Mad Eli

martinQblank

Few years ago for some reason i was sent a load of badges and leaflets relating to an odd looking fella called Mad Eli. Years passed never heard of him again until i bumped into him at one of alex shanes supershows - there was a crazy loon in a berret surrounded by some so called wrestlers who seemed to be his bodyguard.

Anyond know who he is/was, as never heard of him wrestling or promoting.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He's been a wrestling fan longer than any of us have been alive. Must be in his 80s or something now, mental. Really gets into it. Knightmare or someone that's been on the circuit for many a year would be best placed to go into more detail.

Yeah, he's famous for going to wrestling shows and being batshit crazy, basically. I think he's promoted shows in the past, but not a lot.

I have visited him at his home (He eventually had to move for health/age reasons) IMO he is a really nice, genuine guy? Eccentric as hell & promoted some truely awful shows. The type of person who should stick to being a fan, I reckon? But not nearly as mad as he would try & fool you into believing. He had it tough growing up, But turned his life around & has raised a tonne of money for his charities.

• Paid Members

Never met him myself, and what I said wasn't meant as a slur on the guy. I'm sure he's lovely, I'm just going off what I've heard, which is that he acts crazy at wrestling shows.

Seen him at a few shows and he's great. He's not rude or anything, he just likes getting chants going and getting people into the wrestlers. Talked to him once or twice briefly but he was quite polite and easy to chat to. He's great at getting fans into the heels.

Never met him myself, and what I said wasn't meant as a slur on the guy. I'm sure he's lovely, I'm just going off what I've heard, which is that he acts crazy at wrestling shows.

Don't think he or his friends would take it as a slur? You cant carry on like Eli does without people ripping the piss. I seriously doubt he would lose any sleep over anything but the harshest of comments :laugh: Last time i saw him was at a wrestling reunion in the rain, I gave him a hug, Which made me no dryer but did warm my heart :love:

I have never met Mad Eli but bought some videos from him in the late-1990s or so. He ran his own promotion called M.E.G.A. If I am not mistaking(?), he is the uncle of wrestlers Danny Boy Collins and Peter Collins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHFZkU7wMU - here is a video of MEGA Children In Need '91 intro, also features a young William Regal and Owen Hart.

• Paid Members
I have never met Mad Eli but bought some videos from him in the late-1990s or so. He ran his own promotion called M.E.G.A. If I am not mistaking(?), he is the uncle of wrestlers Danny Boy Collins and Peter Collins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHFZkU7wMU - here is a video of MEGA Children In Need '91 intro, also features a young William Regal and Owen Hart.

He once sent me a keyring with a photo of himself wearng union jack boxers :( Seems like a nice old fellow though, used to have a basement full of toys and people would chuck coins into his courtyard for charity.

Seen him at a few shows and he's great. He's not rude or anything, he just likes getting chants going and getting people into the wrestlers. Talked to him once or twice briefly but he was quite polite and easy to chat to. He's great at getting fans into the heels.

If you need an old man with some fooking badges to convince the people around him to boo you, you shouldnt be wrestling....

• Paid Members

Except that's not true, and is a really silly thing to say. Nobody said anything about anyone relying on him, or the crowd being totally silent if he didn't do anything. It's not like we're talking about some clueless guys having a stinker and causing everyone to walk out, then Eli goes "NO, BOO HIM!" and they all turn round and are suddenly super in to the match. He's just a cheerleader figure - they pop up at shows all the time, and heels singling them out is a tactic as old as wrestling itself. There's nothing wrong with a fan egging on other fans, and it doesn't mean anyone in the ring should automatically quit wrestling.

Archived