IMPACT Wrestling Discussion 28th June 2012 **SPOILERS**

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Probably the best Impact since it went live. A really good show filled with great matches and good interviews. Very little bad on the show. One thing about Impact these days, you get some quality matches on every episode. Anderson and RVD kicked the show off. It might not seem like much, but anyone who witnessed their matches on PPV last year will wipe their brow when this match was over. It was a decent TV match, so that was canny. Aries and Roode had a cracking interview segment. They both come across as big time stars in this format. They both look great and can both go on the microphone. Aries especially has came a long way in the last year. He looks so confident at the minute. We also found out a tournament featuring old and new X Division wrestlers will start tonight and finish at the PPV. In the back, Kaz and Daniels are having a tiff, because Kaz didn't know there was a reasonable explanation for the Dixie/AJ thing. He's gutted he's lost his best friend and all that. Is it a swerve?

Then the first match in the X Division tournament was up. Sonjay Dutt is back and he wrestled Jigsaw. Two names which was a bit of a tea spitter. Wasn't expecting these two. I always hated Sonjay Dutt. Always thought he was terrible, but he was bloody good here. Super fast and he looks physically bigger than he was before. He finished Jigsaw off was a moonsault double foot stomp (which looked nasty). As matches go, it was typical 2003 TNA. Expect without Nikita Koloff and Bob Armstrong.

Bully Ray and Samoa Joe wrestled next, and they had a class match which the crowd were super into. Just a really, really good PPV quality match and quite long TV match. Samoa Joe is back on form which is good to see after a good 3 years of doing fuck all. Joe won with the choke after Joseph Park slapped Bully in the face. Joseph then got on the microphone and challenged Bully to a match in two weeks. Joseph told him "I'm bringing the fight to you this time", so Christ knows what this nutter is up to. Joseph Park is probably the most over man on the show. They just love him.

Next up, Madison Rayne whispered to Garrett Bischoff who she fancied. She asked him "what's he like". Garrett said "good luck with that". I so hope it's Eric Bischoff. Sleezy Eric back on Impact would be perfect for this show right now. Although if it was Bischoff, I'm sure Garrett's response would have been "he'd split you in two, love".

Sabian from CZW and Scorpio Sky wrestled in the X tournament. I only know that because I Googled them. They were just two black blokes in shit wrestling attire. It didn't last long, but it was alright. If you enjoyed seeing two new cruiserweights on Nitro with no background, you'll like it. The one with the afro won (?). He was far better than the other bloke to be fair. Hogan announced that next week its James Storm vs Jeff Hardy in the main event. The Hulkster also said something about the lads who attacked Sting 'didn't work for the company'.

The Gut Check thing was next on the cards. Dillkid probably got a bit confused here because there was a woman in the same ring as a bloke for a few minutes. Because you can't slag off a cancer victim, she got through. They were much nicer than they usually are. You could tell Brother Love was desperate to say "the overbites a bit much, pet", but they just pissed through it this week. Fair play to her as well. She reacted like she just got six numbers on the lottery when she got a contract. But GUESS WHAT HAPPENED NEXT ... Joey Ryan turned up doing the "Raven doesn't work here? Why is he here?" gimmick. And Taz got in his face and Ryan was begging Taz to hit him. Taz might actually have a match with him, it this wasn't a shoot, brother.

The main event was Kaz and Daniels vs Angle and AJ. Although it was a step down from the PPV match, it was still a good TV main event. Kaz and Daniels won the titles, when Kaz whacked AJ Styles with a chair. At the end of the match, Daniels announced to the world that infact Clare (the bird from last week) was telling the truth, but not the whole truth. And the father of Clare's unborn child is ... AJ STYLES. The show faded to black with Dixie upset and Daniels LOLing all the way. It was a better reveal than last week. What I like about AJ Styles is that unlike CM Punk, Kane and Daniel Bryan, Styles never messed about. He just found some pill head, got Dixie to pay for her rehab and then got her up the stick, like a real man would.

So that was Impact. Things happened. One thing you can't say about Impact is that its boring. The matches were great and some of the angles left more questions than answers. What more do you want?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Good review, Ian. Sounds top-notch, am definitely looking forward to seeing it on Sunday. Really glad to hear Joey Ryan's back (never thought I'd ever say that) - gotta bring the sleaze.

