UFC 163: 'Aldo vs Zombie'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, while I'm getting all moist at the possibilities of Aldo at 155, there are a couple more fights I'd love to see before he does. I'm torn about when exactly I want him to move up.

Personally, it depends on the Bendo-Pettis result for me. If Pettis wins that fight and Aldo beats Zombie, I think a Pettis vs Aldo - champion vs champion superfight on Superbowl weekend would be fantastic. If Bendo beats Pettis...I can wait for Bendo vs Aldo. I want to see it but I'm not as urgent in my anticipation for it. If Bendo beats Pettis, I'd like to see Aldo vs Swanson 2 or Lamas.

Plenty of options either way which is never a bad thing. Swanson has unquestionably earned another crack with his recent performances.

If I had my way though, if Aldo beats Zombie I hope he waits to see what happens with Bendo vs Pettis before he decides anything. It's only a few weeks after his fight so he won't have to wait long. Pettis at 155 is the fight I want to see most right now I think.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pettis getting injured actually worked out well as we get to see Aldo vs Korean Zombie and the rematch between Henderson and Pettis. I cant believe the fight is this weekend, I forgot this BT Sports thing is now coming into affect. I'm gonna have to get it ordered this week for all the football and UFC shown. I'm no betting expert but I saw the other day that Korean Zombie is 5/1 underdog, which seems really long odds based on what I've seen both fighters produce inside the octagon. Whatever the main event should deliver big time.

• Paid Members

Right then, two days away. Who's everyone picking?

Unlike some recent cards like FOX 8 and FS1 and 164 coming up, I see the top two fights as pretty easy to pick. Of course anything can happen in MMA but I'd be surprised if Aldo and Machida lose this Saturday. Especially Machida. I honestly think Davis has nothing for Lyoto. He's got wrestling and submissions, that's it. And Machida's track record against wrestlers speaks for itself.

Aldo, is just superior to Zombie in my opinion. He's better at striking, offensively and defensively. Zombie might hold an edge in submissions but with Aldo's takedown defence he's probably going to struggle getting the takedown. I just find it hard to see how he wins. But he's always dangerous and he's unpredictable and wild which could either play into Aldo's hands or possibly even throw him off. I like both but I'd love to see Zombie score the upset here.

Going for Aldo and Machida, both by KO though.

Rest of the main card I'm not sure about. I haven't seen Tome. Thiago Santos isn't the Bellator Thiago Santos is he? If not I don't know him either. And Thales Leites I haven't seen fight in years. I'll be picking these fights blind really. I hope John Lineker picks up another win though, he's a little beast. Probably my favourite flyweight to watch and in a shallow division, he's probably one more impressive stoppage away from a title shot.

I'm still rooting for Zombie to win this one, Whilst Aldo does have good takedown defence and better footwork. I do think Zombie has a bit more power and some great submission skills, I could honestly see Zombie getting the upset.

He may have a bit more natural power, but Aldo's strikes are much more accurate and refined with his strikes, so his opponents feel the brunt of them more than Zombie's strikes.

Only way I see Zombie winning is by sub, if Aldo slows down in the middle/late rounds.

Isn't Aldo meant to be a whizz on the ground? I know pretty much all Brazilians and Rashad Evans are BJJ black belts but I thought Aldo's was legitimate? In his WEC career they were saying his ground game is better than his stand up!

Can't see anything other than Aldo dominating with leg kicks and probably finishing it within 3 rounds. Zombie is tough though so it'll be a fun fight.

Machida will probably have an easy nights work and I can see him stopping Davis in the first round.

And I'm picking Watson to pull off the upset. :thumbsup:

Isn't Aldo meant to be a whizz on the ground?

He probably is, but if he gets tired it may mean less and Zombie in theory could take advantage with his nifty subs.

It is highly unlikely that Zombie will get a sniff in my view, and like most I think Also will polish him of in the middle rounds.

• Paid Members
Isn't Aldo meant to be a whizz on the ground? I know pretty much all Brazilians and Rashad Evans are BJJ black belts but I thought Aldo's was legitimate? In his WEC career they were saying his ground game is better than his stand up!

Yes. Aldo's BJJ is said to be excellent. I know the Brazilian camps always say that but in the case of Aldo it's legitimate. Nova Uniao is one of the best camps on the planet for BJJ. BJ Penn can't speak highly enough of the team in his book and he credits Andre Pederneiras for taking his ground game to the next level after he left Ralph Gracie's school.

