UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I think it's fine betting on yourself to win, I'm sure I've seen comments from other fighters saying they've done the same. Of course if you bet on yourself to lose that's a different story entirely. It'd be very hard to stop though either way. If you were in the UFC and were going to bet on yourself either way, then there'd be nothing to stop you just getting a mate to put the bet on for you. It does seem dodgy though.

What interested me with that was he specifically mentioned Paddy Power, when they had another betting site's logo as a sponsor on the very canvas he was stood on. It wasn't quite Brock Lesnar's "that's right a Coors Light, because Bud Light won't pay me nothing" but I bet Dana and Lorenzo didn't like him mentioning a rival to one of their specific sponsors for that very show.

And yeah, Some Fucker's doing alright isn't he. It's good to see. I've grown to really like the big lummox. I think he'll struggle with some of the really big 205ers but for now, he's doing good. It's good to see.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They're just something I dislike about Parke. He's no doubt got some talent but everything he does rubs me up the wrong way. I can't wait for him to catch a beating.

Probably stems from that phone business during The Smashes, and him crying when he got found out.

• Paid Members

An amusing thing just happened. My brother, who lives in Australia and has never really shown any interested in pro wrestling or MMA, has just got in contact with me, all excited, after hearing I was there live for the McGregor fight. Supposedly he lives with a couple of Irish guys in Australia and between them going bonkers for it, combined with how much he himself enjoyed the show and the atmosphere, he sounds like he's been completely converted.

Conor McGregor is the fucking saviour of this sport.

• Paid Members

I know what you mean Silky.

I've noticed since McGregor took off, and especially for this Dublin fight, that Parke was trying to be more of a talker. I totally get why and it's smart to call out specific guys, especially big names like Diego Sanchez. But he doesn't do it very well and it comes off so awkward and forced to me. His pre-fight interview with Helwani and the interview him and Pickett did with GAD on the BT Sport broadcast - he kept saying stuff that I think was meant to sound threatening and he'd do some forced 'scary face' with starey eyes and clenched jaw, the lot. I actually laughed. It just doesn't come off right. Like he's trying to be something he's not.

Did anyone else find GAD's antics at the end of the broadcast completely cringeworthy? When Dana was talking and he kept trying to butt in and was laughing awkwardly etc?

My mates girlfriend is a body language expert, and she was watching that event with him. She said that at the end the way Dana was reacting to GAD simply screamed out that he can't stand the guy. At all.

• Paid Members

Who do you keep calling "Big fucker"?

That would be 'some fucker' Ilir Latifi.

When he originally got announced to replace Mousasi at the Sweden show, no one knew much about him and I think we were struggling with his name. So 'some fucker' was born.

• Paid Members

Did anyone else find GAD's antics at the end of the broadcast completely cringeworthy? When Dana was talking and he kept trying to butt in and was laughing awkwardly etc?

My mates girlfriend is a body language expert, and she was watching that event with him. She said that at the end the way Dana was reacting to GAD simply screamed out that he can't stand the guy. At all.

You don't need to be a body language expert to sense Dana's annoyance with Davies. It's clear as day. Every time they ever interact I always get the same impression, which is that Dana is obviously appreciative of the support and coverage he gives them, but just wishes it was someone other than this complete berk.

I'll always remember that scrum from London in February, where Dana had clearly wrapped it up, was beginning to stand up and leave, yet GAD continued to ask inane questions regardless. It genuinely baffles me that anyone could possibly converse with, or watch Davies twitching about, and think he's suited to being in front of a camera, never mind as the fucking face of MMA coverage in the UK!

• Paid Members

GAD seriously needs to just fuck off. If MMA somehow crumbled in this country to where no one was interested, it would be this greasy cunt's fault!

I actually had a flip out moment last week where I was thankful my wife or son wasn't there to witness. I was watching BT's Beyond the Octagon where despite GAD doing a few voice overs, he was thankfully absent from the broadcast which was there to build up the Dublin show. Caroline Pearce was doing it along with some british fighter who actually seemed pretty good.

Anyway, as the broadcast finished, a boxing show started immediately after it. It was covering Saul Alverez's latest fight. THEN, to my despair, GAD fucking appears fronting the fucking show. I honestly lost the plot. Is anywhere not safe from this cretin???

Wand, in relation to the Norman Parke betting, the big thing with this was that Parke made a bet that he would finish this in the second round, not just he would win. That's allsorts of wrong in my opinion. Firstly, he's in position to slow the pace down to influence the outcome to get to the second round. It's also extremely dangerous to an opponent who was obviously utterly outclassed. For all we know, Parke could have rained down punches, then held off a little just enough for the ref not to call off the fight?

I don't think there's anything wrong with betting that you will win, but betting on a particular outcome outside of that is completely wrong.

• Paid Members

I Also laughed at how badly GAD had to get the last word in during the analysis between fights on the show. Watching him squirming to be heard above the other two was pretty funny and infuriating at the same time.

I think it was before the Gunnar fight that Barnatt spent a good bit of time talking up Cummins power, and then right at the end GAD brought it up like he was letting us in on a secret.

Massive wanker.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Dana isn't keen on GAD. He tolerates him because I guess the UFC don't think there is, or at least haven't found, a better option to front the UFC coverage in the UK. There's got to be better than him doing MMA media here but because he writes for the Telegraph and got his foot in the door first back in the Setanta days, we're stuck with the floppy haired buffoon it seems.

Anyway, here's a cool photo of the SBG lot after the show;

MMA.jpg

Also, does anyone else detect an Irish twang in Gunnar's accent these days? He's been training there for a long time and around Irish people a lot so it's kind of to be expected. I love that he's kind of been adopted by Ireland.

Shows how much of a home run that Dublin show was that we're still banging on about it on Wednesday. When does that happen outside the bigger PPVs these days. We've got Robbie Lawler vs Matt Brown in three days and we're still talking Dublin and bumming McGregor in two separate threads. They really did knock it out of the park on Saturday.

Also, does anyone else detect an Irish twang in Gunnar's accent these days? He's been training there for a long time and around Irish people a lot so it's kind of to be expected. I love that he's kind of been adopted by Ireland.

I may be wrong, but I think Nelson picked up a lot of his English whilst training in Ireland, so it's natural that he'd pick up the accent as well I guess.

I've seen the same thing with foreign footballers who come to Glasgow with no English, but who pick it up after being there a few years. They tend to have a Scottish twang to their accents as well.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's becoming more and more Irish. Cathal Pendred tweeted this on Saturday night;

BtAegCXIUAAmIJb.jpg

@GunniNelson's new born baby showing some Irish pride back home in Iceland.

No DNA test required there either. You can tell it's Gunnar's kid by the icy cold stare :)

They're just something I dislike about Parke. He's no doubt got some talent but everything he does rubs me up the wrong way. I can't wait for him to catch a beating.

Agreed

He was doing that on the BT Sport broadcast. it was like an out of place kid trying to talk to two adult. GAD was not really listening to the other two pundits, and spent his time trying to butt in when they were talking.

GAD is comedy gold in small doses, so I am glad he is about. But, as the chap alluded to above, I would not want to be watching him on a weekly basis,as I am sure the novelty would vanish

Archived