Mad Eli

martinQblank

• Paid Members
Seen him at a few shows and he's great. He's not rude or anything, he just likes getting chants going and getting people into the wrestlers. Talked to him once or twice briefly but he was quite polite and easy to chat to. He's great at getting fans into the heels.

If you need an old man with some fooking badges to convince the people around him to boo you, you shouldnt be wrestling....

What are you on about? Who even said anything like that?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think its fair to mention that Mad Eli was advised about 6 months ago to stop attending wrestling shows on medical grounds, and as far as i know he has complied.

Shame really, as in my experience there was no one more enthusiastic or vocal with his support to the faces and derision to the heels , officials and valets.

He was also very helpful in putting together a wrestling memorobilia exhibition for a local artist that was displayed in the Colston Hall in Bristol when it was reopened, and was in his element talking to the public and showing off some of his collection.

As it was said before, Old David probably has more contact with him than anyone else. Maybe he will give us an update?

If you need an old man with some fooking badges to convince the people around him to boo you, you shouldnt be wrestling....

Rather than say a Commentator on television or the MC at the show itself?

Only read about Mad Eli, sounds like he could of been the inspiration for the ECW superfan Hat Guy.

• Paid Members

Rather than say a Commentator on television or the MC at the show itself?

Only read about Mad Eli, sounds like he could of been the inspiration for the ECW superfan Hat Guy.

I doubt ECW hat guy had any idea who Eli was.

As you have already been told by a few other board members, that was a silly argument as nobody implied that was the case :rolleyes:

I have never met the guy but from what I read in this thread, Mad Eli sounds like an ideal crowd member, i.e. an enthusiastic and vocal fan :cool:

Seen him at a few shows and he's great. He's not rude or anything, he just likes getting chants going and getting people into the wrestlers. Talked to him once or twice briefly but he was quite polite and easy to chat to. He's great at getting fans into the heels.

Hes great at getting the fans into the heels??? Dont try and mug me off you bunch of spastics.

• Paid Members

Hes great at getting the fans into the heels??? Dont try and mug me off you bunch of spastics.

Now, now... no need to be a twat. It makes you look like a twat.

• Paid Members

You're being a real idiot now. Nobody said the heels were having trouble getting people drawn in themselves, just that Eli (and indeed, odd characters in other crowds) help with that and make the experience more fun than it already was. Nobody's trying to mug you off. Calm down and think before you make sweeping statements for no reason.

• Paid Members

So any fan that gets into the spirit of things and cheers who they should and boos who they should is a bad thing cos the wrestler should be over without the fan responding as they should? Sorry, I'm slightly confused as to what your issue is here, so how about you come out and say it instead of being a twat?

• 1 year later...

To dig up an old thread

Mad Eli Collins is remarkably probably the person who the phrase 'Fans shouldn't be promoters' was invented for.

He probably is the person responsible for teaching Peter Staniforth everything he knows about wrestling and promoting.

Undoubtedly keen and a prolific charity fundraiser but this is as far as his association with wrestling should of gone.

He successfully killed Bath Pavilion as a major wrestling venue going from bought in shows , under the MEGA banner, in the early 90's with the Owen Hart Danny Collins a brilliant shining example of probably the best live nights wrestling show ever seen outside of the ALbert Hall in the UK , to thinking he was a star that the paying public wanted to see and being a very rapid decline in quality, crowds, venues and interest to a promoting nadir which included a near headline show featuring ( and this is no joke) Steve 'flasher' Parker v The Mean Biker ( remember this is wrestling and not a gay prono) as some 2 bit dog eared community centre in a place where it wasn't safe to park your car.

All this from the highs to shitarsery in a few short years.

He was also notorious for playing off different shitarsery promoters lewis blain & scott ryan etc with promises of bookings which failed to materialize.

Great as a fan but he really should of been told years ago to stop interfering with the shows he attended or promoting.

He once attempted to commit suicide during his crown court trial for offences under the obscene publications act . ( He was renting out dodgy smutty videos for charity ! ) . He was subsequently cleared by the jury of these allegations.

He also isn't a long time wrestling fan his wrestling connections started in the early 80's when his nephews Danny & Glynn (Pete) took to the canvas and you will often see him and his badged hat on the old WOS reruns in the crowd when Danny is on the bill.

He enjoys his wrestling but I am not sure if the same can be said that people enjoy him at the wrestling.

He sent me a rather bland badge which said "wrestling is fun" years back in the 90s. He also included a photo and some info on himself.I assume he got my address from power slam 'this 'n that' where I was looking for tape traders. I remember not quite knowing what to make of it.

Doesn't he post on here as timelord?

No Eli does not and has not ever been any active participant of any internet discussion forums. I don't think he even uses or has ever used the net.

As a fan he is fine and enthusiastic

The problem he has is that his enthusiam spilt over into him beliving he was part of any show he attended.

Punter should remain just that Punters.

Shame really as he is nice bloke to chat too about wrestling away from a show and he had a great wrestling tape collection and a very big scrapbooks of memoriabilia from the true golden ages.

As I said in my previous post its really as if Peter Staniforth is a younger version of him.

Archived