Unnecessary Additions... *RAW SPOILERS*

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

So rather than the battle between the so-called 'Best in the World' between Jericho and Punk, Jericho has now added the 'Punk's daddy liked a scotch' slant to the angle, shoehorning the story into another direction. Personally I think it's an unnecessary addition to the angle. It's just been thrown in there to spice up and angle, but it jsut seems so out of place and away from what the angle was about.

A lesser known example would be early 1992 when Brian Pillman was after the Light Heavyweight Title and also added he was fighting for all the auto-workers and what not who were losing there jobs because people were buying Japanese cars or some mad bollocks in his feud with Jushin Liger.

Can we name or add any other unnecessary additions to wrestling angles, that took a story line into a worse or different direction that just didn't work.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Surely it's just Jericho being a manipulative bastard?

It might be. I just feel that it's an unnecessary addition to the angle.

EDIT: Sorry everyone, forgot about the potential spoilers in there.

• Paid Members

Worked out the opposite in the end, but the WrestleMania X7 main event was originally meant to be based round the idea of Debra McMichael being in Rock's corner. The audience shit all over it so they dropped it and somehow having the two biggest stars of their generation fight for the title worked out as a big enough draw on its own.

• Paid Members

Lucy the dog being added to the angle for a Wrestlemania main event. Between that and the Triple H/Stephanie stuff, Jericho looked like a right knob in the build up to that.

He was meant to be the undisputed champ. The guy who beat Austin and The Rock back to back. The man to beat. Yet throughout the whole angle he was stood around like a spare bollock while the real feud went on. He was like an extra in a soap, except we knew his name. Like Winston in Eastenders.

It didn't matter anyway because Hogan/Rock would have overshadowed it no matter what they did but it could have been better,

• Paid Members

Hogan and Rock is very much like Rock and Cena, for me. Look at the amount of shit WWF did for the Rock vs Hogan feud. They had gold in their hands with that amazing promo battle in Chicago. Which was followed by a bloody contrived truck into an ambulance angle, Rock disappearing to film a movie, leaving Hogan to play second fiddle to Scott Hall in his feud with Austin, then Hogan beating Rock CLEAN on the go home show (imagine if they did that now?). It was one fuck up after another compared to how amazing the build up could have been. Whoever was writing WWF at the time, should have been shot with shit. They seemed to fuck everything up.

It mattered little though, because the night of WrestleMania X8, the spectical of it all washed away the shite moments. I imagine thats how it'll be like for Rock vs Cena. They could possible take away some PPV buys, but no matter what they do, they wont kill the heat in the building.

A lesser known example would be early 1992 when Brian Pillman was after the Light Heavyweight Title and also added he was fighting for all the auto-workers and what not who were losing there jobs because people were buying Japanese cars or some mad bollocks in his feud with Jushin Liger.

That was cringeworthy stuff. And needless because by the time the Superbrawl match came around, it was just worked face v face anyway. I remember one instance which was just excrutiating, might've been at the preceding COTC, where Pillman cut what was essentially a heel promo on the stage, and it just made him sound like a racist cock. Johnny B Badd was hanging around like a spare prick and got lamped.

A lot of wrestling fans are morons though, and I'm sure WCW knew their audience, so it probably worked in terms of getting fans behind Pillman.

• Paid Members

That was cringeworthy stuff. And needless because by the time the Superbrawl match came around, it was just worked face v face anyway. I remember one instance which was just excrutiating, might've been at the preceding COTC, where Pillman cut what was essentially a heel promo on the stage, and it just made him sound like a racist cock. Johnny B Badd was hanging around like a spare prick and got lamped.

A lot of wrestling fans are morons though, and I'm sure WCW knew their audience, so it probably worked in terms of getting fans behind Pillman.

It was that exact clip I watched last night that made me think about it as well. Pillman had just worked a face match as well. WCW booking while sexy in 1992 could be a bit 'I beg ya pardon' on occasion. It was a fucking awful promo, not the delivery but just the mad content of it all. Liger beat me in a wrestling match, SHIT! Toyota sales will skyrocket. At least the Superbrawl match was lush.

Hogan and Rock is very much like Rock and Cena, for me. Look at the amount of shit WWF did for the Rock vs Hogan feud. They had gold in their hands with that amazing promo battle in Chicago. Which was followed by a bloody contrived truck into an ambulance angle, Rock disappearing to film a movie, leaving Hogan to play second fiddle to Scott Hall in his feud with Austin, then Hogan beating Rock CLEAN on the go home show (imagine if they did that now?). It was one fuck up after another compared to how amazing the build up could have been. Whoever was writing WWF at the time, should have been shot with shit. They seemed to fuck everything up.

It mattered little though, because the night of WrestleMania X8, the spectical of it all washed away the shite moments. I imagine thats how it'll be like for Rock vs Cena. They could possible take away some PPV buys, but no matter what they do, they wont kill the heat in the building.

At least with the Cena - Rock feud they seem to have a bit of direction ( and so they should considering the time they've had ) as opposed to the Hogan - Rock feud which lacked any sort of direction and was quite obviously booked on the fly.

• Paid Members

At least with the Cena - Rock feud they seem to have a bit of direction ( and so they should considering the time they've had ) as opposed to the Hogan - Rock feud which lacked any sort of direction and was quite obviously booked on the fly.

It was 2002, Vince had superstars coming out of his arse around that time and still nothing seemed to click right.

When Paul Heyman unearthed some woman who claimed to be the Undertaker's former mistress or something en route to Taker/Lesnar II at No Mercy 2002. It already had some nice heat building from the non-finish of the first match, and a decent little angle going on top of that with Lesnar breaking Taker's hand and Taker subsequently using the cast as a weapon. The mistress angle was just bizarre, especially given the two characters involved in the feud (neither exactly suited to a 'love triangle' storyline) and seemed to be quietly dropped by the time the PPV rolled around.

Archived