The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bellator average for viewership appears to be in the neighbourhood of 750,000, Kong and Joe Warren do consistently strong numbers, usually in the higher end of that range. Lawal and Jackson did a big number too with 907,000 viewers. The bottom for Bellator is around 500,000 viewers; 176 (Carvalho vs. Manhoef 2) did 483,000 whilst 177 (Dantas vs. Higo) did 522,000.

• Paid Members

Bellator's ratings a bit like TNA's really, there's a few names on there that really spike the ratings (no pun intended) but usually it never really seems to have much of a pattern to it. Just looking at it and Julia Budd/Marlos Coenen drew 1.1million viewers which is considerably higher than several other shows with bigger names in the main event.

• Paid Members

Thanks.

I assume ratings haven't really increased massively since Coker came in and started spending more money?

Be interesting to see how many people buy their PPV. We've seen with TNA on Spike, that drawing a consistent audience on telly doesn't mean people are willing to buy your product.

11 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Thanks.

I assume ratings haven't really increased massively since Coker came in and started spending more money?

They haven't increased massively, but they appear to have risen somewhat. They certainly look more steady and they've had more of the big peaks. I'm going through the Bellator ratings for the past couple of years, putting them all together, and I might post the results because they make for interesting reading. For example, Cheick Kongo does even better than I thought. His fight with Alexander Volkov at 139 averaged 940,000 viewers and actually peaked at just under a million. The average for that show was 764,000 viewers, so that's a big increase Kongo drew.

• Paid Members

Chuck Liddell's got himself into phenomenal shape. 

Aki7Z.jpg 

That's from April. 

John Hackleman then went on Anik and Florian's podcast and fuelled some rumours of Chuck making a comeback but Chuck's laughed that off as Hack being on the windup. He did say he'd fight again if he was offered crazy money but that he doubts it'll happen. He got himself in such good shape to film a TV commercial or some bollocks apparently. 

I don't want him to come out of retirement. He walked away at the right time - when it was clear he couldn't take the punches anymore but before it did him serious damage. 

If he was ever going to come back though, I'd honestly rather see him go to Bellator because at this point I'd only be interested in him fighting those names who are on the closing stretch of their careers. Liddell vs Sonnen, Fedor or a rematch with Wanderlei would be fun even in 2017. He should stay retired but I can't lie and say I wouldn't get into those fights. A UFC return does nothing for me really though, other than the novelty of 'Chuck Liddell is back in the UFC'. He'd get destroyed by the top guys and there's nobody below that who I'd be particularly into seeing him fight. 

They usually do less than the Cops episode that is usually on before it unless it's a big name fight.

Spike will be rebranded again next year again to the Paramount channel and they will be showing drama's presumably wanting to be more like AMC & FX, but Friday and Saturday nights aren't usually big TV nights in the US.

• Paid Members

Shit me, Helwani says the UFC want to do JDS vs Francis Ngannou on the September PPV. Poor Junior. I know Ngannou has a lot to prove still but, poor Junior. Even if he wins he's probably losing more brain cells in this one. 

Sad to say but this pretty much shows the UFC see JDS as not much more than a name and ex champ to feed to the up and coming beasts of the division. Nothing wrong with that. Prize fighting is a cut-throat, dog eat dog game. But it's a shame to see it happening to someone like JDS.

I like Ngannou a lot though. And it's clearly a better thing for the division if he does what the UFC clearly want and batters Junior. It'll be sad to see though.

If JDS wins, and I think it'd be nuts to count him out, all it does is eliminate an exciting potential contender in a division severely lacking them. But if Ngannou wins, instant title contender. 

EDIT - oh yeah, the UFC Sweden prelims are underway on BT Sports 2 now. So stay off twitter and shit if you're not watching live.

• Paid Members

i dont really like that booking. The UFC probably see it as if Ngannou wins the UFC have a locked in new contender, and if Junior wins it sets up a JDS/Miocic rubber match which no one really wants to see but could be justified if he beats Ngannou.

• Paid Members

IDK, the memory of Yair getting smashed back down the rankings by Frankie is still fresh.

This is a similar scenario. The UFC clearly are looking to strap a rocket to Ngannou and, similar to Frankie, are of the opinion it's the easiest match out of all the contenders. Absolute shitter for the UFC if Junior wins - the match makers need to have a word.

Heavyweights have looked finished several times , I wanted Arlovski to retire in 2009, especially after Kharatonov easily beat him but he bounced back and nearly got himself a UFC title shot, Cro Cop looked finished several times but still had some decent wins, same with Mark Hunt went on a massive losing streak, the UFC didn't want him but he ended up getting an interim title shot.

Heavyweights just hit hard , especially with the small gloves, it's pretty easy to knock your opponent out if you hit them right.

• Paid Members

For those who missed it, Brandon Vera has kicked "trifling cunt" Angela 'Vinegar Tits' Magana out of the Alliance MMA camp. 

I was gonna leave this alone....,but this trifling Cunt is still at it. She kinda embodies what's wrong with the world today... super entitled, whines n Cries about everything, IG ass famous, and no other skills whatsoever, pretty worthless. Bitch you got your card pulled..... for "cyber bullying" someone you thought you'd never run into. Super drama Queen........Do me a favor and keep your ass away from my Alliance MMA. I super feel like a bully for posting this, but, she's a prime example of the world gone to shit, crybaby ass, the only positive thing about it is she isn't a guy..... (fuck) there's plenty of them as well. P.S. There's a reason why No One is standing up for u, not your homegirls, training partners, even fighters at the summit. You deserved it..Also, your hospital pics are shit for a case since you went to a #snoopdogg concert that very same evening. If this burns any of y'all and wanna talk about it... I'm in Guam now and back to PH next week. Come on out. 

Never been a fan of Vera but that's probably the best thing he's ever done in his career. 

Funny how Magana gets punched in the face and still finds a way to come out of it as the villain. Vera's spot on as well, you just know that after trolling Cyborg online she never ever expected to actually run into Cyborg in real life. Little twat. 

She's nowhere near as fit as she thinks she is either. I've seen the nudes. 

• Paid Members

Apparently she's deleted her Instagram. Don't know about twitter. I think that's for the best. She seriously needs to sort herself out. I'm sure I remember hearing she had a kid/kids as well. It's no way to be carrying on, is it? Cyber bullying and having pictures of your arse and mot out there. Her kids must be loving school right about now.

Archived