Best matches discussion from WWECW

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Definitely. WWECW pisses all over Heyman's shit ECW. Especially when the WWE ECW really hit it's stride in about 2008 or so. ECW losers gotten rid of, and it became the best wrestling show on TV. No coincidence.

I reiterate my previous statement:

Number 1 is quite obvious really:

Christian vs. Jack Swagger - Backlash 2009

I totally agree that new ECW was belting though, trying to think of other matches. Punk/Nitro from NOC 2007? That RVD/Sabu ladder match? That Shelton/Christian ladder match?

• Paid Members
I reiterate my previous statement:

Number 1 is quite obvious really:

Christian vs. Jack Swagger - Backlash 2009

I totally agree that new ECW was belting though, trying to think of other matches. Punk/Nitro from NOC 2007? That RVD/Sabu ladder match? That Shelton/Christian ladder match?

Punk v Morrison (when Punk won the title at last) would probably be on there, as well as Ric Flair v The Big Show. That match where Elijah Burke put Sabu through a table with the Elijah Express was great fun (and it's always funny to see Sabu get twatted like that).

That RVD / Sabu match was a right mess, though, wasn't it? Didn't they botch a million things in about 10 minutes?

• Paid Members

Show vs Flair was fucking awesome and would be my pick for the best match of WWECW. Henry vs Matt Hardy, Henry vs Finlay and the Sheamus vs Goldust street fight would be up there as well.

That RVD/Sabu ladder match was horrible, it was reportedly heavily edited to make tv too, so God knows how bad it was live.

Punk v Morrison (when Punk won the title at last) would probably be on there, as well as Ric Flair v The Big Show. That match where Elijah Burke put Sabu through a table with the Elijah Express was great fun (and it's always funny to see Sabu get twatted like that).

That RVD / Sabu match was a right mess, though, wasn't it? Didn't they botch a million things in about 10 minutes?

Link

9.44 for the sabu twatting

• Paid Members
Forgot to mention Bob Holly vs RVD. Most people only remember it for the massive cut on Holly's back, but there was a bloody good match going on around that.

Absolutely, it did overshadow it a lot, it was a very good match.

You could probably chuck in that Originals v New Breed 8 man tag from Wrestlemania, too, that was pretty good.

I missed the last few months of it, did Regal have any good matches with anyone towards the end when he had that little group going?

Maybe it's due to 21 years of conditioning but I enjoyed WWECW much more than the original ECW.

I remember loving the triple threat title match with Punk, Miz and Morrison (Survivor Series one year I think). Also loved the Dreamer/Sandman vs Mike Knox and Test match at the show in the Hammerstein Ballroom.

• Moderators
I missed the last few months of it, did Regal have any good matches with anyone towards the end when he had that little group going?

Yeah, him and Christian had some fine efforts. He also continued his streak of Always Having a Top Quality Match With Goldust Without Fail there.

ECW was probably the best Christian ever looked. It was certainly the perfect level for him.

Archived