Have to add that I was actually there walking amongst the mutants, live in person, at the Impact tapings. It's something every self-respecting wrestling fan has to do at one point in their lives. It was AMAZING. A few worthwhile notes:

--- Anderson is so ridiculously over, despite being absolutely useless. RVD is not.

--- Sonjay Dutt and Jigsaw was alright, but BLK Jeez/Scorpio Sky was good fun.

--- Earl Hebner nearly pulled Christy Hemme, thanks to the crowd willing him on.

--- Bully Ray nearly incited a riot and is a god amongst men. Him and Joe had an excellent match.

--- We all know these things aren't a shoot, but when Ryan turned up, the crowd lost their shit.

--- Daniels and Kaz really excelled themselves in bringing the heat.

--- WCW have a plaque on the wall of the Impact Zone to commemorate their Pro and Worldwide tapings.

--- Abyss barbed wire boards are on display at the merch stand, as is Jarrett's guitar.

--- When AJ was revealed to be the father, a huge JERR-EE! JERR-EE! JERR-EE! chant broke out in a rare bout of humour from the Impact Zone.

--- I was the only person who cheered for Magnus during Xplosion.

I had a blast. You all must go.

That was a bloody fine show, I'm glad that they managed to salvage the AJ/Kaz/Dixie/Daniels feud after last week's debacle, and there was some good, honest TV 'rasslin.

It was great to see Sonjay Dutt back, it was inevitable really after his stint on Ring Ka King, where he was a cornerstone. He's really improved a lot since his last TNA stint. A fun, spotty match with Rubix, which is a better name than Jigsaw. The other X-Div match wasn't nearly as good, but I liked the promo the one with the afro cut after the match. I doubt we'll be seeing much of those two.

Bully Vs. Joe was class, and a Joe Park appearance is never a bad thing.

The Gut Check bit was good, she was just as good as any of the other girls and she's quite likeable, so giving her a contract was the right decision and Joey Ryan's little invasion injected a little bit of excitement.

AJ, Angle, Kaz and Daniels could probably have good matches together while asleep. I used the hate Daniels for all the wrong reasons, but now I hate him for all the right reasons, he's so good at being a right nobhead and his matches have been a hell of a lot less 'spot/nosell/spot/nosell/finish/finish/finish' in recent months.

Austin Aires is the man right now and the match at Destination X with Booby Roode should be a cracker.

Cracking episode.

I really can't wait for Joseph Park vs. Bully Ray 2. I love Joseph, he's just brilliant. X-Division tournament was a cracker, I hope PAC turns up next week it's about time he went prime time. I fell for the Kazarian swerve, bastard! Joey Ryan interrupting the gut check segment had me on the edge of my seat, can't wait to see where this goes from here it can't be a 5 second choke like Jerry Lawler at ONS2 (which im positive was his last match) so it's going to be interesting.

And who the hell attacked Sting? They really are doing a belter of a job to keep me tuning in. Hell I wake up early to watch this on a Friday morning.

• Paid Members

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Just quality TV from start to finish.

Only having 2 BFG series matches on the show made them feel important and not over-done. They got away with it last week because it was OFN and people were chucking challenges out. This week they just stuck two really good matches on (Ray vs Joe as Ian pointed out was PPV quality) and built up next week with Storm vs Hardy.

The stuff with AJ/Dixie/Daniels, etc was for some reason not as bad this week even though it was arguably the same sort of content. Whoever that Claire is still sucks as an actress, but I think they did a good job here by making the story more focused on Kaz and Daniels as opposed to Dixie and AJ. Now it's became a proper wrestling storyline involving the talent as opposed to another one involving an authority figure.

Brooke Hogan was less painful this week, she looks a bit more comfortable speaking now.

Enjoyed the two X Division matches, though I'd rather have had the spotty guy go through in the second match, though both were quite bland in their own ways so it doesn't matter. Dutt vs Rubix was alright, Dutt was the right man to go over. Rubix was super thin.

But yeah, Impact is on fire lately.

