Unnecessary Additions... *RAW SPOILERS*

WWFChilli

The spooky videos were spooky videos for the sake of it, as only a thorough moron would have really expected the horror stuff to have any real relevance to wrestling.

Why's that?

Because if someone came out doing a Ringu gimmick, all that would happen is Sandman would cane them to fuck for being a stupid idea on an early episode of ECW. There's no way the tone and content of those videos translates to coming out and doing panto for 8,000 hillbillies unless you're some kind of Undertaker rip-off (with a woman involved somewhere), and even then, it'd only be a very tenuous link to the content of the videos at best... And it'd be impossible to hit the right notes. If they had tried to tie it in, it would still have resulted in something stupid like Jericho going "I'm going to end the world... By winning the Royal Rumble!" or whatever the fuck he did say on Raw the week before the Rumble. Because he'd still be a wrestler on a wrestling show, and all that apocalypse bollocks would be Cena-Kane terrible only with even less of a point.*

For the sake of fantasy booking -- if there is anyone on here who genuinely thought something akin to the videos could be delivered once it's a wrestler in front of a live crowd, any actual ideas you can think of that you would've been satisfied by?

*Just a thought, maybe they did have something planned then changed their minds because they didn't want to have someone else doing ghost train shite in case it diluted Kane's return.

It's still not completely mad and out of the realms of possibility though that WWE might have gone the "spooky" route with those early videos (before anyone knew for sure it was Jericho). Kane, Undertaker, Boogeyman, The Brood, Mordecai etc have all had silly, spooky/gothic videos in the past. I'm not for a second arguing that it would have been a good idea (certainly not for Jericho), but it's not that crazy to think some fans thought it would be some new, scary character.

As for it ending up being Jericho, it still seems a real waste of time to run all of those vids just so Jericho could brush it all off with "Ha, got Ya! I was trolling".

As for your (for the sake of it) fantasy booking question...

About the only way I could think of following those vids up (and retaining the tone somewhat) would be with some kind of Cult Leader type gimmick. Similar to the original Cyrus character back in '97, only this time he's using his End Of The World talk to build an army of followers. It of course all gets exposed as bullshit and he gets his ass kicked by someone, probably one of his followers who has broken out of the brainwashing. Hokey enough for you?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Pitcos, don't really see why anyone is a definite moron for presuming the videos would deliver something related to what the videos implied. I don't remember anyone really expecting a proper hokey, horror movie-esque character like your examples anyway. There's s bunch of ways it could have gone really and personally, I'd think anyone who expected it all to have no real relevance, with all that time and work spent on it, to be a moron and full of shit.

It's still not completely mad and out of the realms of possibility though that WWE might have gone the "spooky" route with those early videos (before anyone knew for sure it was Jericho). Kane, Undertaker, Boogeyman, The Brood, Mordecai etc have all had silly, spooky/gothic videos in the past. I'm not for a second arguing that it would have been a good idea (certainly not for Jericho), but it's not that crazy to think some fans thought it would be some new, scary character.

But those videos weren't anything like Kane, Undertaker, Boogeyman etc. When wrestling does "scary" characters, it does them as cartoons. Those videos weren't tonally relevant to some bloke walking down the aisle with his hair over his face and weird makeup on, carrying a stick with smoke coming out of it. The videos also promised it was a returning character, so any fans who thought it was a new character would have to be idiots. It was always going to be either Undertaker or Jericho (or maybe Vince), unless they put up enough cash to bring Bossman in.

As for it ending up being Jericho, it still seems a real waste of time to run all of those vids just so Jericho could brush it all off with "Ha, got Ya! I was trolling".

Jericho loves trolling though. They needed content to get there. The plausible explanations are the one that we got, or that there was another idea that they axed. I find it hard to believe that the original plan was something other than the best in the world feud with Punk too. Perhaps the initial idea was for Jericho to return via Stephanie because she wanted revenge for that time Punk didn't shake her hand six months ago, but I'm not sure the feud would be any more potent at this point because of it. And it still wouldn't have had much to do with empty swings, the boy facing the corner of the classroom or the end of the world.

About the only way I could think of following those vids up (and retaining the tone somewhat) would be with some kind of Cult Leader type gimmick. Similar to the original Cyrus character back in '97, only this time he's using his End Of The World talk to build an army of followers. It of course all gets exposed as bullshit and he gets his ass kicked by someone, probably one of his followers who has broken out of the brainwashing. Hokey enough for you?

Would you really enjoy a wrestler going around telling other wrestlers they should join his cult because the world's going to end, Eddie? It seems like the sort of thing everyone, including you, would rip to pieces the day after it aired. We already had a less silly version of the cult storyline with CM Punk in the last couple of years, too (twice, kind of).

Pitcos, don't really see why anyone is a definite moron for presuming the videos would deliver something related to what the videos implied. I don't remember anyone really expecting a proper hokey, horror movie-esque character like your examples anyway.

What did they expect? One of those subtle psychological horror characters that wrestling is famous for? That's where the moronic expectations come in, see.

There's s bunch of ways it could have gone really

Aye, but none in keeping with the video. Unless they just did more of them until the end of the world happened.

Would you really enjoy a wrestler going around telling other wrestlers they should join his cult because the world's going to end, Eddie? It seems like the sort of thing everyone, including you, would rip to pieces the day after it aired. We already had a less silly version of the cult storyline with CM Punk in the last couple of years, too (twice, kind of).

No, it would probably be complete shit. Like I said, I wasn't advocating them doing some weird new character spin, just saying it's not completely impossible that they could have considered it, or that people might have thought that was the case when watching those videos.

