UFC 163: 'Aldo vs Zombie'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think criticising the UFC commentary is pretty harsh tbh. Given it's usually just 2 guys commentating on up to 5hrs of fights I think they do a blinding job. Most sports commentary is full of asinine filler but because, for example, a football match only lasts 90 mins it's less grating/noticeable.

When Weidman landed that blow on Anderson t'other week, if Joe Rogan would have said "Chris Weidman, Take a Bow Son. Unbelievable!" I would have absolutely loved it!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, thinking about it, there really aren't many fighter/commentators who I didn't like in the role. I even thought Mir was great and I can't stand him. I wasn't keen on Trigg or Frank Shamrock. Oh and Tito was hilariously shite in Affliction. Pierre Guillet...oh alright, fuck this point.

Trigg was terrible, his commentary during Fedor vs Hunt and Wanderlai vs Cro Cop in Pride stands out to me as his worst.

Say anything bad about Frank Shamrock again though and me and you will tangle Wand. I enjoyed Frank as a commentator, although it was unprofessional when he ejaculated when Hendo knocked down Shields in round 1 of their snoozefest. I enjoyed Mir as well, even if he did have a proper hard-on for Miguel Torres.

Ken Shamrock was crap, I cannot recall how good Phil Baroni was.

• Paid Members

Frank Shamrock was a shit commentator with a face like a Bo Selecta mask. Do your worst, Jimmy :p Baroni wasn't that bad. Not that good either, but I quite enjoyed his commentating on the whole.

On Dead Mike's point, we probably are being a bit harsh, but there's been times over the last year where Rogan's been so annoying it's detracted from the enjoyment of certain fights. Or in the case of Nog vs Rashad, made a bad fight even worse. You make a good point that they're sitting there for 5 or sometimes even 6 hours, so I can see how you'd burn out. Maybe that's the answer, have a different announce team on the prelims, then bring out a fresh Goldberg and Rogan for the PPV.

I think Ebb touched on the root of the problem. For fans like us, who watch everything, we might tire of Rogan's style easier. It's easier to be nitpicky when you've sat through hours listening to the same bloke. Maybe it's different for fans who just catch the odd show.

I wasn't suggesting they replace him by the way. Just mix it up more. Maybe even add one of the names mentioned earlier as a third man in the booth now and then. And sometimes I'd like to see guest commentators for certain fights, who are relevant to that fight. Like when they had Sean Sherk in the booth for Penn vs Stevenson. It added to the anticipation for Penn vs Sherk to me. So you might have like, Bendo vs Pettis 2 with TJ Grant commentating or Rousey vs Tate 2 with Zingano at the desk. Even Johnson vs Moraga on Saturday, they could whack Louis Gaudinot or whoever in there. It would give newer fans a chance to get more familiar with lesser known fighters, helps promote and generate interest for future fights, freshens up the announcing etc. You wouldn't do it for every main event but it's something I'd like to see them play with now and then.

• Paid Members

i was actually wondering the other day why the UFC don't put the guest commentator in the booth? i always liked that kind of thing, they don't have to do much just offer little insights. Bellator still do it.

Speaking of Bellator, their announce team is quality...i'd love to see Jimmy Smith get a gig with the UFC.

Off topic: Here is one.

Randy Couture, was he good or shit guys? I can honestly say I was indifferent and cannot recall having a opinion either way.

On Topic: Strongly favor Aldo, think he finishes Zombie in the 3rd or 4th after a prolonged beating, Zombie's best chance is to secure a submission in a scramble or hope that Aldo has problems with the weight-cut and it hurts his cardio.

• Paid Members

yeh i can't see anything outside of an Aldo TKO/KO win...Zombie seems massively improved but this one of those instances where i just can't see anything outside of an Aldo win.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've got Aldo to stop Zombie, probably around the 3rd or 4th round. Either that or a fairly comfy decision.

As good as Zombie is, I just don't see a clear way for him to beat Aldo. Unless like said, Aldo has a really shit weight cut or something. Zombie's best chance is probably on the ground but Aldo has really strong takedown defence. On the feet Zombie's dangerous and quite unpredictable, but Aldo is the much more skilled and accurate striker. I can see Aldo blasting him with leg kicks quite a lot as well because Zombie can be quite flat footed.

