RIP Dom Travis

Big Benny HG

When Joey Hayes told me about this I was shocked on Sunday and gutted to say the least. Like what Johnny said in a business where dick heads and egos are common place Dom stood head and shoulders above the rest as he was one of the most likeable and humblest people ive come across in this crazy world of wrestling.

As a wrestler he had skills and got it. He understood the game and how to work a crowd and when he wrestled he was very fluid but never lost sight of the fact that it was entertainment. If I ever saw him he would ask for bits of advice but then he would apply it too. As mentioned before he had a bit of a hybrid MMA gimmick going and would ask questions on it but then do it too.

I always remember going to UFC 70 at the M.E.N by myself and thinking it was gonna be a boring affair if there was nobody to talk to or bounce off. I got in my seat and looked up and there was Dom sat right next to me. The biggest indoor arena in Europe that was sold out and there is Dom sitting in the seat opposite me lol. We had a good laugh that night but he studied every aspect of it to try and pick up on stuff that he could use to incorporate into his gimmick.

I kinda lost touch with him over the past couple of years other than occasionally speaking to him on Facebook as he was not getting around shows like he used to and dedicated himself to GPW with his Kastor Levey gimmick (just further enhanced the fact that he was capable of pulling anything off that was placed in front of him) though it was my understanding that he was looking in becoming more active with wrestling again.

Bottom line is he was a great hand in the ring but an even better person out of it which is why I think a lot of good friends and colleagues who knew him are finding it real hard to come to terms with at this time. All I know is that he was one hell of a good man and its a tragedy that he has gone far too young.

I know you are peace now my friend

God bless you Dom

Keith

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still in shock at the news......must admit reading that write up brought memories flooding back as well as a tear to my eye,would be nice to have a minutes applause perhaps with a video tribute at the upcoming fsw/gpw shows

Totally agree. I think some kind of tribute would be fitting - especially at Futureshock where I witnessed some of Dom's truly epic and memorable matches. I hadn't seen him wrestle in quite a while but for me he will always be part of the fabric of Futureshock where his wrestling was just pure class.

I am still in shock over this news, so unexpected and sudden as it was. My sympathies go out to his many friends and of course to his family. May they have the strength to cope with their very sad loss.

Dom was a great bloke and a very talented wrestler. I hadn't spoke to him for about 4 years when we were both working a RDW show but have some great memories of the big lad. I can only echo what a lot of people have said, he was a true gentleman. There were only 4 of us in Lance Storms advanced training class in July 06 but he was without a doubt top of the class. I have a vivid memory of going to dairy queen with him after our last session. As soon as I had any booking power in iwf, he was top of the list to bring in and defend my belt against.

Again I didn't know Dom personally but a few years back I wanted to look into being a manager and asked Dom about Futureshock on Facebook, he told me it was something they'd never done but to come down and it could be a learning thing for both of us. I went down there and Dom took me to one side and went through the basics with me as quickly as he could before the class started and just seemed like a really nice genuine guy. He even tried convincing me to give it another shot when I said at the end of the session when I said I didn't think I'd go through with it. He did enough in 1 session and a few facebook convos to prove he was just one of those guyd who would take the time to help anyone.

Maybe a fitting tribute for Futureshock to rename the Trophy Tounament to the Dom Travis Memorial in honor of the first holder?

How did he die?

To my knowledge, it's not been made public as to how he died as yet. As I think dave rayne said when he was posting the news "details are light", and I don't think it's really any of our business to know how because if, as it has been suggested, it was a sudden death, his family and close friends will need time and privacy to come to terms with their loss. All that really matters is that the world of british wrestling has lost one of it's good guys :(

To my knowledge, it's not been made public as to how he died as yet. As I think dave rayne said when he was posting the news "details are light", and I don't think it's really any of our business to know how because if, as it has been suggested, it was a sudden death, his family and close friends will need time and privacy to come to terms with their loss. All that really matters is that the world of british wrestling has lost one of it's good guys :(

Fair enough.

• Paid Members

Interacted with Dom a small bit when I worked at the GPW shows for a few years. Seemingly a very humble and nice man. I enjoyed his crazy portrayal of Kastor LeVay. A seemingly really nice bloke and a real shame this happened.

RIP Dom Travis.

Here are some of my Dom Travis memories..

August 14th 2004- Futureshock 1-The Debut

The first Futureshock show, the opening match, Paul Zantar vs Dom Travis or "Dom T" as he was called at the time, perhaps to distinguish from Kris Travis. One thing Dom did do was participate in a lot of big occasions during his career. This match against Zantar being one of them, a very impressive debut.

October 17th 2004- GPW Hero's Welcome

On the night where Chris Hero makes his final defence of the Grand Pro Wrestling Heavyweight title, Dom Travis makes his GPW debut teaming with Danny Hope, Jiggy Walker and Tony Sefton to face Matty " D'Lyrium" Richards, Jamie Flynt, Dave Rayne and Paul Zantar.

January 16th 2005-GPW Last Orders at the Legion

The final Grand Pro Wrestling show at the British Legion in Leigh, Lancashire, Dom Travis was added to a six man tag alongside Darren Burridge and Carbon as they faced Dave Rayne, Simon Valour and Declan O'Connor. Didn't see this one as I was backstage doing the music but I remember it getting a great reaction from the crowd.