We haven't seen a lot of his BJJ in MMA so it's hard to know if he's a submission guy or more of a defensive BJJ guy, but the flashes we've seen of his ground game, he pretty much did what he wanted with Kenny Florian as I recall. And Florian is no joke himself. He easily put Urijah Faber in the mounted crucifix as well. He's definitely better than he's let us see on the ground. He did get submitted early in his career but he's a much more polished fighter now.

In straight BJJ - still as a brown belt, Aldo beat black belt and four time world Jiu-Jitsu champion Rubens Cabrinha twice. He also beat Bruno Frazatto, Wilson Reis and Leandro Martins who were all top quality grapplers.

I think we're all getting a bit carried away on Zombie's ground game. It's easy to when you think back to that twister on Leonard Garcia and the D'Arce he beat Poirier with. Catching Aldo will be a much more difficult task. Even if Aldo fades later, I'm sure he'll have enough experience and skill to simply defend himself if need be. Not saying Zombie can't catch him, but chances aren't good IMO.

And I'm picking Watson to pull off the upset. :thumbsup:

I don't what it is but I've never really liked Watson. Exciting fighter and tough as nails, but he seems a bit of a dick I think. I like pretty much all the UK fighters, not because they're British I just like them, but I've never really warmed to Watson. At least he's not James McSweeney though.

Okay, lets say in theory that Aldo struggles with the weight cut and the fight goes like the Hominick fight. I think it is rational if Zombie was in Hominick's shoes that night that he would have a reasonable chance to sub Aldo, not on pure technique but just by default of being fresher. Aldo maybe better on the ground in a straight contest, but cardio could distort that.

Again, I am debating for something that has a very slim chance of happening as I do not see Zombie surviving past the 3rd. But if a few circumstances go Zombie's way he may have a sniff. It is possible just not very probable.

Aldo is getting older and will struggle with his weight cut more and more, everyone expects him to go to 155lbs in the next few years.

I am also pretty indifferent to Watson.

• Paid Members

True but who's to say Zombie will remain fresh in the championship rounds? If you look at his fights he doesn't always have the best gas tank and he's coming off a long layoff. Even the Poirier fight, he looked spent in the third, hardly did anything, lowered his hands, chin up, mouth open. He got a second wind in the 4th but he might not get the chance with Aldo.

Aldo's has had cardio problems before but it's a bit overblown I think. He didn't gas against Edgar in his last fight, despite Rogan insisting he was on the verge of keeling over. Yeah, he slowed down but he wasn't fucked or anything. He didn't gas against Florian. He's actually supposed to have dropped a bit of muscle in recent fights to make the cut easier, think he made that change after the Hominick fight where he admitted he had a shit weight cut. The weight cut will get harder the older he gets but it's not like he's old either, he's only 26. Zombie is only a few months younger.

I could see Zombie possibly catching Aldo off guard with some wacky flying knee or spinning backfist or something, and locking up a sub while Aldo is rocked. But how often have we even seen Aldo hit with clean shots? It's a big ask for the Zombie. If this fight came last summer I'd like his chances a little better. He was on a roll and had some real momentum. But who knows how he'll be after over a year out. And remember he was supposed to fight Lamas in May, there's always the risk he might have overtrained. Aldo was always scheduled for August so his condition should be peaking perfectly. And its in Aldo's back yard. All the advantages lie with Aldo. If Zombie somehow pulls it off, it will be a huge huge accomplishment.

Oh and Aldo didn't beat Wilson Reis in BJJ, my mistake, but Reis said Aldo gave him hell.

I would maybe expect Aldo to tire more with Zombie, not because of Zombie setting a higher pace than Edgar but I would expect Aldo to be less conservative and more gung ho due to the opening I expect Zombie to leave (which is why I expect Aldo to win early) But if Zombie can survive, it could get a bIt interesting.

Decent point, I forgot Zombie did tire before getting a second wind with Poirier. I also agree it was not like he was Tito Ortiz or Mark Coleman levels of cardio when facing Edgar.

Wilson Reis was meant to be the ace in the hole for Elite XC at one time if I recall right, I take it his career did not pan out.

• Paid Members

Reis did alright in Bellator. One of his fights with Patricio Pitbull was really good, but he always lost to the top guys. Dantas knocked him out and Pitbull beat him twice. Just had a look at his wikipedia page and he's on a 4 fight winning streak with 3 submissions. Maybe one of the top companies will take another look at him. He hasn't fought since December though.

Good points on Aldo vs Zombie. Whatever happens I think it will be a crowd pleaser. As you say, Aldo might be more aggressive, with Zombie you almost have to be I suppose. Plus it's in Brazil. Can't wait.

I'm really looking forward to this documentary they're showing on BT Sport before 163 kicks off as well.

Archived