Card Subject To Change

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Funny you mention Steamer, the day he handed in his notice in November 1991 (when he hadnt lost on tv yet) they asked him to film losses to IRS and Undertaker for later broadcast. He refused, so they sacked him. Which was fine by him, since it meant he could rock up on Clash of the Champions on the 19th and get his career back on track. I'd take feuding with Ravishing Rick over Skinner any day of the week.

I'd be interested in hearing what ideas they had for Warrior though. Some potential programmes would have been great imo v Flair, Razor, Yoko, Narcissist....

From the day he won the belt, my mate Bret was keen on wrestling him at 'Mania IX and was upset that this went up in smoke in addition to Jim costing Davey Boy his job.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The best part of the Steamboat story is that he was fine with losing the matches, but Vince asked him to go out on a stretcher both times. He was even OK with doing a stretcher job in the second match but refused to do it in both matches because he thought it would look ridiculous to the live audience.

• Paid Members

Doing a stretcher job to IRS would have looked stupid. He hardly screamed badass, did he?

Has anyone mentioned Uncensored 96 yet? Announced as Luger/Sting v Road Warriors but got changed when Luger was booked for the Doomsday Cage, and Sting went with Booker T who volunteered to sub against the Roadies instead. I'd sack off a beating from the LOD for a chance to beat up Hogan too.

• Paid Members
Also touched upon earlier Austin against Eddie at King of the Ring and Austin vs Brock on Raw, neither happening when Austin fucked off. What were the plans here going forward with Eddie and surely they'd have had an Austin Brock rematch in mind?

I think it might have led to Austin vs Benoit. Benoit was about due to return from his long layoff with the neck injury and he came back as Eddie's mate again on TV that summer. Plus the fact that the way it was presented on TV, Benoit was supposed to have hurt his neck in the KOTR 2001 3 way with Austin and Jericho wasn't he? So it would be a natural feud I suppose.

Austin probably saw that as another step down though. He'd already spent the first bit of 2002 losing to Jericho and feuding with Flair in the mid card. A potential run with Eddie and Benoit and losing to Brock on Raw must've seemed like a big demotion to him at the time considering he was the man 12 months earlier. That plus he was physically knackered and minted anyway, it's easy to see why he fucked off if he could.

So yeah, I think Austin vs Eddie would have led to Austin vs Benoit at Summerslam maybe. Fuck knows after that though.

Finally, Undertaker vs Nailz. There was definite plans for this, they had an intense staredown on tv and I'm sure I remember it being on the cover of WWF magazine too. Obviously all went out the window when Vince decided he fancied sexy Nailz and touched him up. Or did that only come about once he'd gone? What was the whole deal there, when was Undertaker vs Nailz supposed to take place?

You're definitely right, as I remember that magazine too, and even at the time it struck me as being extremely strange, as he had been comprehensively beaten by BossMan, whose stock was clearly well below Taker's.

You both remember right...

wwfmagazine.jpg

I'd be interested in hearing what ideas they had for Warrior though. Some potential programmes would have been great imo v Flair, Razor, Yoko, Narcissist....

From the day he won the belt, my mate Bret was keen on wrestling him at 'Mania IX and was upset that this went up in smoke in addition to Jim costing Davey Boy his job.

Warrior vs Bret at Mania IX? Was there ever any serious discussion about that? I'd have quite liked to see it actually. Warrior was capable of great matches when he had the right opponent who could bump around for him and make him look like a monster. Rude and Savage did it perfectly and I think a match with Bret might have been something similar.

I have heard of the Bret-Warrior stuff before, but I reckon at most it was just some bullshit Vince told Bret. There's no way Warrior was agreeing to lose to him. They could've done another fuck finish like Warrior's match at SummerSlam, but doing that twice in a row for Warrior's big title matches seems a bit unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just remembered, after talking about this subject with a friend, that Dean Malenko Vs Chris Benoit was apparently on the cards for the second ECW one night stand event. This was to be an Eddie Guerrero tribute match, and it was reported that Dean had been training to get back into shape for the match.

It was never officially announced, and was reportedly dropped months before the event although I can't remember the official reason though.

• Paid Members
Wasn't Benoit injured at some point around then? My memory isn't great..

Honestly, I cant remember either, I just remember it was being spoke about and Dean getting back in training for it, before it was dropped for some reason. Maybe if Benoit was injured, that was why?

Archived