Hecklers at comedy shows

herbie747

Hecklers at comedy shows  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
And how is that even a joke? Your way off.

You made a pun. A pun is a type of joke.

Look - here are the facts:

* You shouted up your own joke at a comedy show - and you think that's okay. Fine - that's your prerogative.

* I hate when people do that, and I propose most other people do too. Fine - that's my take on it.

* I started a poll to let the people decide who is right. So no more need to argue with me - the poll will decide how the majority feel about it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I once answered my phone at a comedy night, which the act took as a heckle, he came over, grabbed the blower and then started doing sex talk down the phone.

To be fair, Richie, I would have kicked you in the face and thrown you down some stairs for that. And that's just as an audience member.

• Paid Members
And how is that even a joke? Your way off.

You made a pun. A pun is a type of joke.

Look - here are the facts:

* You shouted up your own joke at a comedy show - and you think that's okay. Fine - that's your prerogative.

* I hate when people do that, and I propose most other people do too. Fine - that's my take on it.

* I started a poll to let the people decide who is right. So no more need to argue with me - the poll will decide how the majority feel about it.

It was neither a pun or a joke, it was an acknowledgement for something he did that I enjoyed. Would the various 'Foley Foley' chants be described as puns or jokes too in your world?

To me, if your doing it to try and throw the comedian off, or trying to make a joke at their expense, that's bad. Showing support for something you like is a different thing. If it was a straight comedy show, I'd agree, but it wasn't, it was full of Foley actively getting the crowd to participate and even sing songs. So again, please get your facts right before you paint me as someone trying to get a laugh at the comedian's expense.

• Paid Members
Cunts of the highest order. Unfortunately, it's a practice that has been tolerated for so long by the big comedy clubs & their reliance of stag/hen/office party bookings that you can't really ban it any more. You can guarantee that 99% of the time the heckler will be the one person in the group who considers himself the 'funny one', doesn't like the fact that his friends aren't laughing at him so will try & reaffirm his 'funny' status by trying to get one up on the act.

The idea that it's 'helping out' the act or adding to the night is a myth, in the 6 years I've been running comedy gigs I can count on 1 hand the number of actually, vaguely witting heckles that have garnered a laugh. The acts absolutely hate it as (pro-acts) will have their set rehearsed so every pause, glance etc is timed to get the best response & the flow of their set will be interrupted. If the comedian has to take 2 or 3 minutes out to deal with an audience member, that's likely a routine out of their set that now needs to be omitted so they don't overrun.

A heckler at a comedy night is the equivalent of a vocal, smark in the front row of a wrestling show.

So if Rey-rey gets on stage wearing his finest Stan Lee infringement and tells the same joke for 8 years, the fans aren't allowed to rip on him for it?

• Paid Members
So if Rey-rey gets on stage wearing his finest Stan Lee infringement and tells the same joke for 8 years, the fans aren't allowed to rip on him for it?

No, of course not. You've either bought a ticket to see a certain comedian or bought a ticket to a night with a mixed bill. If you've bought a ticket to a individual show & it's the same show you've seen before you should've paid more attention when booking your ticket, most comedians name their tours to avoid this very issue.

If you're seeing a mixed bill & one of the acts does material you've seen before just wait til' the next act. How could that possibly give you the right to interrupt him/her? What about the other audience members sitting around you who may not have seen that act before? It's basic manners.

• Paid Members

No, of course not. You've either bought a ticket to see a certain comedian or bought a ticket to a night with a mixed bill. If you've bought a ticket to a individual show & it's the same show you've seen before you should've paid more attention when booking your ticket, most comedians name their tours to avoid this very issue.

Wrestling fans don't get that luxury as few wrestling shows outside of Brian Dixon are the same, hence your comparison of hecklers to smarks is proven to be unfair.

Wth comedy acts you can tell how funny a guy is early on in his act. You'll get the usual applause when they step on stage, if they can't engage the audience within that first minute they'll die on their arse. If they tell a joke and the crowd is either dead silent and you can hear a mouse fart next door. Or the crowd are just chatting amongst themselves then there's very little the comedian can do to turn it around. When a comedian is dying like that then heckle away, it's like a comedian's 3 minute warning and the best thing for them to do is duck and cover for the short time they're there. With a show where you're paying to see a big name then it's a different matter, you sit down, shut up and let them get on with it, they should hopefully lnow what they're doing. If they're shit, then heckle at will.

• Paid Members
Wrestling fans don't get that luxury as few wrestling shows outside of Brian Dixon are the same, hence your comparison of hecklers to smarks is proven to be unfair.

Not really, both are ignoring the social ettiquette of the event in question. At a wrestling show you're meant to cheer for the good-guys & boo the bad guys. At a comedy show you're meant to shut the fuck up during the build-up & laugh at the punchlines. Both hecklers & vocal smarks are ignoring this to get themselves over at the expense of the performer. The comparison is apt.

Wth comedy acts you can tell how funny a guy is early on in his act. You'll get the usual applause when they step on stage, if they can't engage the audience within that first minute they'll die on their arse. If they tell a joke and the crowd is either dead silent and you can hear a mouse fart next door. Or the crowd are just chatting amongst themselves then there's very little the comedian can do to turn it around. When a comedian is dying like that then heckle away, it's like a comedian's 3 minute warning and the best thing for them to do is duck and cover for the short time they're there.

That's really not true. Ideally a comedian should come out with a strong opener to get the audience's attention but it's not always like that. Anything could've happened to throw them off their game a little, shit gig before yours, been stuck in traffic & got to the gig just before stage-time, argument with the missus, ill child etc. They're still just people & there's no one size fits all rule. I've seen plenty of acts start off slow & finish strong. Sometimes (if they've not seen the rest of the show) they've got to spend the first few minutes judging the room. How many bands have you seen that take a couple of songs to relax into their set? It's not uncommon for live performers to take a bit to settle in.

• Paid Members
Not really, both are ignoring the social ettiquette of the event in question. At a wrestling show you're meant to cheer for the good-guys & boo the bad guys. At a comedy show you're meant to shut the fuck up during the build-up & laugh at the punchlines. Both hecklers & vocal smarks are ignoring this to get themselves over at the expense of the performer. The comparison is apt.

So how are people who genuinely want the product to change in a good way supposed to voice their views in a way that the performer will take notice? by buggering off and doing something else?

Archived