Undertaker was a Satanic Cult Leader type for a bit, that was pretty cool at the time (though they blatantly went too far/shit when they had Taker "sacrifice" Mideon on RAW).

The Jackyl character was a David Koresh style Cult Leader at first too, but they bailed on that one.

In all fairness thats very similar to what RTC did and that worked quite well in my opinion.

And in my opinion, yes, they could of successfully pull off a gimmick if they wanted to go down that route. Besides, the videos (to me) were so much 'hammy horror', but rather more psychological in nature. Jericho COULD of returned, targeted wrestler 'x' and slowly reveal the reasons for it down the line.

Not saying it would of been any good nessesarily, but to outright state that it wouldn't work having a wrestler return related to what was going on in the video is just not true in my opinion.

• Paid Members

In regards to the thread topic, like i said in the Raw thread - Jericho is a jealous, insecure and cunning bully. Any opportunity he gets to get one over on Punk and gain the psychological edge, no matter how underhanded it is, he'll take. To him, losing at Mania isn't an option. Makes perfect sense to me.

Id like to see Rock Cena have a showdown next week and CM Punk come out and say he is fed up of them and mention he is the champ and Jericho come out and try and get some of the rub an attention on the big title match and who is going to steal the show

I prefer watching Jericho and Punk more than Cena but even I'd shit on that, I can't think of anyway to make Jericho and Punk look anymore small time than doing that, unless they end up twatting Rock and Cena which 1. Isn't going to happen 2. Wouldn't make any sense

Plus the casual viewer would just be sat there saying "why are these two midget dickheads interrupting Rock and Cena?"

• Paid Members

Next week, Rock is going to come out with Cena's Mam and they are going to do a live sex show, ala Edge and Lita. Then the week after, it's going to be Rock vs. Cena in a Cena's Mam on a forklift match but Cena's Dad who's in Cena's corner turns on him by running him over with the forklift. Then on Smackdown, Cena kidnaps Rock's Mam and buries her in the desert. Then at WM, she's turned up in a mental institution. But The Rock springs her. Then WM is changed to Cena vs. The Rock, his Mam, his Dad, Rock's Mam and the whole Hart family in a handicap match.

What do you mean it's unnecessary?

Id like to see Rock Cena have a showdown next week and CM Punk come out and say he is fed up of them and mention he is the champ and Jericho come out and try and get some of the rub an attention on the big title match and who is going to steal the show

I prefer watching Jericho and Punk more than Cena but even I'd shit on that, I can't think of anyway to make Jericho and Punk look anymore small time than doing that, unless they end up twatting Rock and Cena which 1. Isn't going to happen 2. Wouldn't make any sense

Plus the casual viewer would just be sat there saying "why are these two midget dickheads interrupting Rock and Cena?"

If Rock's not there next week, Jericho or Punk interrupting Cena to try and steal some spotlight could definitely work. Jericho could pull out the "I beat The Rock and Austin in the same night" material, Punk could mention beating Cena twice in the summer or whatever. It makes more sense for Jericho to do it, because he's all arrogant and Punk's busy crying over everyone finding out his dirty secret that he's talked about loads of times. Cena vs Jericho is a decent enough Raw main event, although I have zero interest in it because the last million times they fought didn't grab me.

• Paid Members

First one that pops to my mind was Jericho being awkwardly inserted into the Cena vs Christian feud in I think 2005?

The feud between Cena and Christian had been built up so well, with Christian actually carrying himself like a Main Eventer and throwing Jericho in there, with no build up, and making it a three way feud, just totally diluted it.

I mean, sure, if they'd had Jericho turn heel during the feud, it'd be one thing, but doing it before Cena and Christian even had one singles match together? It just made it clear that they were never going to have any faith in Christian as a draw.

• Paid Members
The "Save_us" videos were far more of just a message being sent ("Jericho is blatantly coming back everyone") where as this time it was all about the "she is coming" and "end of the world" stuff. The fact that a lot pf people thought they were for the Undertaker shows how far away from Jericho's character they were.

Given that Taker is spouting off about ending an era and has a t-shirt proclaiming him the "Apocalyptic Warrior", maybe those promos were intended for him, at least in the initial concept?

First one that pops to my mind was Jericho being awkwardly inserted into the Cena vs Christian feud in I think 2005?

The feud between Cena and Christian had been built up so well, with Christian actually carrying himself like a Main Eventer and throwing Jericho in there, with no build up, and making it a three way feud, just totally diluted it.

I mean, sure, if they'd had Jericho turn heel during the feud, it'd be one thing, but doing it before Cena and Christian even had one singles match together? It just made it clear that they were never going to have any faith in Christian as a draw.

Jericho reckoned he was added to that match because if it was just Christian vs Cena, the crowd would've turned on Cena.

Given that Taker is spouting off about ending an era and has a t-shirt proclaiming him the "Apocalyptic Warrior", maybe those promos were intended for him, at least in the initial concept?

With a woman who bosses him about?

Jericho was inserted in that feud due to the fact that the cena boo's where just starting to take off. In an interview with Powerslam, I can't remember if it was Jericho or Christian said that. They brought Jericho in to sway the crowd so Christian would not get cheered so much and Cena boo'd so much, i guess in a 3 way it wouldnt be so obvious that most fans were pro Christian and anti Cena.

• Paid Members

With a woman who bosses him about?

Jericho doesn't have a woman bossing him about, nor is he referring to the Apocalypse in any way.

Taker wins 0.5 to 0.

Archived