once every fight. Tommy Hayden dropped him (if I'm remembering right) at UFC 150, Grice decked him in their war at UFC 157. He's got a lot better at not being too reckless and getting caught. And this Guida fight was his biggest step up in level yet and it was probably the easiest win he's had in the UFC. Or at least he made it look that way. He crushed Guida.

Off topic for a sec but when people were acting like Max Holloway was a bum because Conor McGregor beat him - you look at the tear Bermudez is on, then watch Bermudez vs Holloway. Holloway arguably won that fight, I think I did score it for him actually. Bermudez mostly smashed everyone else in his seven fight streak, but Holloway ran him right to the wire. Holloway is no joke. I still think that win, on one leg, was McGregor's best so far. Despite the highlight reel thrashings of Brimage and Brandao, to completely dominate Max Holloway one legged was even more impressive in hindsight. Especially given how good Holloway's looked since.

I've been saying since McGregor's debut against Brimage that I wanted to see McGregor vs Bermudez. I really think that's a great fight. And it would answer a lot of questions about McGregor. If McGregor beats Poirier, maybe we'll see it. But I reckon Bermudez will get Ricardo Lamas next.

So, apparently Jones vs. Cormier is getting something ‘major’ for its co-main event. Most speculation I’ve seen/heard is that it’s Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz and the whole ‘Silva will be ready by the new year’ was a smokescreen. On the one hand, I don’t know that I can buy Silva being back less than a year after shattering his leg. On the other hand, nothing would surprise me about Silva. And if not Silva against Diaz, what else fits the bill of being something that could ‘double the buys’ for Jones vs. Cormier?

• Paid Members

UFC-Fight-Night-47-poster1.jpg

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD

Ryan Bader vs Ovince St Preux

Ross Pearson vs Gray Maynard

Tim Boetsch vs Brad Tavares

Seth Baczynski vs Alan Jouban

Shawn Jordan vs Jack May

Thiago Tavares vs Robbie Peralta

FOX SPORTS 2 PRELIMS

Zach Makovsky vs Jussier Formiga

Sara McMann vs Lauren Murphy

Tom Watson vs Sam Alvey

Frankie Saenz vs Nolan Ticman

There might be a Fight Pass fight or two added yet.

Erm, yeah, it's alright for a Fight Night. But this main event holds little interest for me really. I don't know what it is but I never get excited for Bader fights no matter who he's up against. Even when he's coming off a strong performance or a KO or something, I just feel nothing when I see his name on a card. OSP has looked very good recently but this is a step up. I don't necessarily think it'll be a bad fight, I'm just not that arsed.

By process of elimination looking at the division, the winner probably fights Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson. Yeah, I think I'd rather lose this one if I was one of these guys.

Pearson vs Trujillo is where it's at for me on this card. Can't wait for this one. Only thing I don't really like is Pearson's taken it on short notice. Coming off that bollocks decision against Sanchez I guess he wanted back in there quick, but Trujillo's an animal. Short notice for that mightn't be a good idea. Should be a cracker though.

Boetsch vs Tavares could be decent. Maynard vs Camoes is really do or die for Maynard. He's barely fought the last two years and it's not been a good run. He hasn't been right since the Edgar fights IMO. Had that stinker with Guida then got destroyed by TJ Grant and Nate Diaz, both inside a round. Must win situation for him here, and Camoes is experienced and can be tricky. But he's a level down for Gray, so if Gray loses this one as well...well it might be time to hang 'em up. Makovsky vs Formiga should be a really good fight. Makovsky is quietly racking up wins at 125, another one here could see him knocking on the door of a title shot by the end of the year. Interested to see how Sara McMann rebounds from her first loss to Ronda. Lauren Murphy was Invicta's 135lbs champion and never lost the title, unbeaten at 8-0. Could be good.

It's a decent little show really. I'm just numb to the main event. I get why it's there, they're both top ten (I think?) at 205 so it makes sense giving them a bit of the spotlight, but the Beige Bader factor kills a bit of my enthusiasm for the card.

• Paid Members

good show Saturday...Lawler/Brown was a good fight, not a classic but it was as advertised two very tough guys throwing down. Lawler's power was the difference as i expected, he just seemd to hurt Brown when he landed clean. I thought Brown steered away from his in-close muay thai attack too much, he was doing great on the inside but he just didn't step in there enough...probably had something to do with him getting hurt when he did, but that was where Brown was having most his success.

Thought Bobby Green tricked his way into the decision. He may have justifiably won the fight 29-28 but the little antics during the fight probably swayed the judges, i find it entertaining and frustrating in equal measues. Green is naturally talented but there were large portions of the fight last night where he just wasn't throwing anything. Still i think the fact that he looked so comfortable probably made an impression on the judges. I wanna see Bobby Green fight Jorge Masvidal.