Whatever happens though, I think it will be exciting. Zombie's the type who will take risks and if he's going to lose he'll go down swinging.

As for Randy's commentary - yeah, I can't really say I have a strong opinion one way or the other. He was decent enough but not great or anything. He always seemed better in those bits they do to camera before main events, where he'd break down the fight and offer his prediction (where he'd often be right), I honestly don't remember anything of note he ever said during the actual fights though.

• Paid Members

We will all beg for Phil Davis to get a title shot when he finishes Machida. Apparently...

"I don't know where I fit in the title contention picture. I just go fight by fight. I really wanted to get a finish in my last fight. If I get a finish here, it'll get me a lot further along than a loss or a win will. After this fight, people will be begging for me to get a title shot. That's it."

Keep dreaming Philip. I like the confidence but if he looks anything like he did in his last fight, I think Machida will have him take a nap.

Aldo is dropping hints at a possible move to 155 after this as well. He's just saying 'we'll see after this fight' at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the jump. He's already beat Edgar, he'll have beat Zombie, he beat Florian and Hominick. The guys coming after Zombie like Swanson and Mendes, he's already beat them decisively and might not want to go over old ground. Is Ricardo Lamas worth him going through another weight cut when there's money to be made at 155 in fresher, bigger fights with the likes of Henderson, Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz, Melendez etc?

like Swanson and Mendes, he's already beat them decisively

C'mon Wand, an 8 second first hit of the fight KO isn't what I'd call decisive - that could happen to anyone. If people call JDS knocking out Cain a fluke (which many still do) then this is even flukier. I don't see why people (general MMA fans, not necessarily here) are so against Aldo/Swanson 2 considering it was also 4 years ago.

At least with Mendes, Aldo had pretty much dominated an entire round before stopping him.

• Paid Members

You've misunderstood me Mr Metal. I'm not against Aldo vs Swanson 2 at all, I'd love to see a rematch, the first fight obviously never got going. I mean from Aldo's point of view - when there's new challenges and a new division to conquer, big fights and potentially more money, and all with an easier weight cut - he might not fancy postponing all that to fight someone he KO'd before Joe Martinez even got down the cage steps to go back to his seat. It would suck for Swanson to not get chance to redeem himself, but I wouldn't blame Aldo for one second for not being too jazzed about hanging around at 145 to rematch a guy he wiped out in 8 seconds.

If you were Aldo and you had already close to cleaned out 145, you've pretty much done everything at the weight, and you have these two options;

1) Beat Zombie and remain at 145. Where these fights await;

*Ricardo Lamas (deserving challenger but not a big name)

*Frankie Edgar (again)

*Cub Swanson (again)

*Chad Mendes (again)

*Err...Clay Guida, Dennis Siver, Charles Oliveira possibly down the line? Good fights but they don't scream money or PPV.

Or 2) beat Zombie and move up for this lot;

*Anthony Pettis (everyone got stiff over this. And if Pettis beats Bendo next month this could be a huge fight for late this year/early next. Maybe Superbowl weekend)

*Benson Henderson (big fight again, new challenge)

*TJ Grant (yeah not a big name but he's turning heads)

*Gilbert Melendez (WEC vs Strikeforce. Bit of a dream fight. Biggish name and again, fresh opponent)

*Plus if they get in contention fights with Cerrone, Diaz, Barboza (imagine that?), Thomson. Awesome.

*Not to mention an outside chance of Aldo vs BJ Penn which could be promoted as a huge fight.

Which would you choose?

Even if he stuck around and beat Lamas, beat Swanson, Edgar and Mendes again, there'd always be someone else coming. He's been wanting to go to 155 for a while, he can't keep putting it off everytime there's a new challenger (or an old one wanting a rematch). He'd never move up if he does that.

And I know you're not saying it but that first fight definitely wasn't a fluke either. Or JDS vs Cain. Anyone who says that is a twat.

I'm with Wand on this. If Aldo decides to stick at 145, then I'm all for Aldo vs Swanson 2, but if Aldo is thinking of moving to 155, I won't be massively disappointed that I've missed out on seeing Aldo vs Swanson 2, when we'll get to see Aldo vs the likes of Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz and Bendo

Also, with regards to Wands post, Aldo vs Barboza. Special attraction match where each fighter takes it in turn to hit the other with a leg kick. Winner is the last man standing.

Archived