UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

the Ireland show is feeling very special, im just gutted im away Saturday night. I'll avoid spoilers, no worries.As for the New Jersey show, brilliant show. Outside of the main event there was only a few things i had interest in, but there seriously wasn't a duff fight on the card, 9 finishes out of 11 and all of them pretty sweet.Cowboy was just on fire, he had Miller's number from the opening bell. He took some heavy shots but attacking Cowboy's head is the wrong way to go, he was in terminator mode and trekked forward and went after Miller's body. It was a hell of a performance, and arguably the best of Cowboy's career. Goes from strength to strength, i don't fancy his chances with Khabib though.The whole show was great, Linekar/Oskilic was just in insane 125lb slugfest. Linekar would probably get a shot if it wasn't for the Johnson/Cariaso fight, he looked awesome and his cardio was on point. This was a war.White/Martins, Proctor/Salas, Tibau/Healy were all quality fights too. Pat Healy's now lost 4 on the bounce, all agains top oppoistion but cut? hope not, i love watching Healy fight.One quick observation...has anyone noticed that ref's are jumping in to stop fights really quickly these days? It's almost like they've been given instructions to do so because it's happening to frequently. As soon as a fighter is dropped the refs are stepping in, sometimes they are getting it right but other times they aren't. I thought Justin Salas should have been given more time, he'd recovered and stood up ready to throw as the ref stepped in. Even in the Miller/Cowboy fight (which was a good stoppage), Big Dan jumped in as soon as the headkick landed, there's no way he saw that Miller was out from the where he was standing, he was jumping in before he even saw how Miller was on the ground...you may say 'safety first' but i think the ref's are pulling the trigger way to quickly on jumping in. Even the stoppages in the Linekar/Oskilic and Martins/White fights were quick...justified maybe but it feels like the ref's are jumping in based on the fighters being knocked down.Same thing happened several times on the New Zealand show a couple of weeks ago.Even in the last WSOF there was a very suspect stoppage of a guy still on his feet, he shipped some heavy shots and the ref jumped in.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

As soon as these interviews came out, Connor has single handily made this event into almost THE biggest of the year so far, bar perhaps UFC 175. Even then, I'm more excited personally for this than 175.He's done exactly what needs to be done in this sport, made himself to be the attraction, rather than the organisation itself. I'm watching this fight because of Connor Mcgregor, not because it's the UFC. Too many times lately i've simply been watching because it's the UFC, rather than the fighters.The card itself is a decent card too, with Nelson slowly proving to be a star too with his (as already mentioned) Fedor like demeanour. He's certainly an intriguing fighter that seems to be on the cusp of greatness too.Ariel Helwani deserves props for his coverage as he's truly been an important cog in this hype machine that's been building this week. It's what truly fucks me off about Dana White (well, apart from not signing Ben Askren!), Helwani is so important to his organisation, but all he does is give sarcastic shit to Ariel during press conferences and scrums.

There are instances where a prospect can lose and still look strong, but Brandao isn't even close to being a top 15 fighter, let alone a top 10 one. McGregor has to win this, and do so in quite decent fashion.
You are a hard man to please Brandao is not elite, but he has lost twice in 4 years, to Elkins and Poirer. Plus the UFC rank Brandao at 15. I know the UFC Rankings are suspect but I think you are being harsh on Brandao there.

• Paid Members
Can't stand the crowds at MMA shows, TBH. Bunch of knobs trying to act hard. Ruins it.
I know, loads of Tap Out and Ecko t-shirts, along with Celtic Jerseys and bald heads, apart from tufts of hair atop their crown everywhere. It was like that a couple months back at an event in the Skylon Hotel.
Even if McGregor fails, at least us Brits can say we have the best octagon girl in Carly Baker
But McGregor isn't British?

Can't stand the crowds at MMA shows, TBH. Bunch of knobs trying to act hard. Ruins it.
I know, loads of Tap Out and Ecko t-shirts, along with Celtic Jerseys and bald heads, apart from tufts of hair atop their crown everywhere. It was like that a couple months back at an event in the Skylon Hotel.
Even if McGregor fails, at least us Brits can say we have the best octagon girl in Carly Baker
But McGregor isn't British?
Right you areI forget Dublin is not part of the U.K for some reason.

Would have been though, had it not been for those meddling rebels.
:laugh: On the subject of MMA fans, I thought UFC shows were not meant to be that bad. I thought it was more local MMA shows where the true "2 can Van Dammes" (credit to Keith Houchen) turned up. The two shows I went to in Birmingham and Nottingham a few years back, everyone was fairly reasonable.

• Paid Members

the crowds ive been in have been alright, there's definitely some dicks about but ive never walked away thinking 'never again' or anything like that, ive always been lucky to be sat around decent folk too. The crowd at the UFC expo a few years ago was great, felt like it was full of genuine fans.Live fight shows are always gonna a percentage attract drunken tough guys though, theres no escaping it.

Dave's just covering his bases in case McGregors wins spectacuarly on Saturday night.
Dave's already said that he fully expects McGregor to win in spectacular fashion. My doubt was over the Miller fight, not this one. Brandao is tailor-made for McGregor.

Archived