Rumble/Nog was probably the highest level mis-match in MMA ive seen in some time, there was never no doubt that Johnson was going to destroy Nog, it was quite sad to see. Rumble just looks like a monster.

As for Pat Cummins, he looked good again and he's justified that initial hype he was getting after MMA fans shit on him after losing to Cormier, but Rogan's hard-on for him was annoying, only for him to go from wanking him off to shitting on him in round 3 for not finishing.

• Paid Members

Green vs Masvidal would be good but I think I'd rather see Cerrone vs Masvidal myself. Maybe Green vs Barboza.

Any bashing Pat Cummins took after losing to Cormier was bollocks. He took that on something mad like 10 days notice, didn't he? And with only four fights under his belt. And it was fucking Cormier! He's redeemed himself in his last two fights, he's about where he should be now on the card for a guy with just six fights. I wouldn't mind seeing Cummins vs Some Fucker next.

• Paid Members

ohh yeh i like that fight.

anyone see the Facebook prelims? real fun fight between Trator and Arreola. Trator in particular is a guy i'll look out for in future, wild man.

Give me a moment and I might just be able to generate some interest in this card.

Nah, the moment's gone.

They put the Dublin card on Fight Pass but this gets the TV treatment? It's not like Bader and OSP are going to draw anything but breath.

Half the point of Fight Pass, at least according to Dana, is to run these international events in their own time zones.

But I'm with you. Bader is slightly above average on his best day, and OSP hasn't really done anything to make me sit up and take notice of him yet.

Pearson vs. Trujillo will be fireworks. Hoping for a Pearson win, but Abel has sick power. If Cub Swanson can shut Pearson's lights out, Trujillo sure can.

I also like Thiago Tavares vs. Robbie Peralta. Peralta has been a favourite of mine on prelims for a fair while, nice to see he gets a main card opener. And Tavares is a guy who seems to have been around forever, but has started to come into his own in his last few fights, a bit like how Rafael dos Anjos turned the corner and became a top contender.

• Paid Members

i think Bader/OSP is a perfectly accceptable Fight Pass show headliner, it's 2 top 10 guys squaring off. The problem being that OSP still hasn't had that break through moment and Bader has little to no fan-fair despite having been in the UFC for a long time. I'm favouring St. Preux, and as a headliner it shines a light on two guys as to say 'these are two guys you need to be paying attention too', ive got no problem with it.

Rest of the main card is a doozy though, I was gutted with Trujillo/Green was pulled but Pearson stepping in is great, that'll be a fun fight.

Just a few months ago Boestch/Tavares probably would have headlined this but they've both dropped off a little, sink or swim fight.

Few prelims look good too, Makovsky/Formiga should be a main card fight (though i guess it doesn't really matter on a Fight Pass show), Seth Baczynski never has a boring fight, the return of Sara McMann.

oh and Tom Watson! Kong needs a win badly, came into the UFC with abit of a name, causing a buzz, calling out everyone and going on that anti-drugs tirade but bottom line is, he isn't winning fights, 1-3 in the UFC now and likely cut with a loss...Kong needs to win.

• Paid Members

The problem with the Bader/OSP fight is that Dana always insisted that fight night fights would be headlined by fights that would have potential title implications.

This certainly is not as both fighters are easily 3 fights away from even a sniff at the 205 title. It's certainly not Marquardt/Tu Huna bad,but it's certainly not great. For me, this is no more than a PPV Opener, or a 2nd PPV fight.

It's really tough for Dana to live up to claims like that in the current climate. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Joe Silva and Sean Shelby, their workload has tripled in the last year. As much as this isn't that enticing, we have to remember that there's a slew of cards that have us salivating within the next few months. Sure, it's possible to take a fight from the loaded schedule to use as a better headliner, but every now and then we just have to grin and bear stuff like this. I've been one of the biggest complainers on here about over-saturation, but I think the matchmakers deserve to be cut a little slack now.

• Paid Members

It's really tough for Dana to live up to claims like that in the current climate. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Joe Silva and Sean Shelby, their workload has tripled in the last year. As much as this isn't that enticing, we have to remember that there's a slew of cards that have us salivating within the next few months. Sure, it's possible to take a fight from the loaded schedule to use as a better headliner, but every now and then we just have to grin and bear stuff like this. I've been one of the biggest complainers on here about over-saturation, but I think the matchmakers deserve to be cut a little slack now.

It's not a problem with match-making though. There's nothing wrong with this fight whatsoever. It completely makes sense in their respective positions in the 205 division.

I don't even think it's a case of eliminating these fight pass cards, far from it, but I just think the UFC are probably doing 5-8 too many shows a year. I think they've just expanded a little too quickly as their talent roster in terms of stars and major up and comers is too thin at the moment.

Archived