The Joey Ryan thing is a bit of a bold move. Gut Check is only three weeks in and the fact Joey Ryan is showing up already, proves that it doesn't really matter if you get a yes or a no in Gut Check. They pass it off as being a 'reality moment' where the competitor truly finds out if they have a contract or not right there in the ring....yet if Joey Ryan wasn't supposed to do that they'd have cut away instantly and Taz wouldn't have reacted in that way.

So in one way it undermines the Gut Check concept, but on the other it shows that they are willing to do things with those who are voted no.

Despite that one niggle from me, it was a solid solid show. Usually TNA throws some Eric Young/ODB shit in there as if to try make everything feel important but ultimately it just adds more weight to the show being poor. Yet this week you know what was vitally important and what wasn't. Everything felt like it was in its place. The World title, BFG Series AJ/Daniels, X Division qualifiers and then the Gut Check. There was nothing out of place, even backstage segment wise...everything clicked and didn't seem added just for the hell of it. Very rare on a live show.

The Joey Ryan thing is a bit of a bold move. Gut Check is only three weeks in and the fact Joey Ryan is showing up already, proves that it doesn't really matter if you get a yes or a no in Gut Check. They pass it off as being a 'reality moment' where the competitor truly finds out if they have a contract or not right there in the ring....yet if Joey Ryan wasn't supposed to do that they'd have cut away instantly and Taz wouldn't have reacted in that way.

So in one way it undermines the Gut Check concept, but on the other it shows that they are willing to do things with those who are voted no.

Despite that one niggle from me, it was a solid solid show. Usually TNA throws some Eric Young/ODB shit in there as if to try make everything feel important but ultimately it just adds more weight to the show being poor. Yet this week you know what was vitally important and what wasn't. Everything felt like it was in its place. The World title, BFG Series AJ/Daniels, X Division qualifiers and then the Gut Check. There was nothing out of place, even backstage segment wise...everything clicked and didn't seem added just for the hell of it. Very rare on a live show.

I see what you mean but if you think about any reality show such as Tough Enough or even X-Factor It's never about the winner. I understand this is a segment but the concept still stands. Personally I don't think he's got a contract, I'd imagine he's just gonna get a few paid dates to have a short feud with Taz because of the heat in the original segment. It totally makes sense to me for them to take advantage of the opportunity.

What more do you want?

The TV Title being defended, perhaps?

Bully/Joe was great, i love a good big man match when done right.

I never want to see Styles/Daniels again though, the knock on effect is that just like the WWE the tag belts are going to be a complete after thought at the next PPV.

Anyone notice Rashad Cameron was one of the guys Ryback squashed on last weeks smackdown? Good thing they made him look different, though. Tazz had a massive stiffy for the guy for whatever reason. I did kind of like his little promo at the end, that made me believe him a little. Putting him next to Christy Hemme was a mistake too, he just looks like a midget.

Sonjay Dutt for X-Division Champion - but only on the basis that he puts in a performance like he did last night, on a consistent basis. They could do a lot worse than hiring Rubix too.

I really, really hope next week Chris Sabin isnt announcing his retirement.

Anyway, quality show.

Please sort out RVD's music. Good opening match, I'm really turning the corner with Anderson, hes been pretty decent recently, and seems to have lost his gut and is performing in the ring. You can tell he loves working with the crowd.

Samoa Joe back to his best? I actually thought like a fan during this Impact, once he locked in his finisher I was thinking "thats 10 points" so Impact is getting me excited! That match with Bully Ray was great TV. Oh and Joe Park, wow. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand. What a man.

Aries and Roode was great, Roodes such a knob and Aries coming up short at Destination X will be great for his character.

I really liked Sonjay Dutt too, that was the only time i've ever cared for him. He had purpose and desire and I cant wait to see him at Destination X. That moonsault stomp was brutal. I fancy seeing more of Rubix/Jigsaw in the big time.

The other X-Division match wasnt quite as good but it featured two young guys I'd be happy to see more of, Rashad Cameron seemed cool and Mason Andrews was okay. Colourful tights all round.

Joey Ryan was class, Im loving this storyline. Glad Taelor Hendrix got a contract too.

