Nick James

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like it to be...

Ric Flair

William Regal

Dusty Rhodes (slim chance I know)

Kevin Nash (and see a real life version of the WWE 12 RTWM storyline JOKE)

Paul Heyman

Stephanie McMahon

ORRRR

TODD PETTENGILL!!

After last night we'd better hope Vickie doesn't go anywhere near such a role again.

Do away with the whole GM concept, or have somebody who's just going to make the matches and get the fuck out of there. The whole GM character has gotten too boring.

Loved Vickie's initial GM run on SmackDown! (after an awful start), hated her GM run on Raw in 2009, undecided on some of the stuff since but you are right - we've seen it all before.

The Heyman explanation sounds the most likely and does make storyline sense. He has played the heel GM before and whilst I quite liked it and it would guarantee some good interviews it isn't something I particularly want to see again I just think it would end up with him as yet another 'Heel Authority Figure who tries to stack the odds against Cena'.

Nah, Edge and HBK would both be awful. Michaels is hammy as hell unless he's doing something super-serious, and Edge is hammy as hell especially when he's doing something super-serious. I vote Regal.

I actually think HBK is pretty bad at super-serious stuff. Every bit as unintentionally amusing as Edge. This year's WM being an example. :sly:

Agree about Edge. That said, and this is just a guess on my part but I imagine if it were him Edge wouldn't be doing super-serious as much as an updated version of the Commissioner Foley gimmick. Could see him having fun in that role, actually. However...

I would absolutely love the GM angle to be scrapped completely. It's become such a lazy booking tool and unfortunately also seemingly been accepted as a requirement in wrestling, which it doesn't have to be. I actually liked the Anon. GM take on things over any other recent angles with it, mostly because it was a different take and was a lot more open with possibilities, not being restricted to the heel GM stuff. And Cena working against heel authority always ends up being shit and is a total waste.

That is the correct answer.

The Heel Authority Figure gimmick got old a decade ago.

Sure for all the complaining since there have been some exceptions since (even in the last year Big Johnny ended up being better than expected, I liked the build to Team Johnny vs Team Teddy, etc., etc.) but the concept itself has been done so often that I'd rather see a show without a bunch of segments involving the GM/President as a regular character.

I think Raw would still work just fine if the matches just happened with no heel GM there to "stack the odds" against the faces and get humiliated every other week or babyface GM there to "punish" the bad guys by making them face some babyface monster.

WWF had the Championship Committee that Monsoon and Ventura would talk about granting future title shots, WCW had its Board of Directors who would make rulings all the time but you didn't actually need to see them doing there job.

The Tunney role worked because he wasn't on TV every week (who would have wanted to see that?) so it made his announcements feel important. Neither did Monsoon. Same in WCW with Jim Herd, Kip Frey, Nick Bockwinkel, even in the Monday Night War era with J.J. Dillon - they would make announcements from time to time but mostly stay out of the way. Bill Watts probably got the most face time of any WCW Executive in his short time there and... well I don't think anyone would argue that The Cowboy isn't one of a better promos of all time.

Yeah, times have changed and the current audience wouldn't except a squash and promo driven show with the odd angle thrown in because they star versus star matches with backstage skits, celebrity appearances, etc. but I still don't think having a GM is an integral part of that.

WWE seemed to think so as well for a while since I remember reading the Guest Host thing (and later the laptop) was because they didn't like any of the names suggested for the role but couldn't do the show without it. It just seemed like even McMahon felt the gimmick had been played out which is why we had the computer for so long.

If there must be one then Michael P.S. Hayes, Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair are the only ones I'd have any interest in and even then only short term.

Or bring in Bob Armstrong.

Archived