February 3rd 2006/March 3rd 2006-GPW Back With A Bang/Hold Tight

This wasn't a match as such, Dom made his full time debut as a member of Damage Control and attacked me and Krev, WKD and Project Ego in a angle. A month later, Dom competed in his first main event as he teamed with Sean Macleane (as Damage Control) to take on WKD, Kev and Krev and Project Ego in a Four Way Tables Match.

June 7th 2006-GPW Midsummer Madness in St Helens

I actually had a match against Dom at this event alongside Krev and Jeff Matthews which I really enjoyed, even took the Northern Lights Bomb!

November 4th 2006-Futureshock 11- The Trophy Tournament Final

After stellar bouts against Dirk Feelgood and Simon Valour in the run up, finally, after nearly a year of waiting, Dom finally faced Damon Leigh. I had hoped I would be able to find the comments I made about this match at the time but they sadly seem to have been lost in the UKFF Archives. Anyway, I remember this match being a true classic in every sense of the word, it built and built with some great brawling, grappling, submissions and false finishes and I stilll remember it pretty well 6 years later which is truely a testament to Dom and Damon's abilities. Fortunately for people who may have missed this bout, it wouldn't be the only one. This was also the night where Dom really arrived as a top singles performer and established himself as "The Man" in Futureshock.

GPW January 2007-June 2007, The Rivalry with Heresy

In 2006, Dom had travelled overseas to train with Lance Storm at the Storm Wrestling Academy further perfecting his craft, this inspired the management of GPW to repackage Dom as top face and he returned at Back With a Bang 2007 to save Dirk Feelgood from a beating by SIN. Heresy and Dom would battle over the next few months without a clear winer being decided but they sure were some epic brawls. That being said, Dom would have an even bigger role to play in GPW in years to come.

October 21st 2007 Futureshock 20: The Underdog vs The Man.

This was the culmination of a feud that had escalated during the year. Matty wrote a blog about it that you might enjoy reading...

http://stopmeifyouthinkyouveheardthis.tumb...-with-the-champ

May 5th 2008-Futureshock 24: Changing of the Guard

Sam Bailey had won the 2nd Annual Trophy Tournament at the end of 2007 and set his sights on Dom's title. He finally got his shot at Futureshock 24. Dom and his cronies, Clinton Steele and Sam Baxter had attacked Sam earlier in the night and Dom ran in and pinned Sam seemingly ended his championship dream. However, at the end of the show, Dom made another challenge and an injured Sam returned and a fantastic match ensued. Now those who had been following the shows regularly knew that Dom had never lost a match since 2005 and with the title on the line, the stakes couldn't be higher. It was an edge of your seat affair and even though Dom lost, he put Sam over the right way, that was the kind of man he was.

March 20th 2009- GPW Living on the Edge:Kastor Debuts

Many were surprised to learn Dom had taken on the persona of Kastor Le Vay. When I spoke to Dom about it, he always seemed happy with it, happy to be doing the character because it was "something different". Dom as Kastor, went on to aid Heresy in his quest to defeat The Young Offenders and win the GPW Tag Team Trophy and pretty much dominate the tag team division for the next two years, much as he had the singles division in Futureshock. Interestingly enough, he achieved another first and is he so far the only person to simultaneously hold the Futureshock Tag Team Championship and the Grand Pro Tag Team Championship at the same time.

August 16th 2009-Futureshock 37,The 5th Anniversary: The Rematch

Three years on from the classic at Futureshock 11, Dom and Damon met one more time. I had really been looking forward to this match for some time, ever since the idea of an Anniversary show had been mentioned so I was glad when it was finally announced. This match wasn't the main event but it was still great, it was more of a strike based affair, close to a MMA shoot in some cases but I really did enjoy it, it was a treat for old and new fans alike. Dom made one more appearance in Futureshock to lose the Tag Team Titles he had won with Clinton at Futureshock 40 and put over Vitamin C (Carl Clinch and Xander Cooper) in another example of how selfless he was. After this, Dom would concentrate on his Kastor Le Vay gimmick full time.

GPW 2010-2011-Paradise Lost

Heresy and Kastor, Paradise Lost as they came to be known, dominated the tag team division, taking on all challengers. They had a really great "No Holds Barred" Match at GPW "A Few More Good Men" in May 2010 ,against the Mystics, Voodoo and Suzuki. He also appeared in the Torneo Cibernetico that same year whilst in the midst of their feud with RJM and Sam Bailey. This feud had its fair share of controversy but in the ring, the action was always above average. Dom's final match occured at GPW Battlefield (on May 5th 2011) when they finally lost the tag team trophy to RJM and surprise partner Chris Echo.

However, this would not be Dom's final appearance, at the end of the year, Dom filmed a skit to set up Voodoo's match with Heresy at the December event. Dom would interfere, as Kastor, in an attempt to aid Heresy.

In closing, Dom Travis was a truely remarkable performer, a great friend, top trainer and all round nice guy who will be missed by family, friends and peers.

1981-2012

• 1 month later...

Archived