Hogan was really good, Im itching to see who attacked Sting and the keep stringing me along so well...It is a big deal, but Hogan acting all cool about it is great.

Main Event was brilliant. Perhaps Kazarian is the phenomenal one sucking us all into that. The look when Daniels tags him in just before Angle throws him into the ring was brilliant. The storyline is mental and Claire is shit but I cant help but be intriuged by it all.

They've definitely streamlined the show. I mean Crimson hasnt been seen since his loss to Storm. No Devon this week. Garrett Bischoff is kept to a minimum and there is no Eric Young or ODB so maybe some people are getting left behind but its definitely for the best.

Let the Summer of Impact continue! (and beyond the Summer) Counting down the hours until next weeks show.

Brilliant show from start to finish.

Anderson/RVD was a decent match and the best match they've had. It's good to see the two have stepped it up in the ring lately as their performances around 2010 were really shit and hard to forget about it (Remember that horrible 4 way at Victory Road 2010?, Awful).

Austin Aries really is brilliant. It feels so fresh to see him in the level where he is at and especially feuding with the likes of Roode. Props to both men has to be said they really are two of the best in the business at the moment. I remember last year, a few months before he returned to TNA thinking 'Fuck Austin Starr was so good I wish TNA did something with him'. Then now we've got him in a PPV main event for the title. Talking about the titles in TNA, I really like the way TNA has made the X-Title and WHC seem important. It actually feels like a big deal with who ever has those two belts.

Sonjay Dutt Vs Rubix was a nice little match. I'm a fan of both and Dutt really stood out during his last run with TNA and hopefully they decide to use him more this time. Dutts performance was outstanding aswell. I like Jigsaw but I wasn't too impressed with his performance I was hoping he would have been able to show off abit more. Anybody know is Jigsaw is staying around or if it was a one night deal? Also with there being 2 other matches next week my mind will be everywhere thinking who the other 4 guys will be. Who could be involved.. Little Petey? Jack Evans? Pac? Elix Skipper? Bentley?

Samoa Joe/Bully Ray was a really good big man match. Joe has been on fire lately and Bully Ray is just excellent. Joseph Park was great again and such a likable babyface. I am really looking forward to Ray/Park #2.

The second X-Division match was alright with some nice spots. I thought that Rashad Cameron cut a really good promo at the end of the match. I thought the guy who wasn't Rashad Cameron was more exciting in the ring though and especially that crazy dive he did out of the ring.

I thought the show was going to take a turn for the worse when Garrett Bischoff came on screen with Madison Rayne. I'm still interested in the angle with her, I hope she's getting wet over Easy E. So relieved Garrett wasn't her crush, wasn't in a match and appereance was kept to a minimum.

The Gut Check segment is really well done too. I like how they don't hide the business side in the segment they do before they come out going on about passion, being green, egos and paying to see the performer. It just makes it feel all the more real. As for the actual segment I thought it was good. Joey Ryan coming out made perfect sense and I was glad to see him. Glad Taelor Hendrix got a contract her reaction was priceless.

The Main Event was the icing on the cake for the show. Kazarian and Daniels really have gone from being dull to being excellent. Who would have thought Kazarian would have fooled us after all that? Brilliant television. You can't beat a solid tag match aswell (Unless Teddy Long is GM, holla!) and especially with the likes of Angle/AJ.

Top notch show.

• Paid Members
I really, really hope next week Chris Sabin isn't announcing his retirement.

I can't see past that to be honest. He just spent a year on the shelf. When he came back, it was noticeable he'd lost his bottle. The Chris Sabin of 18 months ago was superfast and filled with bumps all over the shop. Now he's probably out for another year. Maybe he's just fed up. He's had to harsh injuries, and he's lost his tag team partner and his spot as one of the most over acts on the card. It all adds up that he's probably jacking it in.

It would be good to see him back, but judging by recent performances, the old Chris Sabin looks long gone anyway. If he is retiring, I hope TNA gives him a nice little send off. Even if its the roster giving him a round of applause or something. I'm not asking for a Flair like ceremony. Just a tip of the hat to a loyal servant. It would be a shame to see him say "I'm retiring, lads" and him just pissing tears before moving on to AJ's baby angle.

Archived