UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I love the idea of Gunnar vs Stun Gun. Kim's probably a few rungs higher up the ladder right now though so can't see it yet. Gunnar vs Wonderboy could be a fun clash of styles.

Next up...

021114-UFC-shogun-vs-henderson-ahn-PI.vresize.330.186.high.89.jpg

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD

Dan Henderson vs Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua

Cezar Ferreira vs CB Dollaway

Norman Parke vs Leonardo Santos

Fabio Maldonado vs Gian Villante

Michel Prazeres vs Mairbek Taisumov

Rony Jason vs Steven Siler

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Ronny Markes vs Thiago Santos

Scott Jorgensen vs Jussier Formiga

Thiago Perpetuo vs Kenny Robertson

Francimar Barroso vs Hans Stringer

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Godofredo Castro vs Noad Lahat

OK, I'm mega excited for this. Looking from the Fight Pass fights on up, it's not a bad card, nothing special. But then you get to that main event.

Hendo vs Shogun 2! While I'm not expecting this to live up to their first fight (it'd be unfair to hold them to recreating that), I think these two are just a match made in MMA heaven. I think you could match them up 10 times and you'd get nothing but a mix of incredible wars and/or knockouts. Some combinations just match up stylistically for something a bit special and I think these two are probably one of those cases.

Shogun%20vs%20Henderson.jpg

For anyone who somehow missed the first fight, or anyone who needs reminding of the first fight, watch this highlight;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=dRlv9pDERVw

They were supposed to fight a couple of times in the Pride days but it always fell through for one reason or another. Then finally in November 2011, it was booked. And thank fuck Dana decided to make all UFC main events five rounds earlier that year, because it gave us one of the greatest fights in MMA history. Had this been a standard three rounder, it'd have been a one sided, albeit fairly exciting decision for Hendo. Those last two rounds took it from a good fight to a great fight, as Shogun took an ungodly battering in the first three rounds, almost being stopped more than once;

ufc-139-full-fight-dan-henderson-vs-shogun-rua_crop_340x234.jpg

Only to make a miraculous comeback in rounds four and five. I still don't know how he survived that first three round barrage from Henderson. But in round four he turned the fight around completely;

Hendersonbeingchin-checkedbyRua_display_image.jpg

He almost knocked Hendo out with that uppercut, then took him down and dominated the last two rounds to the point the decision was actually in question by the final buzzer, something you'd never have expected after the dominant first three rounds in Hendo's favour.

But in the end;

Shogun%20and%20Hendo.jpg

Henderson had built up enough of a lead early on that just hanging on and surviving that last ten minutes was enough. I had the fight a draw myself as I had Shogun taking the fifth 10-8. But I didn't have a huge problem with the decision or anything.

What a fucking fight though. Probably still my favourite. It wasn't pretty, wasn't the most technical, they both gassed, but that's what happens when two guys go all out for the kill for 25 minutes straight. Hunt vs Bigfoot was pretty much the heavyweight equivalent of this. Just a thriller of a fight between two of my all-time favourite fighters. I've said it before but it was like a real life version of Balboa vs Drago. When I watch it I feel like it should have a Vince DiCola soundtrack playing along with it.

Look at the aftermath;

hendersonshorts.jpg

Looks like there should be chalk outlines in the Octagon.

Here's what a giddy Dana White said after the fight;

Without a doubt, it was one of the top three best fights ever in MMA, without a doubt. I have so much respect for both of those guys to dig down that deep in a five round fight. That was like our Ali-Frazier 3, you know what I mean? It was incredible.

This is one of those tough fights. In the first round, they both knocked each other down. You give Henderson the first three rounds, you give Shogun four, and you give Shogun 10-8 in the last round for a dominant round, it's a draw. It's one of those tough ones but that's how I scored it. But who the hell am I?"

Since that fight, you could argue neither fighter has been the same since. There's other factors involved in that of course - Hendo's age, both guys' injuries - but a hard battle like Hendo vs Shogun 1 is the type that can knock a few years off a career. Especially a career as long and rough as these guys have had.

Since the first fight Hendo is 0-3 with losses to Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort. And the Belfort loss was his first ever KO loss. Shogun has gone 2-2 since the first fight with losses to Alexander Gustafsson and Chael Sonnen, and wins over Brandon Vera and James Te Huna. They've both had bumpy rides since.

The rematch was signed and they both seem to view this as the right time to meet again...

Hendo on the rematch;

"Anytime you get a fight as good as that you want to see it again. If I had gone out there and knocked him out pretty bad and handily won, I wouldn't have done it again. I think a lot of fans wanted to see it, and I think Shogun wanted to do it again, too."

"I think he might change his tactics just a little bit, as will I. I pretty much think it's going to be a war again."

