UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Isnt it just the once a year febuary show in london now?

Last year they did London in Feb (Barao-McDonald) and Manchester in Oct (Machida-Munoz). Year before they did Nottingham around Sep/Oct as well. I don't know if the Dublin show has taken the second UK slot this year though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I actually had no idea that there were 2 fight nights this weekend let alone 1. I know Wand posted the line ups on the previous page but it was buried amongst the aftermath of the previous fight night.

I honestly didn't even know Swanson had signed on to face Stephens, in a main event no less! Throughout the 2 events there are a handful of decent fights. The just mentioned being the highlight but I'm also looking forward to Gastelum's fight too. The guy is a real beast at WW.

Te Huna vs Marquardt pretty much is the worst headliner of an event I can recall and I've zero interest in that one.

• Paid Members

I think Te Huna vs Marquardt is a decent fight, just a weak headliner. I'd be very surprised if it goes the distance. Te Huna KO or Marquardt Sub is my thinking.

Swanson vs Stephens is the definite main event of the weekend though. That should be a cracking fight. And should really have title implications. Especially if Swanson wins. I think a win here should land Swanson the Aldo-Mendes winner. I like Swanson to win as well. He's the better all round striker, better on the ground, better movement, faster. Stephens has big power though so that could be the equalizer. Then again, Swanson isn't exactly pillow-fisted himself.

Hioki vs Oliveira is a fight I'm excited about as well.

Looked up the listings;

Swanson vs Stephens Fight Night is on BT Sport 1 on Sat night/Sun morning. Prelims at 1am, main card at 3am.

The New Zealand show though, isn't on until Sunday night at 9pm on BT Sport 2 as far as I can tell.

• Paid Members

so is Nate Marquadt done, or has is he just having a bad run?

I guess you'd call his Welterweight run a disaster but that run still included that tremendous performance against Tyron Woodley to win the Strikeforce strap, after that he ran into the technical leg kicking masterpiece of Tarec Saffiedine then he was blown out by two of the biggest hitters in the division. I guess the losses prompted the return to Middleweight and maybe it'll come with a return to form?

• Paid Members

I'll be honest, when Marquardt dropped to 170 and knocked out Woodley in that awesome fight, I really thought he was going to go on a tear at welterweight. It might've been his best career performance and it was his 170 debut, which just made me think maybe 170 was his ideal division. It's not like he's losing to scrubs. Saffiedine, Ellenberger and Lombard are all tough matchups for anyone. But that three fight slump, and especially the back-to-back first round KO losses, have to be hard to bounce back from mentally. Te Huna is a notch below those guys so if Nate loses this it doesn't look good. I wouldn't say he's done yet, but with another loss here he might be. Especially another KO.

It's an interesting one really. Te Huna's dropping from 205, Marquardt's coming up from 170. Maybe Te Huna will be better at 185. TJ Grant was a journeyman at 170, dropped to 155 and became a fucking murderer. Who's to say Te Huna won't be better? Or the other way, maybe the weight cut won't work for him and leave him sluggish, like Ross Pearson at 145. There's a few ways it can go. Add in the hometown advantage for Te Huna/or hometown pressure. Both guys badly need to win this.

• Paid Members

Main card

James Te Huna (186) vs. Nate Marquardt (186)

Soa Palelei (264) vs. Jared Rosholt (259)

Hatsu Hioki (146) vs. Charles Oliveira (145)

Robert Whittaker (171) vs. Mike Rhodes (171)

Undercard

Jake Matthews (156) vs. Dashon Johnson (155)

Richie Vaculik (125.5) vs. Roldan Sangcha-an (125)

Chris Indich (170) vs. Vik Grujic (171)

Neil Magny (171) vs. Rodrigo Goiana de Lima (169)

Dan Hooker (145) vs. Ian Entwistle (145.5)

Gian Villante (205.5) vs. Sean O'Connell (205)

actually interested in this one top-to-bottom. The undercard is TUF Nations heavy and i enjoyed watching most of those guys fight so it's nice to see them kept around. Gian Villante never seems to be in a dull scrap either, sleeper little card for me...and of course a debuting Brit.

• Paid Members

I don't have Fight Pass so I'm only going to see the main card. Which is fine because I'm not arsed about the prelims. Not that they won't be good, maybe they will, but nothing grabs me there. I like Villante and I'm kind of intrigued by Ian Entwistle's debut just from all the talk on the Cage Warriors forum over the years. He's a real marmite man on there. Aside from that though, I'm not fussed about missing anything. I didn't see TUF Nations so those names mean nothing to me either.

I quite like the main card really. Whittaker is a scrapper. I love the Hioki vs Oliveira fight as I've said a few times. I think that might steal the show. Te Huna vs Marquardt should be exciting, especially with it being in Te Huna's backyard. Palelei vs Rosholt could swing either way. I could see it being surprisingly enjoyable, a quick KO or a steaming turd.

I like these short and sweet Fight Pass main cards though. They only last about two hours so even if you're not in love with the card, it's not asking too much of your time. If you record it and skip through the breaks, you could get through it in an hour and a half or less easy.

• Paid Members

the dude Whitaker is fighting is another Duke Roufus guy, so expect a bit of a standup battle there. Rhodes has been recounding his UFC debut this last week where he cut 36lb in 11 days to make weight, not ideal.

• Paid Members

Te Huna is the favourite in most places it seems. Have I missed something here?

Sure Marquardt is on the decline but Te Huna is a significant step down from the guys who have been beating Marquardt of late. I've seen people saying Nate's chin is gone, which based on coming off two first round KOs sounds plausible. But they were to Hector Lombard and Jake Ellenberger. Two of the heaviest handed welterweights in the sport. The jury's still out on Marquardt's chin for me. Te Huna hits hard as well, and he's big, I'm not writing off the chances he knocks Marquardt out. I don't blame anyone picking him. But why's he considered the consensus favourite? We've got it almost neck and neck in the poll, which is how I expected it. But everywhere else I read seem to have Te Huna as the favourite.

Aside from landing a bomb, how does Te Huna win this? Marquardt has better wrestling, better BJJ, possibly better cardio, good striking himself, more experience, I'd say he's quicker. Power and size is Te Huna's only edge. Plus Te Huna's fighting at 185 for the first time. There's the possibility he might have had a rough weight cut. Whereas Nate is coming back up from 170 and won't have cut as much. The weight cut could be especially crucial if the fight goes long. If Te Huna hasn't got the cut done right he could struggle.

I don't know. It's a near 50/50 fight to me but I like Marquardt to win this. Homefield advantage only takes you so far. I'll go with Marquardt via submission. Guillotine choke. Round three.

• Paid Members

if i had any money i'd lump a few quid down on Nate if he's the underdog.

oh as for the other show:

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)

Cub Swanson (145) vs. Jeremy Stephens (145)

Kelvin Gastelum (172.75)* vs. Nicholas Musoke (171)

Andrew Craig (186) vs. Cezar Ferreira (186)

Hacran Dias (146) vs. Ricardo Lamas (146)

Clint Hester (186) vs. Antonio Braga Neto (185)

Joe Ellenberger (155.5) vs. James Moontasri (156)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

Carlos Diego Ferreira (155) vs. Colton Smith (156)

Johnny Bedford (136) vs. Cody Gibson (135)

Andy Enz (186) vs. Marcelo Guimaraes (186)

Ray Borg (126) vs. Shane Howell (125.5)

Gastelum missed weight.

Archived