Best matches discussion from WWECW

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been given weird looks for saying that WWECW was better than the original. It's easily the longest I've ever watched a TV show and not stopped when it's been on. It had a winning formula and you knew what you were getting every week.

As for best match, the D2D version of Hardys/MNM was absolutely stunning. I'd probably go with the Swagger/Christian match which was mentioned from Backlash though, and that fued on the whole was great fun.

I think it's safe to say there is only one reason why so many people have a downer on ECW, and that's because of it's name. It did so much for so many people. It revitalised old veterans like Regal, Viscera and Goldust, it built new stars like CM Punk, Sheamus and Kofi Kingston and it made Christian look like the biggest deal ever and, evidently, it had tons of great matches. The only problem was it wasnt XTREME~ enough for the sort of cretins who chant E-C-DUB at TNA PPVs, but anything that pisses them off is fine by me.

I have to say, this is totally one of the best threads on here in a while.

I love WWECW.

The only thing I loved about WWECW was seeing Justin Credible getting owned by Kurt Angle. That was worth the price of seeing Credible forced down everyones throats for 2 years on the original.

Probably been mentioned but absolutely loved Rob Van Dam vs Kurt Angle!

I will always have a fond spot for the rematch between the Originals and New Breed that was extreme rules the show after WM23, just a really fun match with a terrific finish as said.

I remember at one WWECW being the best brand they had going. It was a one hour show of really simple, solid storylines with a terrific roster of Punk, Miz, Morrison, Bourne, Swagger, Dreamer, Delaney, Big Daddy V, Extreme Expose and others which was a lot for one hour a week. They would routinely get raped in the draft like SD would but then rebuild again from what I recall. Even when they brought it back initially with loads of the originals it was one of my favourite times in the last ten years just because it felt a bit different (06 was a really entertaining year as a whole from what I remember).

• Paid Members

It really was a great show. Shame there isn't anything like it at the minute. A one hour show with decent wrestling, a belt and some storylines is a great format for any wrestling show.

Miz and Morrison were great on it. They came across as huge stars on a show like this. It was a great place for green guys to learn and old wrestlers to teach. I miss it. I actually preferred it to Heyman's ECW.

• Paid Members
I actually preferred it to Heyman's ECW.

How old where you when ECW was at it's peak in 1995/96? 10/11? I was only 15/16.Still a WWF mark. I don't think any of us can really judge. By the time I was able to see ECW regularly, it was a long way past it's peak. Most of the best talent was elsewhere. I think watching something like ECW after the event is almost pointless. I think the beauty of ECW was in following it at a time when it was ofering something that WWF and WCW couldn't possibly match. Watching ECW after living through WWF of 1997/98 makes it seem much, much tamer too.

Wasn't ever a fan of the new ECW. Can see why some did but to me, it was as dull as most find Raw every week now. Not all of it, but most of it. Been watching some of the matches in the links and it's good stuff though.

The little feud Sheamus and Goldust had in early 2009 was very good. That produced a couple of great matches.

They quickly had to forget about it though when they moved Sheamus to Raw and made out that he was unstoppable, infact they may have even advertised him as undefeated.

The only problem was it wasnt XTREME~ enough for the sort of cretins who feel the need to split all references to it off into a separate thread, so as not to bespoke their beloved EC-Dub.

Fixed ;)

• Paid Members

How old where you when ECW was at it's peak in 1995/96? 10/11? I was only 15/16.Still a WWF mark. I don't think any of us can really judge. By the time I was able to see ECW regularly, it was a long way past it's peak. Most of the best talent was elsewhere. I think watching something like ECW after the event is almost pointless. I think the beauty of ECW was in following it at a time when it was ofering something that WWF and WCW couldn't possibly match. Watching ECW after living through WWF of 1997/98 makes it seem much, much tamer too.

yeh ECW is something i think that will baffle a lot of newer fans, they can't really appreciate just how different and ground breaking it seemed at the the time. I missed the 05/06 'peak' but got into it around 97, after that i went on a fucking binge and watched as much as i could. It is without doubt my favorite time as a wrestling fan.

I can see why new fans don't really get it because most indies looks similar to ECW nowadays and shit is so readily available but for the people who caught it at the time it was some special shit.

I don't think any of us can really judge.

He wasn't "judging" though, was he? He was stating his preference and why he liked it. Just like other people are allowed to pretend Heyman's ECW is better because it reminds them of being young (but older than WWF marks), rebellious and still believing they'd have sex one day. And seeing a man fall off a balcony through a table for the first time.

To some extent, your point is right, for some of us anyway. Wrestling is a genre that, for me, only really works in the moment and nostalgically. This is the same reason I think everyone who reads results before watching the shows is an utter divot. Back catalogue stuff that I wasn't there for just leaves me cold, most of the time. I wouldn't piss on a Bruno Sammartino match if it had chemical burns, and I can't get into all that NWA shite with the Four Horsemen. I've got the ITV Wrestling boxset and never even taken it out of the shrink wrap because every World of Sport match I've ever seen has been turd. It was all before my time -- but I'm sure it's grand stuff to the people who were there, man. And at the same time, look at all the people who think everything in wrestling that happened before [arbitrary marker] was miles better than everything in wrestling since. If "you've only seen it in retrospect" is a case for an opinion being invalid, so is "you're only looking at it through the rose-tints."

But ECW was a strange one, because I was a huge fan of it until I actually saw it. Powerslam was my only contact with it for ages and made it seem fantastic. I was thrilled when I heard it was going to be shown over here. Then I remember when it first came on TV (it was quite out of date episodes on Bravo, I think?), I didn't even make it through the first show. It was rubbish. But I think that was right around the height of the attitude era for me, when The Rock won his first WWF title, so as you say, ECW was old hat by then.

As for a nomination: Kelly Kelly vs Kelly Kelly's Awkwardness, a feud which started on the very first episode of WWECW and later graduated to Raw and continues right to this day.

Sorry, but what a load of utter shite, Pitcos. Plenty of fans enjoy watching older footage of wrestling, regardless as to whether you "judge" them as being "divots". There is a ton of wrestling I've enjoyed when watching completely out of contexy, such as WCW, Hogan at the first few 'Manias and things lile Michaels' initial run.

Wrestling is an umbrella term for a wide range of entertainment which is banded together due to a core few principles, hence as to there is such a massiveley varied taste amongst fans.

Archived