Shogun on the rematch;

"We're both aggressive fighters, we don't go there to play it safe, so it's going to be a great fight. The first fight with Dan Henderson was a war, everybody loved it. Every MMA fan wants to see it again and, God willing, I'll get out with the win this time."

"Fighting at home is better. There's no time zone changes, no climate changes. It's way better. I'm happy to be fighting in Brazil again against a guy like Dan Henderson, someone that I respect a lot."

"I'm going there to get a win. I will go for the finish all the time. Everybody knows that that's how I fight, so I'm going for the knockout."

So there you have it, the rematch is on

_WR_8135.jpg

The rest, it might be good. Can't say I'm massively arsed about much of it on paper. Ferreira vs Dollaway could be good. Dollaway has had some cracking fights lately with Boetsch and Sarafian. Jason vs Siler should be action packed, I am looking forward to that one. Always enjoy watching Maldonado so that's a plus.

Brandao vs Chope intrigues me. Chope is the huge featherweight who fought Max Holloway in Singapore. Came in with a bit of hype and a load of experience. It's a funny match up as well with the size difference. And Brandao's always aggressive. This is probably the pick of the prelims for me. Jorgensen vs Formiga could be one to keep an eye on also.

So yeah, fun to be had with this. There's enough good stuff there sprinkled throughout the card. It's all about the main event for me though.

shogun-hendo-injured_large_large.jpg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as Gunnar Nelson goes, he said he wants to be on the Dublin card. Which would make logistical sense as he'll bring the Scandinavian fans over and he's also McGregor's training partner. Stick him on co-main against someone like Ellenberger, Stun Gun or Wonderboy - that'd be ideal.

If Dublin ends up with both Gunnar & McGregor on the card I'm there for sure.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'd say Gunnar is likely for that show. McGregor, Gunnar and Neil Seery will all probably be on there. Depending on when the Penn vs Edgar TUF finishes as well, I reckon they might put Cathal Pendred on there as well. He's on TUF but he's a better fit for the Dublin card really being Irish and another McGregor team mate. So unless he reaches the TUF finals and has to be on the Finale, I reckon he'll end up on the Dublin show.

• Paid Members

aye bung Neil Seery on there too, the Irish fans will really get behind their boys.

Saturday night was another great example of MMA showing patriotism towards their fighters, all the UK fighters got amazing receptions, the crowd was loud for every British fighter and there were lots of fans for the Swedes on the card, it was great to see, made for a good atmosphere.

• Paid Members

There's one thing I wanted to add that I found refreshing along with the other changes (commentary team, pundits in the arena etc etc), but the lack of "feel the pain" intro at the beginning and all that other crap the UFC seem to put at the start of their shows.

My wife was in the living room with me when watching BT's coverage, and it felt like a real sporting event. For some reason when the Feel the pain intro kicks in, it almost makes me feel embarrassed about what I'm about to watch. Without it, I took away that barbaric feel you get when that song is played.

I would actually like to see the UFC approach each numbered event differently making each event feel unique to the viewer, rather than the same graphics/intros every time.

For some reason when the Feel the pain intro kicks in, it almost makes me feel embarrassed about what I'm about to watch. Without it, I took away that barbaric feel you get when that song is played.

I would actually like to see the UFC approach each numbered event differently making each event feel unique to the viewer, rather than the same graphics/intros every time.

I have been saying this for years

Showtime did a excellent job with their opening video packages for Strikeforce. When presented right, MMA/UFC can have a real sports feel to it.

• Paid Members

They actually did still do the 'Face the Pain' intro in the arena.

I'm with you guys though, it's just awful, awful, cringey shit. It was always shit but it sort of, kind of fit the UFC's product back in the early 2000s. The UFC have outgrown it now though. They're on bastard FOX, they're all over the world, and that type of screamy shite should have been sacked off years ago. 'Face the Pain' should've died a death with Dana's hair in 2003 at the latest.

It is embarrassing. I usually mute it every time but a few months ago I was watching a UFC PPV I'd recorded the night before and while I was in the kitchen my girlfriend's mom came round unannounced, just as 'Face the Pain' came on. I felt I should apologise or something. My ears have already been polluted with that vile song, but she wasn't asking for that the poor woman. What she heard can't be unheard. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. She looked at me as if to say 'oh dear, what is my daughter marrying?'

Dana won't part with it though. The more people tell him how crap it is the more stubborn he is about it. I don't want to face the pain anymore.

its unlikely for me cause it'll during Festival season but id fucking love to do it.

That's a bit of a bummer, Ebb. I was hoping we could get a few jars and get into some meaningless debate in ~real life~ about womens MMA or something just like we do on here! :D

Archived